Getting a new car

Chat forum for every auto enthusiast. Show off your ride and discuss anything related to cars, bikes, gas prices, etc.
Easto
SG Elite

Getting a new car

Post by Easto »

The wife has been wanting a "little" SUV and we've come to a point where I'm finally looking at what's out there and how much.

She's pretty much set on a Honda CR-V. But here's my question, I'm not sure if we should get a gasoline only or Hybrid model. My first thought is that here in California we might eventually see surcharges for registration and licensing if your car does not meet certain requirements or mileage standards. I can also imagine higher gas prices as a way to nudge people away from a gasoline only powered vehicle. The way things are going I get the impression that in about 10 years the only thing you're going to be able to buy is a Hybrid. Since we usually keep our cars for at least 10 years I'm not sure if a gasoline only model would be the best choice?

Thoughts?
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I've had a couple of Honda CR-Vs and they're great for family travel, plenty of room and cargo space. I like them better than Toyota Rav4 and other smallish SUVs, the CRVs are very spacious inside. One of our current cars is a 2014 Honda CR-V. The engines just keep on going, very reliable cars overall. That said they're a bit underpowered at highway speeds, and you can't use them to tow much (I did tow a 750 lbs bike on an open trailer a couple of times on the highway, and it handled it ok though). Earlier years had higher road clearance and were ok even for some off-road driving, newer SUVs tend to be lower on the road roomier and more van-like targeting regular on-road driving. At highway speeds the cabin would be a bit noisier than premium cars, but in tune for its class.

The 4-cylinder engine sips gas so you will get very good mileage. In my opinion the hybrid version is not any better. It adds weight with the electric motor, the system becomes more complex, more expensive to buy and maintain over the years. I'd save my money now and if you want you can buy next car a couple of years early with those savings ;) (even though with the reliability you don't have to).

I've had both the AWD and 2-wheel drive models... AWD is good for a bit more grip on mountain roads, snow, dirt, rain, etc. The rear differential is a bit small, it only kicks in when needed, but shaves off about 2mpg from the mileage, and needs its gear oil changed every 30-40k miles.

As for times changing you are right, but you can always go all electric. Even if Cali imposes taxes on gas cars, they'd start with the gas-guzzlers, 8/6-cyl engines, and newly sold cars, so you'd likely be grandfathered in.

Just my thoughts.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

We're definitely sticking with Honda. Our 2014 Accord is awesome and I'm pretty much sold on their cars. Being old school I'm sure I'll probably just go straight internal combustion.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I can't believe it's been 10 months and we're still looking. The wife changed her mind and now wants a Pilot. I have no problem with that but the big problem is finding one in the color and interior color she wants. I thought that since this is more of a "want" than a "need" we could take our time and shop it to death. I've been scouring all the local Honda dealerships for the past 8 months and nobody is dealing let alone having the model we want. And all of them still want a premium over MSRP. This is getting tougher than I thought.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I thought you can just go to honda.com and find or build one?
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

The dealerships will let you "reserve" one for something like $150. But... it could be up to 6 months before it arrives, there are no guarantees. I've even been told that most of the cars on some lots have already been spoken for. Plus, all the dealerships I'm running into are getting $3k - $4k over MSRP right now and that just rubs me the wrong way. I'm checking inventory about every 2 weeks and if they have what I want I'll call them, but so far I haven't been too lucky.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

They should start running specials on the '22 models in September.. But you're right, it's a tough time to buy both new and used cars, everyone is saying inventories are low, incentives are scarce, and the shortage will continue through the end of the year.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

The problem I seem to be running into is that every dealership has 100 of the models we don't want but the Touring model only shows up about once a month and not in the color we want. I was speaking to a salesman the other day and they asked me if I would consider a different color or interior and when I said "no", they emailed me about 2 hours later and said that there is not one of those in all of California. Oh well, I keep looking. I'll need to take the wife to a dealership and see if there's some other color she'd like, The thing is that they have the color/interior in other models but they all have black wheels (sport model). There are tons of those but if we get one that means I'm going to have to pay $2k to swap out the wheels at a later day. Besides, the sport only comes in black interior. Sorry, I'll stop.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Well, a year and a half later we got it! 2022 Honda Pilot SE 2wd. You have no idea what the market is like out there. I basically had to have my checkbook ready when I walked onto a lot because nobody had the model and color we wanted. I think there were about 3 of them on So Cal. Anyway, I got what I thought was a good price and walked away happy.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Nice, congrats!!! :) I imagine with interest rates rapidly climbing and the economy outlook getting gloomy new car sales are also slowing down to a manageable level.

What color did you end up getting? The last 3 cars I bought have been silver or gray, seems to work well not overheating in the sun and looking ok even when a little dusty from sitting outdoors.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

The attachment Honda Pilot.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Honda Pilot.jpg
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I would have picked another color (it's growing on me) but this is what Mrs. Easto wanted. I know what you mean about dust showing up on darker colors and I'm sure I'll be spending even more time massaging my OCD trying to keep it clean.

About the car being hot in the sun... you do know how to use the Key FOB to lower all your windows at once? It even opens the sun roof.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Looks sharp!

Holding the unlock button on my BMW X3 keyfob lowers all the windows, not sure if it works on the CR-V actually.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Marvin_Rall wrote:Regarding the Honda CR-V, the Hybrid model may be slightly more expensive upfront, but it can offer better fuel efficiency which can result in long-term savings. However, it's also important to consider the maintenance cost, which may be higher for a hybrid.
This is basically our "2nd" car and will probably only get about 4k - 5k miles on it per year. Any major maintenance on the pilot doesn't happen until about 100K miles and anything else that requires draining or changing can be done here at home. I have also installed a VCM disabler to ensure that any of the VCM related problems don't manifest themselves further down the road. Actually we're very happy with the Pilot. When we're out driving in it and I see a CR-V I always think how happy I'm am that we didn't go with that choice. Bigger is better. This is a really nice car with plenty of room.