What are you driving and how's it treating you?

Chat forum for every auto enthusiast. Show off your ride and discuss anything related to cars, bikes, gas prices, etc.
Easto
SG Elite

What are you driving and how's it treating you?

Post by Easto »

2014 Honda Accord LX with 55K miles.
We purchased this car new. I know that after 6 years and 55k miles I really shouldn't expect anything to be wrong with it... and I'm glad to say it runs like a top. We've taken the car on a couple of 1000 miles vacations and the thought of anything going wrong never enters my mind. I am really happy with our choice. I have no doubts that this car will see 200K and still be running like a champ.

2011 Cadillac DTS with 54K miles.
I inherited this car when my father passed away. He always had any required work done on it at the dealership. Some of these models with the Northstar engines get a bad wrap, but I have to say that this car is bone dry underneath and does not throw out any trouble codes. To me, it runs and feels as if it was new. I've only had to do regular maintenance on it. Although we may be getting near a new set of struts and shocks, that is about the only mildly expensive repair I can see coming my way. I think I've got a really solid build here.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

2011 BMW X3 (90k miles, bought about a year ago at 80k) - I like it, got a great deal on it and it has big enough engine + all-wheel drive so I can easily pull my small boat with it :)

2014 Honda CR-V ~70k miles, my daughter drives it now, great car. A bit more noisy cabin than the BMW, but more volume, low maintenance. I was driving it for a year or two before that and I like it a lot. Great family car, lot of utility, but only 4-cyl engine so not great for towing anything. I had a 2007 CR-V before that and it performed without any issue for years. It went up to about 200k miles with only the AC compressor and alternator having to be replaced.

2012 VW Jetta - my wife drives it, ok car, no major issues, I don't like it as much as Hondas/Toyotas though.

I've had more than 10 cars over the years.. Always bought used though.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

2014 Honda Accord LX with 55K miles.

Great car.

Last Jan 8 I acquired this clean, well maintained 2012 Prius C. It may be the best car I've ever had. Clean CARFAX and now has 112k miles on it and it runs like new. I'm planning to keep this Toyota for several years, probably at least 5 years. I love it. I've had a few new cars before but lately I'm into good, well maintained used cars. I average about 45 MPGs around town. On the highway it probably gets 50 or more MPGs. Have had a couple Hondas before, Toyotas, 2 Nissans, but I think Toyota is my favorite -- if it's been maintained. It's kind of a small car but the drivers compartment is plenty roomy enough for a 6' tall person like me. The way this thing runs is way beyond compare to anything else I've ever driven. It was love at first drive.
The attachment DSC_7245.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
DSC_7245.jpg
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I like Hondas and Toyotas. That said, the thing that scares me in Prius is the dual systems, you have both an internal combustion engine and an electrical system, so twice the number of parts that could go wrong, twice the possible maintenance cost. Actually it could be more than that, since not many mechanics can work on their electrical systems, or replace battery cells. It is just my personal hesitation, I'd much rather buy an used all-electrical vehicle, but the good ones are still a bit too expensive for my taste. A friend of mine has a Tesla Model-S and the full self-driving is a blast.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

the thing that scares me in Prius is the dual systems, you have both an internal combustion engine and an electrical system, so twice the number of parts that could go wrong, twice the possible maintenance cost. Actually it could be more than that, since not many mechanics can work on their electrical systems, or replace battery cells.
The attachment 86418755_10156507128802202_628170913006747648_n.jpg is no longer available
But their parts don't go wrong. Read the reviews of the typical Toyota, including the Prius.
The Prius C is the most reliable Prius of all. I learned this after I acquired the car.
I'm on Prius C forums and they're super reliable. Would you believe the brake pads are original and have 50% left on them? And the hybrid battery is original at 112,000 miles? $1500 is quite an expense if I ever do need to replace the hybrid battery, but I'm OK with that and I have doubts I will see that day.

There are no belts in my Prius. Actually they're much lower cost to maintain than you probably realize.
The batteries typically are good up to about 200,000 miles. If it does go I can buy a new one that's lifetime guaranteed for $1500 and they come here to install it. Toyotas are typically the lowest cost to maintain of all cars. As with all cars, some years they have made lemons. My year and model is not one of them.
Attachments
86418755_10156507128802202_628170913006747648_n.jpg
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Most Toyotas with a clean CARFAX will virtually run forever.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

We're really happy with our Honda. So far just regular maintenance. I just did the rear brake pads about a month ago and I have the new front pads ready to install once I get the motivation. This car has cost us almost nothing in repairs and parts. The biggest expense were the new tires at about 45,000 miles. When we take it on vacation (mostly highway driving) I can get 35+mpg out of it. We keep it in the garage and I try to stay on top of the washing, waxing and detailing myself. I expect to have this car for at least another 10 years. I will admit that it's pretty much a generic looking car and I sometimes refer to it as "urban camouflage", you can drive it around and nobody even looks at it or knows it's there, lol.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Easto wrote:We're really happy with our Honda. So far just regular maintenance. I just did the rear brake pads about a month ago and I have the new front pads ready to install once I get the motivation. This car has cost us almost nothing in repairs and parts. The biggest expense were the new tires at about 45,000 miles. When we take it on vacation (mostly highway driving) I can get 35+mpg out of it. We keep it in the garage and I try to stay on top of the washing, waxing and detailing myself. I expect to have this car for at least another 10 years. I will admit that it's pretty much a generic looking car and I sometimes refer to it as "urban camouflage", you can drive it around and nobody even looks at it or knows it's there, lol.
LOL, I feel the same about my car. My car isn't very handsome from some angles, yet I always admired the Prius c. I've got to the point where I really don't care how the public likes the looks of my car. I love my car as is.

I keep in in the garage much of the time. I wash it and wax it with Carnauba wax a few times a year and after other washes I spray wax it with Turtle Wax Wax & Dry which takes about 5 minutes to wax the whole car.
The only work I need t do on it in 2021 is an oil change in Sept if I choose to go 12 months with my ST oil. That's all she needs.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

My Prius C was made in Japan to exacting standards.
The way the doors close is unlike any other car I've had.
We're really happy with our Honda.
Hondas are great cars. I got a new Civic DX coupe in 1994 and put 253,000 miles on it. It was a great car.
sinnerbaby

Post by sinnerbaby »

Honda is a high-quality and well-proven car. I have a Honda Pilot - an SUV but small in size. When I bought it, I was most interested in its driving characteristics. I found a lot on the [spammy link removed by admin]Honda Pilot review , many do not like it, but to me it became like a dear. It works reliably thanks to its 280-horsepower V6 engine, and that's all that interests me today.
Ronny
Advanced Member

Post by Ronny »

i drive a 2015 ford f350vwith the 6.7 power stroke diesel.not yet broke in with just 48,000 miles on it.bought it new and zero problems.
my wife has a 2014 f150 with the 3.5 eco boost engine.she has 27,000 and no problems.
they cost more to drive but i feel safer in a larger vehicle.
fords8

Post by fords8 »

2011 Ford Taurus SHO is my main car.
Faust

Post by Faust »

2019 Lexus RC F. My only car. It's a Lexus/Toyota so it's been very reliable as would be expected.
"Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard
Faust

Post by Faust »

Oh, forgot to add the only real dislike for my car.

The mileage.

I average about 10.5mpg. I live ~3 miles from work so there's no freeway driving. Car says my average speed is ~13mph. So, the fuel economy makes sense. I don't even want to know what I would get running an entire tank in Sport+ mode.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, though.

- Leo Szilard
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Faust wrote:Oh, forgot to add the only real dislike for my car.

The mileage.

I average about 10.5mpg. I live ~3 miles from work so there's no freeway driving. Car says my average speed is ~13mph. So, the fuel economy makes sense. I don't even want to know what I would get running an entire tank in Sport+ mode.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, though.
5L V8... But it is rated at 16 city / 25 hwy mpg. I imagine it can't even warm up in the first couple of miles, that's why your mileage is so low.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Philip wrote:5L V8... But it is rated at 16 city / 25 hwy mpg. I imagine it can't even warm up in the first couple of miles, that's why your mileage is so low.
Oh, for sure. There's about 10 stoplights between home and work, which explains the ~13mph average speed. If my priority was economy I would have went with something else, but my monthly gas bill isn't very high since I'm so close. I knew the economy wouldn't be good going in to it. I was just a bit amused at how low it was.

- Leo Szilard
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

^^ I feel your pain. Our Cadillac gets about 9-11mpg around town. I think my combined mileage comes in around 14-15mpg. But that is due to only about 30% of my driving being on the freeway. The funny thing is if I do a Vegas run where 98% of the driving is freeway driving I can get 27 mpg out of the thing. We're actually going to be taking a Vegas trip in the next few days and we're taking the Cadillac. Between filling up at Costco and the 27mpg it's a decent value. I Always fill up at Costco before we leave and then once again in Las Vegas. If you wait to fill up until you get the the California/Nevada border or Baker you'll pay about $1.50 more per gallon. Besides, gas is incredibly cheap in Las Vegas.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Faust you could bike to work it sounds like, heh.
Ah Vegas... A lot of stuff is cheap there, most supported by us tourists.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Easto wrote:^^ I feel your pain. Our Cadillac gets about 9-11mpg around town. I think my combined mileage comes in around 14-15mpg. But that is due to only about 30% of my driving being on the freeway. The funny thing is if I do a Vegas run where 98% of the driving is freeway driving I can get 27 mpg out of the thing. We're actually going to be taking a Vegas trip in the next few days and we're taking the Cadillac. Between filling up at Costco and the 27mpg it's a decent value. I Always fill up at Costco before we leave and then once again in Las Vegas. If you wait to fill up until you get the the California/Nevada border or Baker you'll pay about $1.50 more per gallon. Besides, gas is incredibly cheap in Las Vegas.
I had a '78 Camaro that was very similar. 350 small block with a tiny 2 barrel carb due to economy restrictions being in effect when it was built (I was 18 when I got it in '88). If I drove like an 18 year old male with a Camaro, I'd go through a full tank of gas in a day racing around town. On the freeway I could almost get from OC to San Jose on a tank of gas, which was 21 gallons I think. Once you got the beast moving and kept its momentum going it suddenly got kind of decent mileage.

And yeah, gas is stupid expensive here in Cali. I recall the first time I drove to Spokane and seeing the price difference in gas on either side of the CA/Oregon border blew my mind.
Faust you could bike to work it sounds like, heh.
You mean, like... exercise? EEEEEEEWWW!!! :p

Joking aside, I've seen 2 people on bicycles get hit by cars. And, with the amount of vehicular douchebaggery I witness every day, I'd be signing my own death warrant. If there was a bike path that I could take that'd keep me away from traffic I honestly would do it.

- Leo Szilard