In Line fuel meter

Chat forum for every auto enthusiast. Show off your ride and discuss anything related to cars, bikes, gas prices, etc.
Far-N-Wide

In Line fuel meter

Post by Far-N-Wide »

I have a 56 VW bug that never came with fuel gauge. The tank holds about 8.5 to 9 gallons of gas. I can get about 200 miles to the tank on daily commutes to work. So I know when I need to get gas. Problem is I do not want to cut a hold in my tank to add a Float nor cut a hole in my dash to add a fuel gauge.

I remember years ago, there were in line kits you could measure fuel flow and set limits (digital display) for how much you have / used. I can't find them on any web searches. At least anything that uses standard 3/8 line hoses. I've seen some flow meters that are used for Fuel pumps that connect to standard 3/4 pump lines. But I don't think these will adapt for what I want. I was hoping for a sender inline that measure flow and pass that info electrically to a display I can mount under my dash. I really do not want to cut into my tank to add a float.
USAFRETIRED
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... gi?i=76666

http://www.xcshop.com/shop/product.php/ ... fuel-gauge (air craft, but no reason ti wouldnt work for a car I dont think)

Quick find, didnt look to hard. I'm sure there a cheaper ones.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

I'd get a replacement tank (if you want to keep your Bug around for a while....VERY worthwhile replacement)...and while you're at it, get a new tank with a sending unit for a gauge. This way you don't have to cut a hole in your tank. Lots of kits out there. And the tank replacement on Bugs is pretty much a piece of cake (as is almost any work on them). I'm guessing you have some parts catalogs already from places such as WolfsburgWest.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Far-N-Wide

Post by Far-N-Wide »

YeOldeStonecat wrote:I'd get a replacement tank (if you want to keep your Bug around for a while....VERY worthwhile replacement)...and while you're at it, get a new tank with a sending unit for a gauge. This way you don't have to cut a hole in your tank. Lots of kits out there. And the tank replacement on Bugs is pretty much a piece of cake (as is almost any work on them). I'm guessing you have some parts catalogs already from places such as WolfsburgWest.
I got the replacement tank. New old stock but just can't cut a hole it it. mostly because the tank is oddly shaped and there are no floats designed for it.
USAFRETIRED