Latest Pathfinder issue...won't start

Chat forum for every auto enthusiast. Show off your ride and discuss anything related to cars, bikes, gas prices, etc.
Humboldt

Latest Pathfinder issue...won't start

Post by Humboldt »

'93 Pathfinder XE

Brand new battery, she'll crank just fine but not catch. Same problem for weeks, normally I'd curse and wait a few minutes and it'd catch the next time I cranked it.

Couple weeks ago it just wouldn't catch, tried every 20 minutes for a couple of hours and again the next morning. Got it towed and had the distributor and spark plugs and cables replaced. Started up fine for a few days, then nothing.

Got it towed back to the shop, they couldn't get it started either. Checked to make sure it was getting gas and sparks, which it was. The mechanic went to lunch and when he came back it started right up. They upped the timing a little bit but otherwise said they couldn't figure out what was going on.

Started fine for the past few days, this morning...cranks and cranks but won't catch.

Any other suggestions? I like this shop and they seem competent so I'm probably getting it towed there again Monday AM. I could bring it to the dealer but figure they'd probably charge more and this other shop has already put several hours into it and know what's been done so far.

loop2kil
SG Elite

Post by loop2kil »

O2 sensor?
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

If its fuel injected I wouldn't crank it too much. If you get enough raw fuel in the cylinders it will eventually soak past the rings and collect in the oil pan. Had that happen to a mustang I owned. The mechanic pulled the oil dip stick out and you could smell the gas on it. He told me if I had manged to get it to start it would have likely blown the oil pan and probably the valve covers off. In my case the module went in the distributer and I wasn't getting any spark. I'm a retired electronic technician but car electronics are way over my head. There should be a code(s) stored in the engine management computer. The mechanic should be able to retrieve them. Is the check engine light on?
I don't know the same things you don't know. :confused:
RoundEye

Post by RoundEye »

Fuel, fire or compression. We know it has compression, you seen the spark. That leaves fuel, a dirty fuel filter or worst case an intermittent fuel pump.
Sliding down the banister of life ..........................
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Hey guys.

Turned out to be a bad connection in a cable that piggy backs on top of the positive battery terminal. I think it controls the fuel pump. The mechanic said it got 12 volts sometimes but only 2 others, which explains why the engine would start only sometimes.

Got the connection cleaned out and has been good for a couple of weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed.
RoundEye

Post by RoundEye »

Old thread I know but I’m going toot my own horn. I was close for once.

I said intermittent fuel pump and it was an intermittent connection to the fuel pump. :D
Sliding down the banister of life ..........................