Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Chat forum for every auto enthusiast. Show off your ride and discuss anything related to cars, bikes, gas prices, etc.
YARDofSTUF

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Post by YARDofSTUF »

My mother had a tire that needed to be repaired, after the tire was patched and properly inflated the low pressure light still comes on.

Talking to the dealership they said that every time you have a tire patched you need to have the tire pressure system reprogrammed for 90 bucks.

WTF?
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

I just bought a 2011 Ford Focus that has that feature. I'll have to read the manual and see what it says about that. I did skim though it and don't remember seeing anything about having to reprogram it after a flat, or low tire presser. It came with free set of winter tires mounted on steel wheels with pressure sensors, so I have two sets of wheels to deal with. If there is a fee I would think in my case my warranty should cover it. I have a road hazard coverage on the tires too.
How did your mother get the flat? Maybe the sensor was damaged and is still sending a low pressure signal. I haven't seen the actual sensor but I believe they are mounted inside the tire to the rim. Tire rotation generates the power to run them and they use a radio signal to transmit to the car?
I don't know the same things you don't know. :confused:
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

She had a nail in the tire, I read that some Toyotas you bring them up to certain pressure and back down to normal and it fixes it. Nothing on Nissans though.
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Have you tried Googling for tire pressure sensor and that make model of car? Looks like some vehicles use the anti-lock brake sensor and some have the sensors in the valve stem or mounted as I described above. Some vehicles have a dedicated reset button, and some reset it though the in dash information display.
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generation ... reset.html

Found that, but not happy with the answer.
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

If true, that sucks. :eek:
Might be easier to just take the bulb out. < I'm only half kidding with that last statement
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

Unplug the battery for a few mins then plug it back in..see if that resets the computer.
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

Won't that wipe out all the other saved settings as well?
Dan

Post by Dan »

yes it will,but it should clear the code.

the only things you'll have to reset is the radio settings.time/stations/tone,etc

I know on my 06 tacoma the spare tire has a sensor as well,you might want to check the pressure in the spare.
Mark

Post by Mark »

get a code scanner and clear codes, they are handy for trouble shooting other cars as well
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

It could be worse... In many of the newer cars the TPMS is also linked to VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist) and the main computer... If the TPMS is triggered, the car can be speed limited (BMWs ?), you may not be able to turn off VSA at all (Honda CRVs), etc.
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

Dan wrote:yes it will,but it should clear the code.

the only things you'll have to reset is the radio settings.time/stations/tone,etc

I know on my 06 tacoma the spare tire has a sensor as well,you might want to check the pressure in the spare.

Its not the spare, the way the warning light comes on is to flash quickly and then remain on solid, manual says its an error with the system when it does that.

Not sure my mother will like the idea of reseting the radio stations, time, all the bluetooth phone jazz, and if it knocks out the garage door code thats a pain to set up.
blebs

Post by blebs »

Sorry to say, but auto manufacterers are getting too far ahead with computer technology and for the normal blue collar worker, these vehicles are becoming unaffordable to fix. I was talking to a mechanic the other day about the costs involved in repairs. He was saying that they ought to make it a law that they place a sticker right alongside the sales sticker that shows what the most common repairs on a said vehicle will cost. Anymore, it's easy to get into $500.
Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates
Dan

Post by Dan »

blebs wrote:Sorry to say, but auto manufacterers are getting too far ahead with computer technology and for the normal blue collar worker, these vehicles are becoming unaffordable to fix. I was talking to a mechanic the other day about the costs involved in repairs. He was saying that they ought to make it a law that they place a sticker right alongside the sales sticker that shows what the most common repairs on a said vehicle will cost. Anymore, it's easy to get into $500.

yep! I work at dealers and bodyshops all the time,and see diagnostic units with windows logos on the monitors on them,and these guys tell me they have windows/software certificates to be a mechanic along with the grunt wrench work.
the car repair world is not like our 1966 nova days :nope:
joecool169

Post by joecool169 »

Year Make and Model yard, I think I can help you.
Joe
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

2009 Nissan Maxima
joecool169

Post by joecool169 »

From a forum I subscribe to for pro shop owners.

Nissan does offer a manual way of TPMS reset, so here it goes. First make sure that all tires are at tire pressure specs (registration ID sticker). Next locate the ALDL connector. There will be a TPMS single wire connector behind the DLC (ALDL)connector. Connect a jumper from single wire to grond. turn ign on koeo. Interrupt ground to wire 5 times within 10seconds--TPMS light will start flashing. Remove jumper,start engine (don't shut of ign before stating). Drive vehicle above 30 mph until light stops blinking (make take some time). inflate tires to recommended running pressure, reset procedure complete!
Joe
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

It has a start button, not a key, how do I do KOEO with that?
joecool169

Post by joecool169 »

YARDofSTUF wrote:It has a start button, not a key, how do I do KOEO with that?

I have not had one of these in my shop, so I am not sure. Another tech seemed to think that if you aired the tires up to proper inflation and drove the vehicle the light would reset on it's own. Did you read the owner's manual?
Joe
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

Ya, I inflated the tires to 34 psi, sticker says 33, went 1 over when the light stayed on. Read the manual after that and it says bring it in to be serviced as the sensor needs to be reset.
joecool169

Post by joecool169 »

Every TPMS problem I have ever had in my shop, I always found a way to reset without the scan tool. Only exception was a toyota I replaced a sensor in and had to program the number off the new sensor with the scan tool. But I have always performed resets without scan tool. This vehicle could be different. IDK, it's hard to help without the car. Sorry.
Joe
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

No need to be sorry, I appreciate the help. Just seems it'll have to go in for service to get the light fixed.
Joe
SG Elite

Post by Joe »

You put the car in relearn mode. The horn will honk... starting with the left front let air out until the horn honks.. go to right front and repeat until horn honks, then go to right rear... then left rear.... once left rear is done the horn will sound twice and it will be reset... Your owners manual should have the method used for entering relearn mode which is ussually pretty simple.

I work for a tire company and tpms is pretty standard. This method works on all makes i have come across. The place that fixed your tire should not have let you leave before checking/resetting the tpms. If they refuse to reset it for free go somewhere else. we never charge for such a simple procedure. Where is your mother located yard?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
····

····
Joe
SG Elite

Post by Joe »

wow didnt realize how old this was.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
····

····
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »