defrost blower '93 Pathfinder

Chat forum for every auto enthusiast. Show off your ride and discuss anything related to cars, bikes, gas prices, etc.
Humboldt

defrost blower '93 Pathfinder

Post by Humboldt »

I've got something caught in the defrost blower for my Pathfinder. It sounds like it's straining, I can hear something caught in it, and want to fix it before it overheats the fan and burns it out.

Any ideas how to go about this? Not sure if I need to remove the console or not.

Any advice appreciated, I haven't found anything online yet.

Thanks
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

http://www.carparts.com/details/Nissan/ ... sh16720301

I've got one of these for my ranger.. best damn book I've ever purchased!
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Good suggestion, have been meaning to pick one of those up for years.
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

If I remember correctly just take out the glove box and that will give you access to get to the blower motor. Remove the 4 screws and see what you get on the other side.
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Rainbow wrote:If I remember correctly just take out the glove box and that will give you access to get to the blower motor. Remove the 4 screws and see what you get on the other side.
Thanks for the advice, Rainbow.

Would that be just the glove box itself (everything that swings down including the door) or the portion of the console that surrounds the glove box door as well?
joecool169

Post by joecool169 »

I'll look up the directions from alldata tomorrow morning for ya.
Joe
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

joecool169 wrote:I'll look up the directions from alldata tomorrow morning for ya.

Thanks, never heard of that.
joecool169

Post by joecool169 »

There are no directions in alldata just a picture. It is a .9 hour job for a skill level B tech, so it is fairly easy. Looks like through glove box opening. Also there is a TSB.

CLASSIFICATION: HA95-008a

REFERENCE: NTB95-043a

DATE: September 6, 1995

TRUCK/PATHFINDER BLOWER NOISE

This version of NTB95-043 amends the claim information in the Service Procedure. Please discard NTB95-043.

APPLIED VEHICLES:
1993-95 Truck (D21)
1993-95 Pathfinder (WD21)

APPLIED DATES:
Trucks built from January 1992 to May 11, 1995
Pathfinders built from July 1992 to December 26, 1994

SERVICE INFORMATION

If a rattling or rumbling noise is coming from the blower assembly, this may be caused by foreign material such as tree leaves entering the heating and air conditioning system ducts through the fresh air cowl intake.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Test the blower for the noise incident with the customer present.
2. If the incident is confirmed, inspect the right and left cowl top grilles and compare to Figure 1.

3. If the grilles are the old design:

A. Remove and discard both the right and left cowl top grilles (see Figure 2).

B. Clean the cowl box and install new cowl top grilles specified in this bulletin.

C. Remove the blower motor and clean all debris from blower motor, motor cooling tube, blower wheel and inlet duct. Re-install blower motor.

D. Submit a warranty claim for the grille parts, labor for installation, plus the labor to R&R the blower.

Parts/Claim Information
Joe
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

joecool169 wrote:There are no directions in alldata just a picture. It is a .9 hour job for a skill level B tech, so it is fairly easy. Looks like through glove box opening. Also there is a TSB.
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

If it stops raining I'll be out there today.

2 questions...when you say through the glove box opening, do I open the glove box and that gives me access to the screws I need to take out, or do I take the glove box out completely. I'm guessing neither method involves removing any of the console.

Second, what's a TSB?

thanks again.
joecool169

Post by joecool169 »

Technical Service Bulletin. Open the glove box, it should be clear, I would think. Have not done one of these recently.
Joe
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Thanks
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Well that was fun...took 2 hours and 3 beers.

Taking the glove box out, seems straight forward unless you avoid breaking those damn pins that hold the corners in. Are they supposed to be one use?
Beer

Took the blower out and, what a surprise, it's jam packed with dog food :D Could've used a little Asian hand to get that 3rd screw, damn

Before I put it back in I felt what it drew from to make sure there's no food that could fall in to clog it again.
Beer

Story 2: big ass black box with an opening leading into the blower motor. Sat just to the left of it. Had some filters in there that I guess filter the air it draws in before putting it through the blower. Filters to the left, huge open space full of dog food to the right.

No clear way to remove the damn thing. All bolts off and it wiggled a bit but wouldn't come off. Ended up pulling an access port off the front (electrical plug of sorts).

Cut a short section of small diameter PVC and duct taped it to a shop vac. Vacuumed out the space and cleaned the filter best I could.
Beer

Put it all back together.
joecool169

Post by joecool169 »

Set some mouse traps.
Joe