1999 Chevy Silverado - Sluggish Acceleration?

Chat forum for every auto enthusiast. Show off your ride and discuss anything related to cars, bikes, gas prices, etc.
purecomedy

1999 Chevy Silverado - Sluggish Acceleration?

Post by purecomedy »

Took my dad's truck for a spin and it sure seems to have some loss of acceleration and it's only around 130,000 km. I'm wondering if there's a problem somewhere like bad intake sensors or something.

Basically what I notice is unless you really baby it with slow acceleration the engine kind of pauses and sucks in a huge amount of air any time you press the pedal in an assertive way.

After 130,000 km surely the truck couldn't lose that much compression that it would have significantly less power would it?

....or am I just too used to driving a Honda with a responsive engine and Chevy trucks are just really finicky on the throttle?
downhill

Post by downhill »

I've had problems like this several times. Maybe a fuel pump going bad.

Once when the truck I had was warmed up it would do this. That one was a catalytic converter.
purecomedy

Post by purecomedy »

downhill wrote:I've had problems like this several times. Maybe a fuel pump going bad.

Once when the truck I had was warmed up it would do this. That one was a catalytic converter.
Interesting, not sure what the symptoms of a bad fuel pump would be....maybe you're right.

It's hard to say but I was thinking more along the lines of the engine kicking into fast idle even when it wasn't that cold. It seems like a weird thermostat, sensor or choke setting.

I know about 15 years ago my dad had his exhaust replaced (in another GM vehicle) and in the process they took out his catalytic converter (how times have changed!). I recall that he said the car seemed to perform worse rather than better which surprised me. You'd think in most cases reducing any back pressure would be good.

Know of any good automotive forums where I could pose the question to get some more opinions?
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Mass air flow sensor?
purecomedy

Post by purecomedy »

I thought something like that too...
Bastid

Post by Bastid »

maybe run some fuel injector cleaner through it see if it helps... i am assuming it has a FI system being a '99 and no other specs.
Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
[IMGO]http://www.volcanoesigs.com/inferno-09- ... 200-80.png[/IMGO]
purecomedy

Post by purecomedy »

Bastid wrote:maybe run some fuel injector cleaner through it see if it helps... i am assuming it has a FI system being a '99 and no other specs.
He runs fuel injector cleaner through there every 3 months.

Talking to a chemist at work a few years ago he actually said that he thought there is as much a chance that fuel injector cleaner additives would cause gumming up of injectors. The way he put it was that there are a lot of factors in creating clean combustion and 1 bottle doesn't cover all of those possibilities.

I don't know who to believe. Every 50,000 km or so maybe get them to manually clean off your injectors. That's the most effective way.
Chris
Location: Northern AB, CA, turn left Alaska, Turn right, Yukon Territoies

Post by Chris »

Hows the temparature gauge?
If its a little/ not alot, but a little higher then it should be, cat convertor may be plugging up
purecomedy

Post by purecomedy »

Chris wrote:Hows the temparature gauge?
If its a little/ not alot, but a little higher then it should be, cat convertor may be plugging up
If anything I'd say it's too cold not too hot. Remember, this is in Canada and winter is approaching.
jasonb31

Post by jasonb31 »

The only true way to clean fuel injectors is with the kit that you buy. It plugs into the high pressure fuel pressure test fitting in the fuel rail and you run the engine off of the tank of cleaner that you get in the kit. Take the truck to Auto Zone and they will plug into the computer and read any codes for you.
xekushnr

Post by xekushnr »

I'd say test the O2 sensors and make sure they are still operating in spec. If one sensor thinks the car is running rich, it will cut down on fuel and you will have a loss of power.

Is it gas or diesel?
helter

Post by helter »

purecomedy wrote:Took my dad's truck for a spin and it sure seems to have some loss of acceleration and it's only around 130,000 km. I'm wondering if there's a problem somewhere like bad intake sensors or something.

Basically what I notice is unless you really baby it with slow acceleration the engine kind of pauses and sucks in a huge amount of air any time you press the pedal in an assertive way.

After 130,000 km surely the truck couldn't lose that much compression that it would have significantly less power would it?

....or am I just too used to driving a Honda with a responsive engine and Chevy trucks are just really finicky on the throttle?
Changed fuel filter in the last 15K miles?
If not, start there, its $30 and easy to do. Once it starts getting trash it clogs and reduces the amount of gas the pump can run through the lines. You usually hear a fuel pump going bad in my experience.
joecool169

Post by joecool169 »

jasonb31 wrote:The only true way to clean fuel injectors is with the kit that you buy. It plugs into the high pressure fuel pressure test fitting in the fuel rail and you run the engine off of the tank of cleaner that you get in the kit. Take the truck to Auto Zone and they will plug into the computer and read any codes for you.
Actually motovac is the only way.
Joe
joecool169

Post by joecool169 »

xekushnr wrote:I'd say test the O2 sensors and make sure they are still operating in spec. If one sensor thinks the car is running rich, it will cut down on fuel and you will have a loss of power.

Is it gas or diesel?
O2 sensors would set the check engine light. A lazy or non switching O2 will cause the computer to change air fuel mixture to much. Sets code.
Joe
SeedOfChaos

Post by SeedOfChaos »

helter wrote:Changed fuel filter in the last 15K miles?
If not, start there, its $30 and easy to do. Once it starts getting trash it clogs and reduces the amount of gas the pump can run through the lines. You usually hear a fuel pump going bad in my experience.
I think this is a good idea, and also you may want to have a look at the air filter before you do anything more expensive. If the engine can't breathe, it will also be sluggish.
ex-WoW-addict
jasonb31

Post by jasonb31 »

joecool169 wrote:Actually motovac is the only way.
Thats what I was talking about. What other system screws into the high pressure line and cleans the fuel system while also feeding the engine to run?
evttech30

Post by evttech30 »

I actually have one in my shop with the same symptom. I have found a bad mass air flow sensor. Essentially not allowing enough air to flow into the engine while under a heavier load. Replace the sensor. Its the second 99 ive come across with this issue and both times thats what its been. Good luck
RaisinCain

Post by RaisinCain »

Bring it to a mechanic and have it looked at?
RaisinCain

Post by RaisinCain »

Maybe a tune up is in order? Just giving suggestions.
Joe
SG Elite

Post by Joe »

plugs - coil packs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
····

····
turtlecruz

Post by turtlecruz »

did you ever find out what was wrong with the truck i have the same problem
mobilervdj

Post by mobilervdj »

Do you have a check engine lite?? Get it scanned and if it pops P0171 and 172 That's a vacuum leak. I'd look at ex gaskets. as far as running Cleaner in the engine every 3 mo. that's over kill. you can burn up the fuel inj.