Sony DVD Player Isn't Loud Enough

Multimedia, digital images, photography, video, audio, related software, Photo[C]hopping, desktop screenshots, wallpapers, personal photos, digital cameras, pictures you'd like to share, digital video, avi, mpeg encoding, audio, mp3s, FLAC, codecs, etc.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Sony DVD Player Isn't Loud Enough

Post by Lurch »

Hi,

Would anyone know of a way I could get more volume out of this Sony DVP-NS300?
I picked it up at a thrift store for $5, plus I got a nice Panasonic DVD-A112 with Dialogue Enhancer (whatever that is), and remote for $10.
They both look good and play CDs flawlessly with no skipping and the Pansonic sounds good in my bedroom system.
They won't play MP3 CDs but will play DVDs and commercially made CDs well.

I hooked up the Sony under my TV and it plays but it's not quite loud enough, even with my TV turned up to 100 via the remote.
I could hook up the Panasonic under the TV instead, do you think it might be louder?
Then I could run the Sony in the BR for music CDs.

The DVD player I was using with the TV is a Sony DVP NS75H with HDMI.
Would the HDMI give it more volume, do you think?

TIA
The attachment s-l1600.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I would go through the audio output settings on that Sony DVP-NS300...

First, turn off AUDIO Attenuation
Audio DRC (Dynamic Range Control): set to TV Mode

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/24803 ... ml?page=61

Analog vs Digital audio outputs may have different sound levels as well, I'd try the HDMI.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Philip wrote:I would go through the audio output settings on that Sony DVP-NS300...

First, turn off AUDIO Attenuation
Audio DRC (Dynamic Range Control): set to TV Mode

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/24803 ... ml?page=61

Analog vs Digital audio outputs may have different sound levels as well, I'd try the HDMI.
Very interesting. Thank you Philip.
I was surprised to see that that remote from my Sony DVP NS75H works with this older Sony DVD / CD player.

Both Sony and Panasonic seem to be solid drives.
I've had Panasonic CD players that sounded amazing, especially the ones with MASH. This one is a bit bright but not bad.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

If you want a good sound, run it through an external quality amp/receiver, and good speakers ;) Get the sound out in digital form, and let the amp/receiver decode and process it. I like Yamaha receivers.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Philip wrote:If you want a good sound, run it through an external quality amp/receiver, and good speakers ;) Get the sound out in digital form, and let the amp/receiver decode and process it. I like Yamaha receivers.
I was running it through a Sony STR DH100 but went back to my older Sony STR VX22 and it sounds much nicer. It's about 35 WPC.
The DH100 doesn't sound very good for some reason. I got it for $35 on eBay from someone who happened to be local so no shipping cost. I'd like to sell it and get another older Sony or something to have as a spare.
I don't want to get an old one, even though they sound great, I don't want to have to take it a long way away to get serviced if it fails.

I'm quite content with the old STR VX22 in the BR and I run a Sony STR DE135 in the living room and IMHO it sounds quite good, much better than the STR DH100.

One of my Advent Baby IIIs was buzzing, and it turns out it needed a surround refoam, which I did yesterday. They sound great, IMHO.
I run those in the BR and Boston Acoustics A60s in the living room. It's bargain audio but these days I'm more into the music content than nitpicking about the tweeters like I used to do. I got these speakers cheap. :)
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I love Boston Acoustic speakers. I forget the model number of the towers I had but they were with me for a real long time. I removed the speakers and had the foam replaced and they were as good as new. Then... I got married and my wife's grandkids started poking their fingers into the speakers and ruined everything. They finally went to Goodwill. I really those speakers.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Boston Acoustics are great, I like Klipsch speakers but they can be a bit bright, depends on the room. Many older speakers with MDF/wood cabinets sound better to me than modern ones with composite/plasticky cabinets and smaller woofers.