Wondering About Audio Files on DVD

Multimedia, digital images, photography, video, audio, related software, Photo[C]hopping, desktop screenshots, wallpapers, personal photos, digital cameras, pictures you'd like to share, digital video, avi, mpeg encoding, audio, mp3s, FLAC, codecs, etc.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Wondering About Audio Files on DVD

Post by Lurch »

My new refurbed Dell Optiplex 7010 has a DVD burner as its only media drive. I was wondering if I could make audio DVDs of MP3 files I convert from online sources of old albums and play them in my my car's CD player by any chance. Or play them on my Onkyo C7030 on my home audio system.

Thanks for any advice. :)
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Your car cd-player will not like DVDs. It may, or may not play recorded CDs, as they have lower reflectivity than store-bought ones. Newer car stereos can play mp3-s if they are recorded simply as files on a CD-R. Depending on the make/model of the stereo you may be able to find the info on what formats it plays, some of them are even listed/stamps on the units.

Your home Onkyo C-7030 can play mp3s. Just record them as files onto a CD-R, it may not recognize sub-directories or file names with special characters/spaces in them, you'd have to try and see.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

My car is a 2016 Ford Fiesta. It's got a fairly powerful stereo with a 12" subwoofer in the trunk. It will play CDs and MP3 files on flash drive. I've never tried DVDs in it. The reason I asked is because I seem to have many blank DVDs from years ago.

I was collecting MP3 files on flash drives and those mini MP3 players. If I could do that with DVDs it would be a bit easier to use.
What it boils down to is the fact that I have more music than I'll ever need. XM / Sirius radio, Amazon Music Unlimited with access to 5 million albums, 2 or 300 CDs, MP3s, FM radio, music from youtube, Pandora you name it. ;) And to think I only listen to music a few hours a week these days.
I used to love loud music in the car but since I rear ended a car while listening to The Cult "Ceremony" cassette in 1993 I've been weary of doing that. I'd rather listen to no audio in the car and just listen to the engine and the sounds of the cars around me.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

DVD and CD use different lasers in general.. DVD players would read CDs, however CD players wont read DVDs. That said, some car stereos can read DVDs and DVD-Rs, but you'd have to try to see. My best guess is it would read CD-Rs with mp3s recorded on them simply as files.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Someone once told me about storing recorded records onto DVD. There was a type of DVD that stored huge amounts of vinyl files. I have many CDs of my old records in MP3s. The only trouble with those are that you have no direct track access to the songs. You can play the album but you have to listen to the whole thing as a single track. :)
samuelddarden

Post by samuelddarden »

You can try on your dvd or bluray player.