Samsung Blu Ray Player Shuts Off

Multimedia, digital images, photography, video, audio, related software, Photo[C]hopping, desktop screenshots, wallpapers, personal photos, digital cameras, pictures you'd like to share, digital video, avi, mpeg encoding, audio, mp3s, FLAC, codecs, etc.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Samsung Blu Ray Player Shuts Off

Post by Lurch »

Hi,

My Roku remote stopped working last night. I called Roku today and they were really helpful but we couldn't get the remote to work any more so they're going to send me a new remote at N/C so I can get back to WiFi TV which I have been liking.

So I changed the source on my 32" LED TV to try to go back to ethernet wired TV and turned on the Samsung BD JM51/ZA Blu Ray / DVD player (that's needed to navigate the HDMI screen for ethernet TV) and it plays for 10-15 minutes, then shuts off and will not turn back on with the remote. I seem to have to turn it on again manually by the button in front. Would anyone happen to know what it does this? I almost never play DVDs. Would it have anything to do with possibly weak batteries in the remote?

I guess I'm just going to wait until I get the new Roku remote if I can't get this Samsung unit to work right again. I haven't used it since I got the Roku Streaming Stick about 7 months ago.

Thank you.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

I put new batteries in the remote for it and watched it for about 14 minutes, and it shut off again. What I think I might have done was, forget to turn it off, and it burned itself out and shut off by itself after days or weeks, or even months. It doesn't have an off/on light on the stupid thing so I can't tell if it's on or not. Now I'm pretty sure it's junk.
Rivas

Post by Rivas »

it might be overheating or it's pretty much dead

the roku streaming stick is solid, why don't you subscribe to iptv ? the price is around 10-15 USD / month and you can find provider just searching google or ebay
To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

It may be the player, not the remote.
It could be locking up, or shutting off because of some protection (thermal or power).. Does it have a fan that could have gone bad?
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

DVD players/recorders as a component have given me more problems throughout the years than anything else. With my current player I can put a perfectly DVD in it and it will tell me to Insert Media. I put it in for the 2nd time and it runs perfectly. If it isn't one things it's another.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Rivas wrote:it might be overheating or it's pretty much dead

the roku streaming stick is solid, why don't you subscribe to iptv ? the price is around 10-15 USD / month and you can find provider just searching google or ebay
I've never heard of iptv.

Roku sent me a new replacement remote for my Streaming Stick and I also bought a new Roku Express the other night on sale for $25. At that price I might as well have a spare. They both work now and I have a gazillion stations. I'm on Youtube more than anything else. I find it very interesting and educational. The only service I pay for in Amazon Prime at $119 per year and I get free shipping on millions of products plus a lot of movies and TV shows. I also like the Roku Channel quite a bit. I was getting Netflix which was nice but I don't have time to watch so many shows.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Philip wrote:It may be the player, not the remote.
It could be locking up, or shutting off because of some protection (thermal or power).. Does it have a fan that could have gone bad?
I don't think so. I unhooked it and the ethernet cable attached to it because IMHO my WiFi connection to the TV is much nicer and with 2 Roku devices I should be able to use it at all times from now on. I have a Sony HDMI DVD / CD player I hooked up in it's place just in case I ever want to watch a DVD. :)
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Easto wrote:DVD players/recorders as a component have given me more problems throughout the years than anything else. With my current player I can put a perfectly DVD in it and it will tell me to Insert Media. I put it in for the 2nd time and it runs perfectly. If it isn't one things it's another.
I now have a Sony HDMI DVD player hooked up in it's place. I have more faith in the Sony name than Samsung. :)