Tripod advice

Multimedia, digital images, photography, video, audio, related software, Photo[C]hopping, desktop screenshots, wallpapers, personal photos, digital cameras, pictures you'd like to share, digital video, avi, mpeg encoding, audio, mp3s, FLAC, codecs, etc.
triniwasp

Tripod advice

Post by triniwasp »

Hello all, it's been a while. I'm experimenting with night sky/star photography. So far the issue I'm having is fuzzy stars. I'm guessing it's my uber-cheap aluminum tripod. So I came across a goldcrest 679 3 tripod for $35. Is anyone familiar with these tripods? I know it's old but I've heard they're well made.

Any other tripod suggestions for this type of photography are welcome (or any other suggestions for this noob). I know expensive Manfrottos and similar are probably optimal but I'm on a budget (especially after buying the camera :) ).

Thanks.
Feelings about religion: I believe in a dogma-free personal Prime Mover.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Do you think the tripod is moving while the shutter is open ? Are you using a cable release/self timer/remote, or pressing the button manually (this may help minimize vibration) ?
triniwasp

Post by triniwasp »

Yes, I do. I'm using the self-timer.
starWeb.jpg
Feelings about religion: I believe in a dogma-free personal Prime Mover.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Seems you know what you're doing... I hope it's not the lens causing the issues.
Unfortunately I have very little experience with tripods, from what I could find the Goldcrest 679L is a sturdy aluminum older Japanese tripod that may be just a bit heavier than the latest trendy ones. Its weight may actually be a good thing if it is windy ;) BTW, there is one on eBay for $16, auction# 201169788573
downhill

Post by downhill »

Trini the earths rotation is faster than you might think. Depending on your exposure length that might be an issue for you in that they aren't blurry cuz of instability but because you're seeing the beginning of star trails. Best to shoot manually like your doing with a very wide aperture the mirror open and use a remote. Maybe that might help. Even a manually shutter release should be ok if your careful.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.
Berliner89

Post by Berliner89 »

What about Manfrotto 055 PROB + Surui ballhead?
It's what I have and I'm quite satisfied.