Pentax announces a new body. The K-3.

Multimedia, digital images, photography, video, audio, related software, Photo[C]hopping, desktop screenshots, wallpapers, personal photos, digital cameras, pictures you'd like to share, digital video, avi, mpeg encoding, audio, mp3s, FLAC, codecs, etc.
downhill

Pentax announces a new body. The K-3.

Post by downhill »

24-megapixel APS-C CMOS Sensor
No hardware anti-aliasing filter
Simulated AA filter/moire suppression via SR mechanism (user-configurable) A really good idea imho.

27-point TTL phase detection autofocus (25 cross-type points in a 5x5 grid) Need to see how this works out with hands on tests. AF should be tons better than my K-5 which isn't that bad but not as good as a top of the line Nikon.
-3 to +18 EV operating range

New feature: multi-pattern white balance looking forward to see how this pans out.

The K-3 also has a new 86k-pixel metering sensor, which is nothing short of professional grade. The D7100 can only record up to 50 JPEG files or 7 RAW files at maximum resolution before reducing its framerate, and its full-HD mode is limited to 30 FPS. Compare this to the K-3's 60 JPEG / 23 RAW buffer and 1080i 60FPS recording.

Not sure of the sensor yet. Hoping it's made by Toshiba but more than likely it's made by Sony.

That said I think I'll sell my K-5 body and grab this.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.
cybotron r_9

Post by cybotron r_9 »

downhill wrote: Not sure of the sensor yet. Hoping it's made by Toshiba but more than likely it's made by Sony.
Looks nice, why Toshiba? Isn't Sony the king of sensors?
downhill

Post by downhill »

cybotron r_9 wrote:Looks nice, why Toshiba? Isn't Sony the king of sensors?
The Toshiba is supposed to have better results in low light over the Sony in this case. Other than that there probably isn't much of a difference. After reading reviews on this camera I'm sold. I do like the aspect ratio of ASP-C better than full frame and the idea that I don't have to replace my newer lens is an added plus. That said without a doubt the newer full frames just blow APS-C out of the water for picture quality in low light. Not that to me 1600 iso is worthless.... there are programs that do pretty good at removing noise.

Oh yeah...without a doubt Sony is the king of sensors.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.