Here's something you don't see every day...

Multimedia, digital images, photography, video, audio, related software, Photo[C]hopping, desktop screenshots, wallpapers, personal photos, digital cameras, pictures you'd like to share, digital video, avi, mpeg encoding, audio, mp3s, FLAC, codecs, etc.
Indy
SG VIP

Here's something you don't see every day...

Post by Indy »

The Boeing SGT (Super Guppy Turbine) landing at the airport here in Amarillo...

Super Guppy on Final at Amarillo by Sonic Aeronautic, on Flickr

Super Guppy at Amarillo Taxiing In by Sonic Aeronautic, on Flickr
------
“The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

wth:? :D

How do they see?
Indy
SG VIP

Post by Indy »

The Super Guppy by Sonic Aeronautic, on Flickr

It's a modified C-97 cargo plane. The 'nose' is essentially where the cockpit is located. You can see it a little better with this picture :) When my wife and I were watching it landing tonight, it had a funky approach...reminded me a bit of the B-52 bomber when it lands...they fly all the way to the runway nose down, as opposed to how most other aircraft land - nose flared up. It was very disorienting to see, still pretty interesting tho :)
------
“The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Wow...that's a lucky sighting. Not many of those...I don't recall ever seeing one of those flying, although I probably saw one at an airshow as a kid.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
RoundEye

Post by RoundEye »

I’m sure the size is needed for cargo but that is one ugly airplane.
Sliding down the banister of life ..........................
cybotron r_9

Post by cybotron r_9 »

Indy, nice pics, cool looking plane...."Super Guppy" :rotfl: good name for it too.
Indy
SG VIP

Post by Indy »

YeOldeStonecat wrote:Wow...that's a lucky sighting. Not many of those...I don't recall ever seeing one of those flying, although I probably saw one at an airshow as a kid.
This one is the only one left flying out of the five that were produced...the other four are mothballed, although one is in a restoration project right now. It's based on the Boeing 377/C-97 aircraft:

cybotron r_9 wrote:Indy, nice pics, cool looking plane...."Super Guppy" :rotfl: good name for it too.
Believe it or not, it's the successor to the "Pregnant Guppy." :D
------
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Thanks for the explanation, looked like they were flying by radar only or something.

Great shots Indy :thumb:
Indy
SG VIP

Post by Indy »

YeOldeStonecat wrote:Wow...that's a lucky sighting. Not many of those...I don't recall ever seeing one of those flying, although I probably saw one at an airshow as a kid.
We get the guppy in here on a fairly regular basis now...they are delivering V-22 fuselages to us from Philadelphia...I'll have to see if I can dig up the photos I've got from a few years ago when we were offloading a V-22 off the guppy...
------