New members' signatures restricted

Philip
SG VIP

New members' signatures restricted

Post by Philip »

Because of some recent spam schemes (registering and adding signatures to old posts a month later to avoid moderation), I've been forced to completely turn off signatures for new members. There are no signature restrictions for regular members that have been registered for over a month, with a certain number of posts and reputation level.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Monicojacobo

Post by Monicojacobo »

I don't understand what's wrong
nwrickert

Post by nwrickert »

Monicojacobo wrote:I don't understand what's wrong
I haven't bothered with a signature, because I rarely post here.

Here's how the scheme works:

Someone (probably a bot) joins up as a new member. And then posts a bland message that does not look like spam and does not raise any concerns. Then, a month later that person (or bot) comes back and sets or changes posting signature. And that new posting signature shows up on old posts. The new posting signature contains links and advertising, and is indeed forum spam (signature spam).

As I understand it, the site is now only allowing signatures to be set by people who have been here for a month or more and who have already demonstrated that they are contributing participants in the forum discussions.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

What nwrickert said :thumb: