TCPOptimizer Tweaks Wont apply due to PowerShell Issue (PLEASE HELP)

Get help and discuss anything related to tweaking your internet connection, as well as the different tools and registry patches on the site. TCP Optimizer settings and Analyzer results should be posted here.
jargonhelp

TCPOptimizer Tweaks Wont apply due to PowerShell Issue (PLEASE HELP)

Post by jargonhelp »

I've noticed that for some reason certain tcp settings fail to apply after using TCPOptimizer even though I always use it in Administrator mode. For example, I change MinRTO from 300 to 100 and apply, but after I restart its back on 300. The congestion provider feature has the same issue, always stuck on cubic even if I set it to ctcp, default, etc. To deal with this issue I tried looking at the "Path" section TCPOptimizer shows when listing all the changes about to be made. By using that I went into Windows PowerShell in Admin to try and use the given command to manually change my MinRTO, but I got the following error (the full command is also listed).

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Set-NetTCPSetting -SettingName internet -MinRto 100

Set-NetTCPSetting : Property MinRto is read-only
At line:1 char:1
+ Set-NetTCPSetting -SettingName internet -MinRto 100
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (MSFT_NetTCPSett...ystemName = ""):ROOT/StandardCimv2/MSFT_NetTCPSettin
g) [Set-NetTCPSetting], CimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Windows System Error 87,Set-NetTCPSetting

Note that the command I put in is an exact copy-paste of what I got in TCPOptimizer. I also googled the correct syntax on the microsoft site so I know the command is supposed to be accurate. I then proceeded to try the command with other TCP settings, but always got the same error. I believe this has something to do with why I am unable to change some tcp settings. Please Help!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

What version/build of Windows? If Windows 10, you can type "winver" in the search dialog.
jargonhelp

Post by jargonhelp »

Windows10, 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1165)
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

TCP Optimizer works well with all current Windows 10 builds, including yours. Note that some of the more advanced settings may not work under Windows 10 Home.
That said, when you start PowerShell, you'd have to right-click on it, and choose "Run as Administrator" for many of the commands to work without a permission error. You would have to do the same with the TCP Optimizer.

I just tested under Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 Build 19043.1165 and it works fine, including:
Set-NetTcpSetting -SettingName Internet -MinRto 300
Set-NetTcpSetting -SettingName Internet -InitialRto 3000
etc.

If I run it as regular user, I'd get a different error than yours though ("Permission Denied", rather than "Invalid Argument") :

Code: Select all

PS C:\Users\Philip> Set-NetTcpSetting -SettingName Internet -MinRto 300
Set-NetTcpSetting : Access is denied.
At line:1 char:1
+ Set-NetTcpSetting -SettingName Internet -MinRto 300
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : PermissionDenied: (MSFT_NetTCPSett...ystemName = ""):ROOT/StandardCimv2/MSFT_NetTCPSetti
   ng) [Set-NetTCPSetting], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Windows System Error 5,Set-NetTCPSetting
It could be that this particular setting is not available under your Windows build/version for some reason. Is it Windows 10 Home? I would try to update Windows to a newer build if those particular settings are important to you.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
jargonhelp

Post by jargonhelp »

Yeah I do happen to use Home, not Pro. I know its nothing to do with Admin since I have run TCPOptimizer/Powershell/CMD in Admin 100% of the time I use them. So sounds like switching to Pro is the answer, I'll update if I have further issues.