Not much improvement after using TCPOptimizer - am I missing something?

Get help and discuss anything related to tweaking your internet connection, as well as the different tools and registry patches on the site. TCP Optimizer settings and Analyzer results should be posted here.
anigersfy

Not much improvement after using TCPOptimizer - am I missing something?

Post by anigersfy »

Hi,

My internet speed seems to be capped and I cannot figure out why after running through many sources of help on the internet.
I used TCPOptimizer, it seems to improved a little. When I run the program again, the "Current" settings I have does not seem to reflect the "Optimize" option that was executed without error. Did I miss out on anything?

1. What is your advertised internet speed ? 1Gbps
2. What actual transfer speed do you get? 200-270 Mbps
3. Who is your Internet Provider (ISP), and what type of connection do you have ? I'm based in Singaore, ISP - Starhub, using Fibre Broadband
4. What are your current settings ? See below.
5. Your modem/router/ap brand ? D-Link DIR-868L
6. Your Operating System ? Windows 10, 64-bit

TCP Analyzer Result
« SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results »
Tested on: 2021.07.16 01:27
IP address: 116.89.xx.xxx
Client OS/browser: Windows 10 (Chrome 91.0.4472.124)

TCP options string: 020405b40103030801010402
MSS: 1460
MTU: 1500
TCP Window: 131328 (not multiple of MSS)
RWIN Scaling: 8 bits (2^8=256)
Unscaled RWIN : 513
Recommended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920, 1027840
BDP limit (200ms): 5253kbps (657KBytes/s)
BDP limit (500ms): 2101kbps (263KBytes/s)
MTU Discovery: ON
TTL: 48
Timestamps: OFF
SACKs: ON
IP ToS: 00000000 (0)
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Even though the "optimal" settings are applied, they will not all show as "current" settings. This is because depending on your OS, the Optimizer may not be able to read all the settings, some of them are adapter specific (optimal setting applied to one network adapter, but not another, so the program does not know which one the setting was applied to), and some default/optimal settings may be the same.

As to your internet connection speed, how are you measuring that, to a server near you, or a further location? Are you using wired or wireless client?
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
anigersfy

Post by anigersfy »

Philip wrote:Even though the "optimal" settings are applied, they will not all show as "current" settings. This is because depending on your OS, the Optimizer may not be able to read all the settings, some of them are adapter specific (optimal setting applied to one network adapter, but not another, so the program does not know which one the setting was applied to), and some default/optimal settings may be the same.

As to your internet connection speed, how are you measuring that, to a server near you, or a further location? Are you using wired or wireless client?
Hi Philip,

I'm using the speed test website from my ISP (https://resi.speedtest.starhub.com/SG/1G). The connection is wireless.
My other laptop can get a much higher broadband speed of around 490Mbps though so I think it is laptop specific.

Thanks!

Regina
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

The speed test is from your ISP, so it is near you and should not be the issue.
Laptop Wi-Fi adapters are not very good at higher speeds, as they only have one/two antennas and may not be capable of reaching higher throughput. One thing you can do is see how the CPU utilization is during testing (check the "Task Manager"). If your CPU is not utilized over 50%, you can try disabling most "Offload" settings in the Network Adapter properties, that would make it easier on the Wi-Fi adapter. We do have a couple of articles on optimizing WiFi LAN settings on the main site.

I hope this helps.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
anigersfy

Post by anigersfy »

Philip wrote:The speed test is from your ISP, so it is near you and should not be the issue.
Laptop Wi-Fi adapters are not very good at higher speeds, as they only have one/two antennas and may not be capable of reaching higher throughput. One thing you can do is see how the CPU utilization is during testing (check the "Task Manager"). If your CPU is not utilized over 50%, you can try disabling most "Offload" settings in the Network Adapter properties, that would make it easier on the Wi-Fi adapter. We do have a couple of articles on optimizing WiFi LAN settings on the main site.

I hope this helps.
Thank you Philip. Let me go through the articles on optimizing WiFi LAN. :thumb: