Inconsisted largest MTU value reports issue.

Get help and discuss anything related to tweaking your internet connection, as well as the different tools and registry patches on the site. TCP Optimizer settings and Analyzer results should be posted here.
Achab

Inconsisted largest MTU value reports issue.

Post by Achab »

Hello,
I keep getting inconsistent MTU value reports.

SG TCP/IP Analyzer on this pages gives me:

MTU = 1460
MTU is not fully optimized for broadband. Consider increasing your MTU to 1500 for better throughput. If you are using a router, it could be limiting your MTU regardless of Registry settings.

While both ping and TCP Optimizer's MTU/Latency tool report MTU 1500.

What could be the cause/should I be worried?

Thank's for your insights,
A.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Even though it may be set to 1500 on your computer, it is possible that some other software, or your NAT router/modem is changing it? The Analyzer shows the largest packet size that your IP advertises. I would check your router/modem and make sure that MTU/Packet size is set to 1500 and not 1460. It is not that big of a deal, in fact, many DSL connections use 1480 or 1492 MTU, but, 1500 will give you a bit less headers overhead, it is slightly better.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑