TCP Optimizer 4 (Windows 7 / 8 / 10 / 2012/2019 Server are all supported)

Get help and discuss anything related to tweaking your internet connection, as well as the different tools and registry patches on the site. TCP Optimizer settings and Analyzer results should be posted here.
spudler

Post by spudler »

I am missing a bunch of settings even though when I set to Optimal and saved them it said it saved, I even tried saving as custom but each time I open TCP Optimized in current those options are listed as blank.
[img][IMG]http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss6/spudler/TCP%20OPT_zpsh52wsvwf.jpg[/img][/IMG]

Also included is the log file

Windows 10 Home (64-bit) Build:10586 6.3 05.12.2015 02:17:18
!!!-------------------!!!
netsh int ip show interfaces

Idx Met MTU State Name
--- ---------- ---------- ------------ ---------------------------
17 20 1500 connected Wireless Network Connection
18 5 1500 disconnected Local Area Connection* 2
9 50 1400 disconnected Ethernet
10 5 1500 disconnected Local Area Connection* 3
1 50 4294967295 connected Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
7 5 1500 disconnected Local Area Connection

PowerShell.exe Get-NetAdapterRss -Name '*'

Name : Local Area Connection
InterfaceDescription : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Enabled : True
NumberOfReceiveQueues :
Profile :
BaseProcessor: [Group:Number] : :
MaxProcessor: [Group:Number] : :
MaxProcessors :
RssProcessorArray: [Group:Number/NUMA Distance] :
IndirectionTable: [Group:Number] :

PowerShell.exe Get-NetAdapterRsc -Name '*'

PowerShell.exe Get-NetAdapterLso -Name '*'

Name Version V1IPv4Enabled IPv4Enabled IPv6Enabled
---- ------- ------------- ----------- -----------
Local Area Connection LSO Version 2 False True True

PowerShell.exe Get-NetTCPSetting -SettingName InternetCustom

SettingName : InternetCustom
MinRto(ms) : 300
InitialCongestionWindow(MSS) : 4
CongestionProvider : CTCP
CwndRestart : False
DelayedAckTimeout(ms) : 50
DelayedAckFrequency : 2
MemoryPressureProtection : Disabled
AutoTuningLevelLocal : Normal
AutoTuningLevelGroupPolicy : NotConfigured
AutoTuningLevelEffective : Local
EcnCapability : Disabled
Timestamps : Disabled
InitialRto(ms) : 2000
ScalingHeuristics : Disabled
DynamicPortRangeStartPort : 49152
DynamicPortRangeNumberOfPorts : 16384
AutomaticUseCustom : Disabled
NonSackRttResiliency : Disabled
ForceWS : Disabled
MaxSynRetransmissions : 2
AutoReusePortRangeStartPort : 0
AutoReusePortRangeNumberOfPorts : 0

PowerShell.exe Get-NetOffloadGlobalSetting

ReceiveSideScaling : Enabled
ReceiveSegmentCoalescing : Disabled
Chimney : Disabled
TaskOffload : Enabled
NetworkDirect : Disabled
NetworkDirectAcrossIPSubnets : Blocked
PacketCoalescingFilter : Enabled
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

The options that are blank are those that are not read at program start (for most of them it is because they are Network-card specific, and you may have one NIC not supporting the setting, another supporting it with it enabled, another disabled)... The program still applies the settings.
Davy49

Post by Davy49 »

Hi Philip,
I used to live in Jacksonville, FL, moved to Texas ( close to Dallas ) about 2 year's ago. I'm typing this post on my laptop that's running MS Vista Home Premium Edition Version 6.0 (Build 6002:Service Pack 2 ). I downloaded the latest version of TCP Optimizer ( 4.0.3.0 ) this morning, I slid the connection speed slider to the connection speed I'm supposed to be getting from my communication's provider ( AT&T U-Verse ), I'm on the 'Power' speed ( 45 Mbps ) download. I clicked on the 'optimal' button @ the bottom of the page prompt..I was informed by a screen prompt that my computer must be restarted for the change's to take effect. After doing so..I started the program once again in 'administrator mode' , when the program opened, instead of the 'optimal' button being highlighted like I had selected, the 'normal' button was. I'm confused as to why this happened..could you please advise on this issue. By the way..I also installed this software on my wifes laptop that runs windows 7 home premium 64-bit, it seems like it now takes longer that it used to establish a wi-fi connection. Of course on my laptop using Windows Vista, it's ALWAYS taken longer to establish a wi-fi connection, I guess I've just determined that it's 'normal' on my laptop.
Thanks,
David :rolleyes:

Update: Added connection information...
« SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results »
Tested on: 2015.12.26 08:24
IP address: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Client OS/browser: Windows Vista (Chrome 47.0.2526.106)

TCP options string: 020405b40103030801010402
MSS: 1460
MTU: 1500
TCP Window: 17408 (NOT multiple of MSS)
RWIN Scaling: 8 bits (2^8=256)
Unscaled RWIN : 68
Recommended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920, 1027840
BDP limit (200ms): 696kbps (87KBytes/s)
BDP limit (500ms): 279kbps (35KBytes/s)
MTU Discovery: ON
TTL: 115
Timestamps: OFF
SACKs: ON
IP ToS: 00000000 (0)
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hello David,

It is normal behavior for the program to start with the "current" radio button selected, rather than the "optimal" one, the "optimal" settings were already applied. As to how fast the wi-fi connection is acquired, this may depend on a number of unrelated factors, including the specific network card, the wireless/noise environment in that particular location, number of clients, OS, etc.

Best,

Philip
Davy49

Post by Davy49 »

Hi Philip,
Happy New Year ! Thanks for a reply..as far as my wifes laptop that's running windows 7 home premium 64-bit, I'm wondering if the anti-virus software that I have installed on it ( Avira Free Edition ) might be contributing to the problem. As I remember, previously I had Panda Free anti-virus installed on it, and as I remember the wifi connection seemed to connect somewhat quicker. Also, as I'm on AT&T U-Verse service, some time ago I requested a newer gateway..I currently have a Pace 5268AC . I still feel as though there MUST be a setting that could be changed so as to speed up the wireless connection to the gateway. Of course the culprit might be microsoft and one of their updates that could have affected the connection speed.
Thanks,
David
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

David,

You can try turning off the anti-virus to check that theory. I find the Microsoft Essentials adequate in most cases. Other than that, you can try updating the Network Adapter driver, and there are many tweaks outlined in our Wireless Network tweaks article here: http://www.speedguide.net/articles/wire ... weaks-5681
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Updated the TCP Optimizer to version 4.0.4 - changed the recommended "TCP Chimney Offload" setting, it is now considered deprecated by Microsoft and may cause issues with some database servers and multi-threaded environments.
Ayax

Post by Ayax »

I have a strange probolem. Using Windows 10. Using TCP optimizer 4 as Admin. My problem is that I have to restart computer in afternoon because of drop from my 150Mbps to only 30/40...

These are settings when I run it...

Look like TCP can´t save my setting to registry:

First run:

Optimalization and to registry saving:

[url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B783z7R74l75YnYtTzgwQVZiTjQ]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B783z7R74l75YnYtTzgwQVZiTjQ

After restart, again picture 1, as first run..

I am doing stq wrong? Thank you.
johnathonm

Post by johnathonm »

Hi Philip,

I upgraded my wi-fi card from my onboard card to a PCI-E card. I had originally applied the optimizer settings to the onboard card, no problem. I now launch the program with the intention of applying the optimization of the new card but the program won't detect my new card. Do you have any ideas why it might not see the new card in the adapter list? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks,

JM
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

johnathonm, look up in the Windows Registry (search > type: regedit) under the following hive:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards

Is that PCI-E card listed there ?

How about if you type the following in command prompt: netsh int ip show interfaces

What is the name listed in the netsh output and the Registry hive ?
johnathonm

Card not detected under latest Windows build

Post by johnathonm »

Hi Philip,

Just an FYI,

Under the latest build of Windows the optimizer is not detecting the network card.

J
spiderone

Post by spiderone »

johnathonm wrote:Hi Philip,

Just an FYI,

Under the latest build of Windows the optimizer is not detecting the network card.

J

Its the same for me!

DATA
« SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results »
Tested on: 2016.04.23 04:56
IP address: 78.181.xxx.xxx
Client OS/browser: Windows 10 (Chrome 49.0.2623.110)

TCP options string: 020405ac0103030e01010402
MSS: 1452
MTU: 1492
TCP Window: 65536 (NOT multiple of MSS)
RWIN Scaling: 14 bits (2^14=16384)
Unscaled RWIN : 4
Recommended RWINs: 63888, 127776, 255552, 511104, 1022208
BDP limit (200ms): 2621kbps (328KBytes/s)
BDP limit (500ms): 1049kbps (131KBytes/s)
MTU Discovery: ON
TTL: 40
Timestamps: OFF
SACKs: ON
IP ToS: 00000010 (2)
Precedence: 000 (routine)
Delay: 0 (normal delay)
Throughput: 0 (normal throughput)
Reliability: 0 (normal reliability)
Cost: 1 (low cost)
Check bit: 0 (correct)
DSCP (DiffServ): CS0 000000 (0) - class 0, default traffic (RFC 2474).

:)
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

johnathonm and spiderone, can either of you do the following please ?

1. Start regedit (START > type: regedit), and look up in the Windows Registry under the following hive:

Is that PCI-E card listed there ?

How about if you type the following in command prompt: netsh int ip show interfaces

What is the name listed in the netsh output and the Registry hive ?
spiderone

Post by spiderone »

Phillip;

1. Start regedit (START > type: regedit), and look up in the Windows Registry under the following hive:

The card is not listed!

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh int ip show interfaces

Idx Met MTU State Name
--- ---------- ---------- ------------ ---------------------------
5 25 1500 connected Ethernet
9 25 1500 disconnected WiFi
22 25 1500 disconnected Local Area Connection* 2
24 55 1500 connected Ethernet 2
1 75 4294967295 connected Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1

ok.. How to add the Network Card in the registry?
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

spiderone, in the Registry at that location there should be list of subkeys with numbers under that one... the "Description" value in each should be different, giving you a clue for each one. I don't know your exact setup, and which of the two active Ethernet adapters you are using, without looking at your registry it is hard to debug.
a15995

Post by a15995 »

In my version (4.0.5.0) the optimal settings suggest that TCP Window Auto-Tuning should be set to "experimental".

I strongly advise you not to do this! When I set that to "experimental" local shares are broken (cannot access \\localhost\C$ etc.) and I cannot access Previous Versions of files (due to RPV/VSS' dependence on local shares).

So, if you experience the widespread problem of not being able to access "Restore Previous Versions" (no previous versions available-error) - check your TCP Window Auto-Tuning setting.

If anyone will check this issue (simply by trying to access \\localhost\C$) please comment with your results.

Thanks,
Søren

/Søren
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

This is dependent on the "speed" slider setting, if you bump it up all the way to the end it may suggest "experimental" auto-tuning. You are correct this should be used with caution, I wasn't aware of the shares issue - thanks for the info.
a15995

Post by a15995 »

Philip wrote:This is dependent on the "speed" slider setting, if you bump it up all the way to the end it may suggest "experimental" auto-tuning. You are correct this should be used with caution, I wasn't aware of the shares issue - thanks for the info.
Thanks Philip! I wasn't aware of the speed slider changing the auto-tuning. Wasn't the maximum of the speed slider previously at 10 Mbps? I think that's why it was cranked all the way up...
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

It was at 10mbps at some point in time, not with version 4 though.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

The TCP Optimizer has been updated to version 4.0.6 to address the issue with fast internet connections over 100Mbps and "experimental" TCP Auto tuning causing issues with LAN shares.
We've updated the optimal recommended TCP Auto tuning level to: "disabled" for connections under 512 Kbps, "restricted" up to 1 Mbps, and "normal" over 1 Mbps.
Cabeceira

Post by Cabeceira »

not tried this yet. should I??
sevan68

Post by sevan68 »

WOW .... Ran TCP Optimizer on my laptop and my download speeds have shot up from 30mbps to 52mbps ... thanks for this great tool.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

sevan68 wrote:WOW .... Ran TCP Optimizer on my laptop and my download speeds have shot up from 30mbps to 52mbps ... thanks for this great tool.
Glad it worked that well for you! :)
What Windows version ?
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Ashdaw

Post by Ashdaw »

Hi all, Is this still the latest version? I have ver 4.06??

Good to see there are still people here. :)

We are now on what is called NBN (national Broadband) and the speeds are fair, 100mbps down and 40mbps up, better than before ;)
Main Computer:
GA97X G3
i7 4790K
GTX960
32gb Ram
1TB Samsung 860 SSD
NZXT Case
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hi Ashdaw :)

Yes, 4.06 is the latest version.. 100Mbps down/40up sounds nice ;)
ukue

Post by ukue »

Philip wrote:SG TCP Optimizer 4.0 released

Update to version 4.0.7 (2018-04-20): A number of changes/improvements to work better with Windows 10 Creators Update, listed in the revision history here:
https://www.speedguide.net/articles/tcp ... story-5811

- Optimizer is now aware of, reads and displays the current TCP/IP settings "template".
- Updated Congestion Control Provider command, added "CUBIC" and "NewReno" algorithms introduced with Windows 10 Creators Update.
- Changed RSS (Receive-Side Scaling) and RSC (Receive Segment Coalescing) settings to be applied globally.
- Fixed Chimney Offload command (made change global) and program now reads setting on startup.
- Changed default to modify all network adapters.
- Removed obsolete DCA (Direct Cache Access) setting.
- Program now reads most settings on startup.

The updated online documentation and revision history are available here:
TCP Optimizer Documentation and revisions

Thanks for still developing this great tool
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Thanks for the positive feedback, we try to keep it current as the OS evolves :)
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Sylencer

Post by Sylencer »

Is ctcp still the best option to chose or are the "newly" added ones better? I've read through the documentation but i don't think it was listen (sorry if it missed it).
The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

CUBIC is now the default in Windows 10 (since the April 2018 v1803 update).
I would like to think Microsoft have made this change for a good reason.
I have switched between CTCP and CUBIC to test but cannot see any noticeable difference.
Very interested to hear from Philip, and any other experts in this area, as to whether Microsoft's change to CUBIC makes sense.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

The change to CUBIC makes sense in general. Newer Linux kernels use CUBIC as the default. I am just worried a bit about the MS implementation, and users have different builds with various support, that is why we haven't moved on to recommend it yet in the program's "optimal" settings yet.

By all means try it. In theory it should be better than New Reno for sure, and maybe slightly better than CTCP. The only disadvantage (if it can be called that) is it creates somewhat larger TCP buffers with high-speed/latency transfers. It should provide a bit better throughput and a more stable connection if the line is completely saturated. I don't see any advantage over CTCP for games/lateny (it provides a bit more equal/"fair" buffer across different rtt connections in theory), but it should work better for pure throughput.

I have added more info on it to the TCP Optimizer documentation.
ukue

Post by ukue »

The latest version can't show the settings for RSS and RSC in my pc (win 10 home 1803)
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

ukue wrote:The latest version can't show the settings for RSS and RSC in my pc (win 10 home 1803)
Is it possible that your Network Adapter (or CPU/Motherboard) doesn't support them? I have just tested it on two v.1803 machines and it shows both RSS and RSC.
ukue

Post by ukue »

Philip wrote:Is it possible that your Network Adapter (or CPU/Motherboard) doesn't support them? I have just tested it on two v.1803 machines and it shows both RSS and RSC.

I'm sure it is. I can enable or disable it but TCP Optimizer just don't show the current value :rolleyes:
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I'd like a bit more info if you don't mind:
Was it any different with the previous version of the Optimizer?
Are you starting the TCP Optimizer as an Administrator?
What is your Network Adapter brand/model?
Does it show selected when the TCP Optimizer starts?

Thanks
๑۩۞۩๑
ukue

Post by ukue »

Philip wrote:I'd like a bit more info if you don't mind:
Was it any different with the previous version of the Optimizer?
Are you starting the TCP Optimizer as an Administrator?
What is your Network Adapter brand/model?
Does it show selected when the TCP Optimizer starts?

Thanks
I always run TCP Optimizer as an administrator. In the past I was using Win7 pro in the same computer and TCP Optimizer showed all options fine but since I changed to win10 the RSS and RSC value is missing even with an older tcp optimizer version. Now i'm in a fresh win 10 1803 home installation in the same hardware setup as always. The network adapter is a Realtek RTL8111DL
Ashdaw

Post by Ashdaw »

I have the 4.07 version and as always, it does what it is supposed to. Good value. :)
Main Computer:
GA97X G3
i7 4790K
GTX960
32gb Ram
1TB Samsung 860 SSD
NZXT Case
Djfe

Post by Djfe »

Great tool, super helpful.

Some feedback:
I'm using Win 10 64bit Education Edition, Build: 17134 6.3
My NIC is an Intel I 219-V (Asus Ranger VIII mobo)
I use intel's driver not microsoft's

I can't set the PPPOE checkbox in optimal mode.
Also: it would be nice if the mtu/latency tab could also check for pppoe fragmentation :) (that probably needs a running server though, unlike ping)

Some values aren't applied correctly, so I visited my driver's settings to change them manually (except enc):
Receive-Side Scaling
R.Segment Coalescing (couldn't find that in the driver's settings either)
Large Send Offload

ECN capability wasn't turned on correctly by the tool, I had to do it manually over the command-line (using netsh)
I used enabled instead of default now, since I'm unsure how to set it to default

Some values the software can't read out:
Receive-Side-Scaling
R.Segment Coalescing

Regards
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hello Djfe, thank you for the feedback.

I just tested with the latest version of the optimizer (4.0.7), and Windows 10 Pro build 17134.6.3 and Intel I219-V (Asus Z170 Sabertooth MoBo).
The software seems to be able to read/change the RSC and RSS values correctly (just restarted the TCP Optimizer program).

Are you using the latest version of the program? There are sometimes variations between the different Windows editions, but we seem to be using very similar versions, other than the Pro vs. Educational, and the NIC driver.
Djfe

Post by Djfe »

I'm using 4.0.7

This is how it looks like, when I start the tool with admin rights:

I'm using Intel's driver version 12.17.8.7 from 09/29/2017

If I click optimal and save and restart, then those two fields still stay empty
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Interesting.. Works with Intel driver v. 12.13.17.7 (8/13/2015), same Windows build

Is it possible that you have more than one Network adapter, and the TCP Optimizer is reading/showing the first one, which is not capable of setting those parameters? If you start the Windows PowerShell, and execute the following commands do you see more than one Network adapter? -->

Get-NetAdapter

netsh int ipv4 show subinterface

Get-NetAdapterRss -Name *

Get-NetAdapterLso -Name *
๑۩۞۩๑