It's Time to post about our user names...

General Topics Archive of defining/memorable/informative/classic/interesting threads from our forums, including everything not covered by our broadband archive.
poptom

Post by poptom »

When I first started buying on ebay in 1998, I had to come up with a name. My grandkids called me Papa Tom (to distinguish from Papa Bill, the other grandfather). I tried poppatom, and papatom but both were taken. Poptom worked. I checked back later and found I could have used just "tom". I like to keep things simple.

Tom Sauters
"Mr President, you have big balls" - Dominica prime minister Eugenia Charles to Ronald Reagan after the invasion of Grenada, 1983

"We win and they lose. What do you think of that?" - Ronald Reagan, 1977
mnosteele52

Post by mnosteele52 »

I'm a Fireman and my first day on the job I had a working fire so my Shift Commander Chief (who was big into fire toys) gave me a action figure called "Men of Steel" so my Lieutenant started calling me "Man o Steel" - and since my last name is Steele....... you can figure the rest. :D :D
Help & Tips broadbandnuts.com - CableNut Tcp/Ip Analyzer TCPOptimizer drtweak.com - Dr Tweak
TheAntipop

Post by TheAntipop »

TheAntipop because i dont like most things that are popular because it gets waterd down by the media and the executives and corporations and loses what it started out with in the first place that made it great.

its also a song by primus that i liked the words to.
I am the Antipop the man you cannot stop
Indy
SG VIP

Post by Indy »

Indy, which is short for IndyOST (my old nickname), which stood for Indianapolis Online Service Technician, which is my job :D
------
“The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein
Croc

Post by Croc »

Fairly self explanatory.

Croc because we share our space with crocodiles in North Eastern Australia.
Don't confuse me with The Crocodile Man of TV (?)fame(?) you Americans seem so obsessed with. He's a bit of a dill if you want an Aussie opinion and he will be eaten one day.

The Avatar.... Pinched it. LOL

Croc.
Croc.
It will be long, it will be hard and there will be no withdrawal.
Winston Churchill
Remember: Wherever you go in life, you take yourself with you.
RoundEye

Post by RoundEye »

Seems to be a couple of bike nuts here :D

When I wrenched on bikes at a Honda dealership, I got almost all of the deep engine repairs and all of the electrical repairs too.

When I was given the job ticket, the service manager said "ah, lets see you f**king fix this one RoundEye" in a Japanese accent.

It stuck.

Brembo, I have Brembo brakes on my Ducati. A good pull on the lever and I can stand the bike on the front tire. :eek:
Sliding down the banister of life ..........................
Mike_W

Post by Mike_W »

Originally posted by RoundEye
Seems to be a couple of bike nuts here :D

When I wrenched on bikes at a Honda dealership, I got almost all of the deep engine repairs and all of the electrical repairs too.

When I was given the job ticket, the service manager said "ah, lets see you f**king fix this one RoundEye" in a Japanese accent.

It stuck.

Brembo, I have Brembo brakes on my Ducati. A good pull on the lever and I can stand the bike on the front tire. :eek:
**I worked as service manager at the local Ducati shop a couple years ago. Man...miss my bike :(
Wasnt a Duck though..had a Kawasaki ZX9-R. Would LOVE to own a Ducati one day.
Mike W.
---------------- :)
AMD Athalon 1.0gig, 640meg SDRAM, K7SeM Board, RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet NIC, Maxtor ATA100 PCI Card, Maxtor 7200rpm 20gig HDD, Samsung 20gig HDD, LG Cd-RW, Iomega 100mgb Iomega Zip, 50X CD ROM, ATI Rage Fury Pro 128, ViewSonic A-72f, Windows Xp Pro and Windows 98se, Comcast Cable Connection, SG Optimizer
RoundEye

Post by RoundEye »

I have a 2000 Monster 750, had a 1990 ZX-11 Before that.
Sliding down the banister of life ..........................
Faust

Post by Faust »

Faust. comes from the character who (in a nutshell) sells his soul to Mephisto (Mephistopheles........ Satan, in other words), giving up his mastery of science and magic for a life of pleasures and debauchery.

awsome story. a real thinker's tale. delves into the questions of philosopy and life and such...... a must-read.

my name is Scott R. Maier, BTW.
Noevo

Post by Noevo »

Damn, I feel left out. Never worked in a bike shop, nor could I dream of working on one for money. But I like to keep the guys in the shops busy :D

current ride is a 94 HD Heritage Softail Classic. First bike I ever rode was a '78 FLH. Fell in love with shovelheads at that point. Can still spot one by sound alone. OR if it's hot out and theres a bike sitting on the side of the road, it's a shovelhead.
ghost
SG VIP

Post by ghost »

I'm discovering much in this thread, this is the most interesting one I've read in a long time. This thread feels different, and in a good way.

A ghost is the spirit of a dead person, and I died a long time ago. Things I've done, things I've witnessed and things done to me have left me soulless.

The descriptor under my avatar is how I feel about myself - forsaken by God, forsaken by me.

I take solace in two things: laughter and my son, now 5. The latter keeps me alive, gives my life meaning and purpose, and if he should somehow die before me....well, let's just say it won't be by much. Because without him I'm nothing - a ghost.
MadDoctor

Post by MadDoctor »

Come here ghost. Let the MD give you a big kiss!

:D
People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.
kitten

Post by kitten »

Kitten is a nick name EA gave me...I like to cuddle and im cute as a kitten :D
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a Judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."
brembo

Post by brembo »

Originally posted by kitten
Kitten is a nick name EA gave me...I like to cuddle and im cute as a kitten :D

*must resist urge to be a smartass*

*staples fingers to desk*
Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.
mikemean

Post by mikemean »

Originally posted by brembo

:D :D I know what you are thinking you naughty little boy :D :D
nightowl
SG Elite

Post by nightowl »

Originally posted by brembo

LMAO
Zilog B wrote:Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

Originally posted by Stu_Grimson
Recently accquired Stu Grimson, he joined the Nashville Predators last year. He has the image of a true badass. Not to mention I'm a badass too.
:) :D

I just like him because I saw him knock a guy out with one punch in a game when he was with the Kings.
now if only he knew how to play hockey lol

the meaning to my name is best found at the bottom of an empty can of spam
drdoug99
SG Elite

Post by drdoug99 »

Originally posted by Faust
Faust. comes from the character who (in a nutshell) sells his soul to Mephisto (Mephistopheles........ Satan, in other words), giving up his mastery of science and magic for a life of pleasures and debauchery.

awsome story. a real thinker's tale. delves into the questions of philosopy and life and such...... a must-read.

my name is Scott R. Maier, BTW.
what is the books name? sounds cool.
brembo

Post by brembo »

Originally posted by drdoug99

what is the books name? sounds cool.

"Where's Waldo"......lol.
Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.
Faust

Post by Faust »

//shaking fist at brembo///

"quiet, you!" :p

the story is German in origin and has been rewritten and translated many times sine the late 16th century.

i actually don't remember which one i read (it was in school), but if you go to something like http://www.barnesandnoble.com and do a search for "Faust" or "Faustus" or "Doktor Faustus" you will see tons of titles.
CiscoKid

Post by CiscoKid »

I'm working on my CCNA, getting ready to take the test soon...it's about 125-150 last time I checked, but alas...I have NOT that kinda money, so I gotta wait and take my test later...

Those who know me on AIM, know me as BearClaw2000. It was my online name before CiscoCert took over. I got it from family...it's said that the Cisco Kid is a giant snoogly Teddy Bear...also, I kinda lok like a bear when I fight and have sounded like one when yawning...
Three Rivers Designs wrote:America! Love it or give it back!
monkeyhead

Post by monkeyhead »

hmmmmm..... i got a first name from my parents which was michael..... got a middle name too.... anthony....... my mom always yelled at me

MICHAEL ANTHONY!!!!! get down here right now!!!!!

so thats where mine comes from
ghost
SG VIP

Post by ghost »

Originally posted by michaelanthony
hmmmmm..... i got a first name from my parents which was michael..... got a middle name too.... anthony....... my mom always yelled at me

MICHAEL ANTHONY!!!!! get down here right now!!!!!

so thats where mine comes from
My son's name first name is Anthony, his middle name is Michael.
grundy

Post by grundy »

first name is Solomon, when I was a kid my sister and cousin would call me "Solomon Grundy" and sing the rhyme until I went into a rage (I had a short fuse back then...)
Originally posted by downhill
This is always fun, Ken......

Mine is inspired by gravity and wheels.

I am surrounded by mountians....and ski lifts......which charge a small fee to haul you and your bike to the top of the mountian, all day long. :D

just curious downhill - what do you ride?

Originally posted by Croc

Croc because we share our space with crocodiles in North Eastern Australia.
Don't confuse me with The Crocodile Man of TV (?)fame(?) you Americans seem so obsessed with. He's a bit of a dill if you want an Aussie opinion and he will be eaten one day.
Croc.
soon, I hope.
Jesse23

Post by Jesse23 »

Jesse----> My 1st name
23------->Greatest Basketball Player of all times Number
The user formally known as jesse23
Forgetful

Post by Forgetful »

Just what my wife and kids say i am.
SRF01

Post by SRF01 »

SRF - My initials

SRF 01 - My license plate on my Camaro

Shawn Ferguson
BaLa
SG VIP

Post by BaLa »

the reason I started of with Balakov is b/c he's prolly my favorite soccer player.
who also plays for my fav. soccer team (german BTW)...

VFB Stuttgart
Krassimir Balakov

back in the AOL days I signed uo with the name balakov100 originally;

which is the same nickname I had here initally...

after a long time I came back (forgot my old P/W) I made the name balakov10

Which I changed not too long ago to BaLa b/c it's shorter, and simpler...
Zmoney

Post by Zmoney »

Z$..well i have a uncle who used to DJ and sounded very black on the radio...infact his first gig some people heard him on a local station and thet liked the way he sounded..so they had him come in and when that say that he waz white they waz like " what the hell is this honkey doin here" anyway he spent alot of the mid 90's hangin out with black artists and people so he naturally talks "gangsta" when hes tryin to be funny...anyway he calls me out like "Yo Zmoney" since my name is zac
stuck i guess...
Check out the Picks from TPL Here
For Free Image Hosting check out Blynk.net
Just click on add photos and your done
Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina »

I have used a few monnikers on different sites. I have settled on Deus ex Machina for SG. I write short stories, poetry and adventures for FRPGs (Read: GEEK) ..... see below.

deus ex ma·chi·na Pronunciation Key (ks mäk-n, -nä, mk-n)
n.
In Greek and Roman drama, a god lowered by stage machinery to resolve a plot or extricate the protagonist from a difficult situation.
An unexpected, artificial, or improbable character, device, or event introduced suddenly in a work of fiction or drama to resolve a situation or untangle a plot.
A person or event that provides a sudden and unexpected solution to a difficulty.

I am the arrogant bastard who uses Noetic or Joy_Division on a few other sites.

shant,
david

Ken... what of your orginal name?

MadDoctor... can you name the flavor of the pudding without tasting it first?
blessed be................
knightmare

names

Post by knightmare »

name Knightmare is a my name with kryptocrew*, and um a knight is a man of honor, and the real knightmare -- if you know who that is, lol, ( hint- internet person ) was a legend, plus all the cool names like Cisco were taken so here i am...
Jim
SG VIP

Post by Jim »

Too hard to explain if you havn't seen "Big Jim Slade" in "The Kentucky Fried Movie." Watch it, and you'll get the idea. ;)

I was given that name many years ago, and its stuck as a nickname ever since, even to the point where most people call me Jim (its not my real name ;) ). The only problem was that the old VHS copy was so poor, it sounded like Big Jim Slate, and not Slade (and the credits were too blury to read). The name stuck, and I've had it for at least 8 years or so. Not exactly sure why its all in caps, probably because I just wanted it BIG. :p
HalfLifer

Post by HalfLifer »

At the time I registered at SG, I was big in HalfLife. Came up with HalfLifer :D
Work: DQ
Comp: AXP 1600+, MSI K7T266a Pro2 RU, 512MB PC2100, GF3 Ti200 128MB
CiscoKid

Re: names

Post by CiscoKid »

Originally posted by knightmare
plus all the cool names like Cisco were taken so here i am...
You wanted CiscoCert? sorry man :D ...beat ya too it!
Three Rivers Designs wrote:America! Love it or give it back!
AMPLIFRIER

Post by AMPLIFRIER »

about 4 years ago or so i used to hit IRC all the time...and was in to audio BIG TIME...i still am......so i started as AMPLIFIED........then i got into q3 and it became AMPLIFRIER

thats it

AMP
Gigabyte ga-7n400 pro nForce2 mobo, Athlon XP3200, thermalright slk900, 1 gig corsair pc3200 cas2, radeon 9800pro, SB Audigy 2 ZS
case= yeong yang YY-B0221 server cube,550 watt Antec true power,1 wd raptor 74 gig,1 34gig raptor (page) 2 wd 120gig se's raid 1, 1 120gig se. WIN xp Pro, Dual display samsung syncmaster 1100df 21in(Primary) Samsung syncmaster 955df 19in (secondary)".
MadDoctor

Post by MadDoctor »

Originally posted by Deus ex Machina
75% of the time... yes. And you?
People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ken... what of your orginal name?
Yes, I still use it occasionally at some sites...
"JANDOENT"

Which was a corporation I owned,
J & O Enterprises, INC

I was in a hurry, experiencing a creativity black hole, and thought, J&OEnt, but the "&" wouldn't take, and the small "nt" was a give a way of a corporate name, so I entered all caps and replaced "&" with letters...
(Being a business man, I always have to use caution and be sure that any & all expenses are tied to the necessary cause of conducting business, hence tax deductions... ;) )
downhill

Post by downhill »

Originally posted by EvilAngel
Evil - resembles all women

Angel - represents me..

they just go together....lol

LOL..............let's get Kitten's opinion on this one!!!
Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina »

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MadDoctor said:
75% of the time... yes. And you?

Deus ex Machina says:
I do not eat pudding. It is too fattening....
blessed be................
chevyman282

Post by chevyman282 »

I build chevy's the 282 was meant to be a 283, A great engine, but I hit the wrong key!! After I realized my mistake it was too late, everyone had my nick! lol

After 34 years in the auto industry, it may be time to hang it up and I will need a new username.....Like, ??????
any suggestions?? Be nice now... :D

Regards
chevyman282
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty."
– Theodore Roosevelt