Just when the snow settles, God shakes our Globe again......or

General Topics Archive of defining/memorable/informative/classic/interesting threads from our forums, including everything not covered by our broadband archive.
RoundEye

Just when the snow settles, God shakes our Globe again......or

Post by RoundEye »

........What happens when you freeze-dry a scrambled mind?

At this point, it’s hard to even think of where to begin. The following is the eclectic, often graphic, thoughts of just one person affected by Hurricane Katrina. Just imagine Ozzy Osbourne on crack. It’s hard at this point to finish one thought before another one come smashing into my feeble mind.

Earlier this week, I was asked by a friend who lives out of state “What is a Parish?”. I was born in New Orleans, which I’ll get into later, but I’ve never really given it a lot of thought. I’ll tell you what a Parish is to me though. Probably almost three hundred years ago now, French settlers where basically run out of area of Acadia, Canada. I’m guessing they traveled South until they hit the Gulf of Mexico, following along the ever twisting Mississippi River. They stopped here and took root. A group that now are called Cajun-French, many of which still only speak a unique language called Cajun-French. A group of people that made the city of New Orleans. They are deeply religious and hard workers. They do know how to party too, this year marks a 150 years of Mardi Gras, as many of you know a free party like no other. Now getting back to the Cajuns, Religion, Parishes and how it all ties in.

We have the oldest Cathedral in the United States, the St.Louis Cathedral. Right in the heart of the French Quarter stands a huge church that is photographed by every tourist that comes through this city. I’m not religious in any way, but it’s my understanding that each church serves a Parish and has a Parish Priest. I guess you would have to know a Cajun, but their minds aren’t easily changed and they don’t just pack up and leave easily either. So while the rest of the U.S.A. is on the county system, we have Parishes. With the exception of New Orleans, we don’t have Mayors. We have Parish Presidents. They are elected into office and fall right below our Governor in the food chain of politics. The church and some people have a huge influence over what, how and when people do things.

When I say “some people” I mean people like “Mama D” that I seen on the news, on one of our two working channels. It’s really a trip when you see it on TV, I can’t imagine what is going through the guy’s head, but he must be really freaked out over Mama D. Why do I think this? Because he won’t make her leave her front porch, like they could make so many others leave. The man I’m talking about is a war torn, well-built man, of the Red Berets, the 82nd Airborne. When we did get help, we got some bad ass guys in here.

Let’s talk Mama D and the man some. Mama D, she’s from another world. She looks like a voodoo priestess sitting on her porch, in defiance of one of the mightiest Armies of the world. Surprisingly well spoken, and stuck in her ways for certain. So what is the man trying to do? He’s actually negotiating a deal with Mama D. You see, she has influence, and loads of it. She knows where the people are hiding, how to make them come out, and how to make them leave. I’m talking about 1000’s of people too. At the end of it all, the man drives away in his amphibious vehicle bewildered. Mama D still won’t leave, but they struck a deal, she’s going to convince the elderly and handicap to leave. The man and his fellow soldiers are interviewed by the newscaster, they all mention that they have fought or have seen battle in Afghanistan and or Iraq. They are all stunned by the devastation caused by Katrina. They have been all over the world, seen some gruesome ****, and yet they are all still surprised by the death and destruction in New Orleans and the metro area.

There is a lot of death here, you can tell by the flies. There must be tons of rotting meat from people’s freezers, then there are bodies just floating around. Yes, our official death toll is low, but they have yet to begin collecting the bodies. Almost two weeks later, they are still in the “rescue mode”. Dead bodies are just pushed aside, to rescue or try to rescue the living. Out of all the petty things, these damn flies are driving me crazy.

I must admit, I slept through most of the storm. Every now and then, as a tree blew over and shook the house, I would wake up. I could still hear the wind, rain and my house moving. My house was speaking to me, almost in a Lord of the Rings way, it reminded me of the Fangor Forrest, I believe it was. It would shift one way with the wind, and let out a long groan, then with the change of the wind direction, it would groan outloud and settle down a bit. Every now and then, you would hear loud pops, which I think were Pecans hitting the side of the house about 130MPH. I think that’s why I slept. It was like a B horror movie. No electricity, all the windows boarded up, the rain going sideways, and no escape now, not even if I wanted to go.

After the Katrina bomb, people start emerging from their homes and what ever shelter they could find. In all ironies, it’s a perfect day. Blue sky, not a cloud to be seen, and really not too hot……yet. They only problem is, every thing is wasted and I mean ****ing EVERYTHING. At this point, we don’t know how widespread it is. We have no TV, Radio, electricity, landlines and we are losing cell phones fast. Remember the Flintstones? Well, they were more modern then us at this point.

First you check out your own house, and other then the front door being a real bitch to close now, we did alright. I live just a few hundred feet from my parents, if you could get up the driveway. Now we have so many trees in our yard, we can’t leave unless we drive between the barn and shed, go through the neighbors yard, up his driveway to the highway, and back down to my parents. My parents lost the front porch and most of the shingles on the roof. All I really know now is what I can see, my family is OK but we aren’t sure yet how my wife’s family did. We finally get in touch with them, they lost a lot of stuff, with about two feet of water in their house during the storm. My Dad’s business is gone, the shell of a building is there from what I hear. At this point in is life, he’ll probably never open it up again.

Now that I think about it some, you know you live in a weird city when you need life vests and a chainsaw to save your life. Stop what you are doing for a second and look up. Just think, a lot of people drowned in their attics. With the water rising slowly and no place to go. Sounds like another B grade horror movie to me. Here’s where the problem comes in, It Isn’t. It happened. It’s still happening, and I’m trying to figure out how to live in it with my young son and wife. Again in my life. if it wasn’t for my Dad, I would be homeless. My wife and I have no idea when we can work again. Jefferson Parish is basically closed for the next three weeks. Dusk to dawn curfew, and if you get pulled over, they come at you with the guns drawn. I know this for a fact, because it happened to me on the way from the hospital.

“The Hospital” crap….I don’t even know where to start about these clowns. I’ve been three times in two weeks, ending in emergency surgery. I guess I shouldn’t say “ending’ because it’s really not over yet, I’m just home. The first time was for my leg and back hurting. I know that’s a really candy ass reason to go to the emergency room in a crisis situation, but read on. Turns out my leg was infected pretty bad, and I thought my back was from cutting up a tree (which if we hadn’t done, no electrical juice for the homestead here). A huge dose of antibiotics through IV, some to take home and some pain meds and I was on my way. OK fine. NOT. I was back in a couple of days pissing an moaning about my back, it was hurting in a big way. I know what pain is too. For those of you who don’t know, I’ve have five major bone surgeries, 18 pieces of metal put into me and ten taken out, I’ve also had a bone graft to fuse two vertebrae in my neck. Well I finally got their attention, so they did a cat scan and found a 5mm Kidney stone. So more pain meds and a “this too shall pass my son” speech and I was on my way. Also they basically told me not to come back. I don’t have insurance and the good ol’ boys at FEMA hadn’t authorized them to work on me anymore. Our free hospital is in New Orleans, which is flooded and will never open again. Fine…. I didn’t like your hospital anyway! Well I don’t care how bad passing a Kidney stone should feel, it doesn’t have to feel like you are dieing. I could hardly breathe and I felt like somebody was stabbing me in the back. So I convinced the wife to bring me to another hospital that just opened back up. They did another cat scan found another record breaking stone holding up the works. This one was 4mm by 10mm, yes I said 10mm. This hospital wasn’t letting me leave.

I stayed the night and in the morning they went in like Roto-Roter and yanked the thing out. Folks it only gets worse from here. The doc went in through the hole at the head of my prick. Your nuts hurt yet? No? Well keep reading. Turns out that stone was holding back the stone the other hospital seen. So they put in some plastic tube called a stint, and I still have to pass (read-piss out) the other stone. So as I type this, I’m drinking plenty of water and pissing out what looks like V8 tomato juice. I was told the blood is normal, but it still hurts like a mofo when I piss. Just one more stone to pass I keep saying to myself.

Helicopters sure are loud when carrying a 9000lb load. I know this because they start flying at sunup to sundown, over my house. Twin rotor Shwroskeys I think. (I can’t research anything because I still don’t have cable TV, internet or phone access.) From what I can see, they are busy fixing the holes in our levee system that caused so much death and destruction. They are dropping 3000lb bags of sand in the holes.
You can tell by the sound of the motors that they are loaded down, and the blades make a tremendous popping sound as they meet each other at the middle of the helicopter. I sure hope one of those bags doesn’t fall off. It would be a real bitch to survive the storm, only to be pile driven into the ground by a sand bag. Two helicopters have crashed already, luckily everybody survived, can’t say the same for the lineman from Oklahoma. That poor bastard was electrocuted to death. He was only trying to help us and got roasted.

I’m someplace where I shouldn’t be. It’s an odd feeling because I’m lying in my own bed typing this. I live in the city of Waggaman, in Jefferson Parish. There’s that “Parish” word again. Jefferson is the first Parish outside of New Orleans to the West. It’s also on the West bank of the Mississippi river. It’s quite a bit more rural then the East bank. I’ve only been here about two years. I grew up about five minutes from New Orleans on the East bank of the river. We didn’t even have a bridge over the river until the 1930’s. The good old Huey P. Long bridge. Built for trains, adding cars was an afterthought. Narrow as hell, and sways around as trains pass over it. There’s a lot of people here that refuse to cross it. Oh, and did I mention that when they built it they screwed up? Yep, it’s crooked and by the time they noticed it, it was too late. So they said “screw it” I guess and just finished the bridge.
Oh, and the reason I shouldn’t be here, Jefferson parish is closed for thee weeks. I’m a lot better off then my friend Billy. He and his girl friend lived in St.Charles Parish in the city of Chalmette. They managed to stick out the hurricane on the roof, and through a wild string of boats, helicopters, buses, and cars they are now safe in San Antonio, Texas.

St Charles Parish has been declared a total loss. Damn what destruction. It couldn’t have been any worse if you dropped an atomic bomb on it. Over 60,000 people are now homeless. Some people can’t go back for at least six months. An oil tank burst and soaked everything with this heavy crude. Y’all that stuff isn’t even really oil yet, just a thick black tar. I have other friends there that’ll probably never see or hear from again.

In a few days, I’m going to be 40. I feel like a 100, yet I think I’m retarded, I’m stuck in a loop at the age of 15. This is mentioned because I born after the last great one. That is Hurricane Betsy in September 1965. Glad I’m not a girl, because my mom was going to name me Betsy. Sorry to all you Betsy’s out there, but that a cows name for Christ’s sake. Was crack around in 1965? I guess the high winds affected my mom’s head. Everybody born after me has heard horror stories about Betsy. Well sorry folks, my Katrina just stomped your Betsy’s ass into the ground. The hospital I was born in, in New Orleans, is never going to open again. Charity hospital was a free hospital, and I was born there because it was one of the few places still operational after Betsy.

Man my head is being bombed again. It’s 2:30 in the morning and now I have to bring my son to the hospital in the morning, he’s sick now too. Damn, there is sickness, death, destruction and mind numbing crap going on all around me. Just promise me one thing, will ya? If I fall asleep, please don’t let the clowns eat me, OK?

I still haven't gotten to FEMA, body counts, looting for fun, or trying to find food and help.
Sliding down the banister of life ..........................
minir

Post by minir »

Hi RoundEye

Damn Man my hearts goes out to you & your Family. A terrible crisis most of us can't begin to imagine. :(

The only reassurance i have here is that Your a Tough SOB and if anyone can overcome this ordeal, you can.

I do hope your Sons okay and its nothing too serious.

Your All in my Prayers Tobey and I'm asking the Lord that everything will work out for You over time.

God Bless
--

minir
drdoug99
SG Elite

Post by drdoug99 »

:eek: Wow....I hope things can get settled down soon...best wishes for you and your son, I know being sick on top of everything else isn't what you guys need right now.

I'm going to save what you wrote RoundEye, it's really "eye opening" I guess you could say. Even though I really can't imagine it, no matter how many pictures or news clips I see....hell I am surrounded by a home, with a car...work my jobs, goto school...life is boring and normal as ever...while you and countless others their lives have been changed forever basically. :( It's not fair or right...I wish there was something more I could do besides donate money and blood.... :(
Randy

Post by Randy »

wow! I dont know what to say.

I only ever met 1 person named katrina and she was a real beyatch.

I truely wish the best for you and your family.
with all the environmental and uknown health hazards I would definately relocate my family for at least a year. Nobody knows what kind of long term damage can happen to people who have an over exposure to a major city that has turned to soup. why be a guinea pig?

forgive me if my advice seems underthought.

will be thinking of you and your family

concerned, Randy

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box ;).
downhill

Post by downhill »

Roundeye...you already know that if there's anything we can do for you, to let us know.

We've talked about them stones and yes..whey they rotozip them, it hurts to even think peeing for a couple of days cuz of that damed stint. The stint? Oh man...the Doctor didn't tell you did he? They don't put you to sleep to pull it out. Don't look when they insert that tool. Just grin like hell and don't pass gas because that doctor is gonna have at least one good looking nurse there, collecting all the warm water they use for a lubricant.

My god, I can't belive the first hospital missed that first stone. It's huge.

My heart goes out to you, and your family and all of the people of New Orleans.

As soon as things get back to somewhat normal around there....your going to get one dinner on me. I've promised it and I do keep my word.

Toby, stay safe and keep your family safe.

John
Chris
Location: Northern AB, CA, turn left Alaska, Turn right, Yukon Territoies

Post by Chris »

Kinda reads like Alice in WOnderland.

So RE, are you Alice?

Or the Mad Hatter.

Be safe big guy, and hold that family close
Illini25

Post by Illini25 »

:( Damn RE! Just try and keep a positive mental attitude towards things and it will improve. I know it's easier saying that from my position..but try and do the best you can. :)

Prayers and thoughts!

-Chris
Ghosthunter
SG VIP

Post by Ghosthunter »

I just read the entire post now and wow, really sorry to hear, dont know what else to say.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

I just read RE's post.

:( I'm speechless. :(
MissTynker2

Post by MissTynker2 »

Round Eye,

That was magnificently written, and writing things out can be such a healing process for you too. I cannot even begin to imagine the horrors you are living in..just watching some of the documentaries puts me in a state of total disbelief...and I am no where near the area.

The unknown an uncertainties are the ultimate of wicked foes. My heart and prayers are with you and yours. Please let us know how your son is doing...and do not forget to take care of you as well my friend...you have been to hell and back more times than most people could bear. Angel Blessings!!!
Mystical Folding Minx
Spammy

Post by Spammy »

Illini25 wrote: :( Damn RE! Just try and keep a positive mental attitude towards things and it will improve. I know it's easier saying that from my position..but try and do the best you can. :)

Prayers and thoughts!

-Chris
Yeah Roundeye Things ill get better for you , and I will also continue to pray for you and your family aswell as all the hurrican victims.

Respectfully
Sammy
- Reps for being a smartass.
SG Sh!!t List

Bouncer, downhill, John, Kip Patterson, Roody, YeOldeStonecat, Ken, Philip, David, Indy, Noevo.
thepieman

Post by thepieman »

:( Dude I hope things get better for you guys quickly. I hope everything turns out well for your family and friends.

Pie
SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!
RoundEye

a little more that I wrote last night

Post by RoundEye »

A correction and some random info.
I was thinking about the mayor/parish stuff. The city of Harahan in Jefferson Parish has a mayor, they even have a small police force. So I don’t really know how the parish system works after all these years. OK, so I’m a dumb ass. DOH!

There were winds gust measured as high as 195MPH during the storm. I didn’t think
there’s any man made structure or levee that could have withstood that, but some did.

There are also reports that the mighty Mississippi river actually flowed backwards during
the storm surge. Yea, Katrina was trying to leave a lasting impression for certain.

Back to the story………….

Riding around today trying to find an open doctor’s office and one that would take my son’s insurance was a futile effort at best. He’s a bit horse when he talks, but other then that he’s fine. No fever or anything. Otherwise I would’ve been kicking ass until somebody treated him. Just goes to show there’s nothing here, not even decent medical care.

There’s just piles of trash, tress, and the contents of people homes everywhere. It’s mind blowing to me still. As many people all over the world know now, we are a low lying city. Drainage canals are everywhere, and you can smell them for a long ways away now, a combination of smells to please the neighborhood. It’s kind of a raw sewerage, natural gas, rotting meat sort of stench. Real pleasant to be around if you are a “sticking your head up goatse’s ass” kind of person.

The roads are mostly clear, but working traffic signals are far and few inbetween. Lots of car wrecks all over, and if you think you are going to find a cop to help, good luck. There better be brain matter on the windshield, maybe they’ll stop then. They are busy you know, catching the likes of looters and stuff.

Speaking of looters, there are two kinds the way I see it. People who are just trying to survive by taking food and something to drink. Don’t eat for four days and see if you don’t bust out the glass at you local donut shop. Then there are the other idiots. The city is flooded, no electricity and you and your friend are walking up the street with a new VCR and an air conditioner. Good going Einstein, I hope you are standing in knee-deep water when you plug you new VCR into a faulty A/C socket.

The looting got so bad that the president of Jefferson Parish, Aaron Broussard, came over the radio and declared that Jefferson Parish had succeeded from the Union. At that point we no longer belonged to the United States of America. Why was this done? So that we could declare martial law, set up a curfew and to instruct the cops to “shoot to kill”. All said and done they shot eight looters. We had no backup from the National Guard, and no idea if and when the military was going to arrive. It was bad, bands of looters that were well armed driving around in large trucks, just looking for their next hit. You should see the banks and ATM machines around here. Those guys showed no fear or mercy.

They sad story is about the New Orleans cops (N.O.P.D) a bunch of them left, not to be seen or heard from again. People were trying to overrun the police stations and kill them! Two of the cops committed suicide, overwhelmed about the fact that their families where killed in the storm, so that could go to work and help protect their community, and a third was shot in the head by looters. I got to give to the ones who stuck it out, it took balls of steel.

This leads into those absolutely useless, waste of skin and souls, dip****s called F.E.M.A. When they came in to “save” New Orleans, the only place that was close and not flooded, was a small stadium in Jefferson. They thought they were in total control, but our sheriff Harry Lee showed them. As hard as things were, F.E.M.A. decided they needed all of our resources. They commandeered gas supplies, they also cut the antenna wires on the police station transmitter towers and put up their own antennas. Why? Because the police in Jefferson we smart enough to have large backup generators, F.E.M.A. seemed to have forgotten their generators at home. Man did that ever cause the **** to hit the fan when there was no comm. link for our cops, plus they told the J.P.’s (Jefferson Police) they couldn’t have any fuel without written permission from Washington. F.E.M.A. changed their minds real quick about that when Harry Lee decided to pack up his S.W.A.T. team and drive over to the gas station. Keep in mind we still didn’t really belong to the union at this point, and we weren’t taking any crap from any Feds. I guess you would have to know about some of Harry’s antics to understand him. Years ago he ordered the streets and bridges department to put up some heavy duty barricades, the problem is it was across some main streets that crossed from Jefferson Parish into New Orleans Parish. His reason, if New Orleans couldn’t control their criminals he wasn’t letting anybody in his parish. He refused to take them down for about a week, but he got his point across.

I was just watching the news and good old Harry set up another barricade at the parish line. This one is stirring up a lot of ****, in a big way. In New Orleans there’s another bridge that crosses the river, built in the 1960’s, I believe. When you cross the bridge you leave New Orleans and enter Jefferson. In all the chaos that was happening Harry wasn’t letting anybody in, not even if you lived in Jefferson. He had attack dogs, cops with semi-automatic weapons and shotguns. Full riot gear, S.W.A.T. team cops. Of course people didn’t like this, but he was trying to maintain order in a world of total chaos and pandemonium.

Turn around and walk your ass back. Sounds cruel but what are you supposed to do? One wise ass decided he was going to climb on the roof of a multi-million dollar mall and set it on fire. When he was caught and arrested the crowd got really nasty. Depending on who’s side of the story you listen to, “a shot” or “many shots” were fired into the air. 1000’s of people were about to attack the cops, I guess the cops were just trying to stay alive at this point. People got the hint and backed off quick. The guy burnt to the ground the only large mall we had on the westbank.

Another odd little fact to note, out of all people, the actor Stephen Segal has been a Deputy in the Jefferson police force for about 15 years now. You can see him, in full police gear, at Harry’s side during T.V. interviews. He won’t talk to reporters, I guess he’s there to protect Harry.

Also for those of you who think we shouldn’t have the right to own guns, keep this in mind. Criminals will always find a way to arm themselves. We had no help from any body for days, the only way to get food and water was to find a store where the owners had the smarts to buy guns, and had the balls to stand up to looters. My family and neighbors were all well armed and we all watched each other’s backs. In fact the police caught a stolen truck with about 15 armed looters about two miles from my home. We actually seen the guys drive by and just knew there was no good coming from this.

Just keep in mind, at that point we were living in wild west, third world conditions. No electricity, no water or food, no communications, and no idea if and when help would ever arrive. It was an every man for himself, survival of the fittest type situation.

………and it still is along most of the Gulf Coast.

I told y’all, the New Orleans metro area is a wild place to live. I wonder if we (Jefferson Parish) joined the Union yet.

Just when the helicopters let up some, the planes start. Right about sunset they fly by at tree top level. So weeks after the storm, my house still shakes now and then. The flies and mosquitoes have gotten so bad that the military is spraying the whole city. I don’t know what kind of planes they are using, but they come by low and fast, and again it’s quite loud.

Another note, I don’t want y’all to think I’m complaining about this. I’m just writing about it, in some ways I guess this is my way to deal with it all. I’m lucky, my family is OK and I still have a home. Some people have lost everything that they and their families have worked generations to have. –POOF- you family history is gone for generations back, now that is tragic.

.......more to come.
minir

Post by minir »

Hi Tobey

Thanks for the further info Tobey. Hopefully it will act as a catharsis for you as well. Your mind must be reeling from all that's taken place.

Stay strong and know a lot of good Folks have you in mind and are Praying for your needs to be met.

---

regards

minir
thepieman

Post by thepieman »

Just like in Florida when hurricanes hit, all the shiesters came out, there were contractors taking the peoples FEMA money and taking off with it. I wouldn't be surprised if 50-70% of those looters were there from other states and aren't even from NO or even Louisiana. I bet every creep from thousands of miles away went there specifically to loot just like they did in Florida.

Pie
SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!
blebs

Post by blebs »

Damn Roundeye, there are no words.

My wife shared in your rotorooting session. She just had her stent taken out at the end of July. I know, kind of stupid to put this here in light of things, but maybe it'll take your mind off of life for 5 seconds?
RoundEye

Post by RoundEye »

Update: While not denying shots were fired, the police state that they were trying to maintain order while getting busses. They found a bunch of busses from where ever they could and drove people to the evacuation center at the airport. Makes me feel better knowing people were not just abandon on the bridge.

Also some parts of New Orleans is letting people back in, depends on what zip code you live in. Don’t expect to have water, electricity, food telephones, cable T.V. or any modern convenience though. You need an I.D. proving where you live and there will be searches for drugs and weapons as you come back in. The mayor, Ray Nagin, gave a very stern warning to criminals trying to get back in also. There is a zero tolerance on crime, and many people are being shipped straight to Angola, our state penitentiary. A very high percentage of people who walk in there never make it out alive.

He also stated that after all of this, the N.O.P.D. has a very intimate relationship with the city and they “will not take any crap from anyone”. He’s been quite blunt and hasn’t held his tongue during this. He also noted that along with a well-armed police force is the U.S. Marines, ready with fully automatic weapons and bazookas for the guys who think they are really tough. I think at this point there are about 1200 N.O.P.D and over 14,000 military personnel securing the city. Their not playing any games in N.O. kids, it’s a war zone.

…..and the saga continues.

A cloud with a razor sharp silver lining. A friend of mine finally called me back today. I’ve been worried about him and his wife and must have called them a million times. For one, their house is in N.O. and secondly, he’s a captain in the N.O.P.D, homicide division. He’s one of the guys that stuck it out. They lost everything they owned except for their two cars, which some how made it through all the crap while parked at the Superdome. At one point the very top of his house was two feet under water. He still can’t get to his house, not even with a Zodiac boat.

He and his wife stayed in abandon hotels, then an abandon retirement home for a while and now he just got to some place with electricity. Convincing the wife he was safe, he finally got her to go stay at a friend’s home in Baton Rouge.

After talking to him for a while, it makes me ashamed to say I’m from New Orleans. The police were targets, shot at on a regular basis. Even the rescue workers in helicopters were shot at. I get the impression that many dead bodies were found with bullet wounds. While talking to him I told him I was worried about him too, he said “don’t worry, when you are crazy, 56 years old, and carry a M-16 with three extra 30 round clips in your pocket, you don’t have too many problems”. He hasn’t put that gun down for almost two weeks.

Our phone called ended with his beeper going off and his Nextel ringing, “sorry man, I gotta go, stay safe”, and that was it. If y’all want to pray for somebody, pray for Juan, his family and the N.O.P.D. Military presence or not, those guys are living in Dante’s Inferno.

Why can’t I get help? At this point I am screwed for any financial help from the government, local, state or federal. Granted I didn’t have to leave my home nor did I lose everything I own, but my wife and I haven’t worked since the storm. I don’t have a clue when the place I work at is going to reopen. I don’t know where the owner lives, and the manager lives across the lake. He has to cross the Causeway Bridge which is 24 miles long, and it’s only open to emergency traffic right now. My wife’s work is destroyed, no telling what’s going to happen with that.

So what’s the hold up on financial help? I tried to start my own business a couple of months ago, even though most of my income is from working four days a week on motorbikes. F.E.M.A. is going to send me a packet on how to get a loan from the small business association. How in the **** am I going to get that, we don’t even have mail service. So far I haven’t been approved for any financial help from F.E.M.A.

As far as the state goes, they don’t pay unemployment to people who own a business. Keep in mind I haven’t shown any profits yet and a lot of my stock was lost when a tree smashed the shed to pieces.

So if you are rich, you should have enough money to hold you over for a while, if you got evacuated or lost your home, everybody in the world will give you money (which you damn well deserve). So if you are just a middle class working stiff like me, bend over you are getting it dry and hard. Don’t get me wrong, I am VERY grateful for what I have, but I got bills to pay too, and no way to get any money. Jefferson Parish is closed for three weeks, remember?

Well I got to get some sleep now, tomorrows going to be another long day. Got to go hit up the Red Cross for some more food, try and find a new doctor for my son, and see if I can get food stamps so that I can get something to eat other then mostly M.R.E.’s.

Y’all take care, and keep an eye out for clowns for me.

The vultures are coming out already. You know, the other group of soulless bastards called lawyers. They filed two multibillion class action lawsuits against the major oil companies, stating that oil drilling and exploration caused damage to our wetlands resulting in the flooding to New Orleans. Give me a break, ABSOLUTLY NOTHING could have prevented what happened here. My God, that storm was massive.

The oil companies lost almost all of their drilling platforms in the Gulf of Mexico and now this, don’t expect gas to ever come down to a reasonable price anytime soon.

Speaking of the St.Louis Cathedral earlier, that’s what Bush decided to use as a backdrop. He was in front of Jackson Square, which is the courtyard that leads to the front of the church. I’m glad we are getting help from the feds, but I feel bad about it. It’s kind of like borrowing money from a friend, because you went on a drinking binge and can’t afford to pay your bills now. I just don’t know how the U.S. is going to be able to afford this and the money being spent in Iraq. I just feel like we have become a burden on the rest of the world. What else can we do though? With the damage we have, it’s just too much for us to work our way out of it.

Thank you world for saving our collective asses.
Croc

Post by Croc »

Unbelievable stuff RE. All of it. Don't know how so many survived all of it.

Stay on top of it RE. Our thoughts are with ya.
Croc.
It will be long, it will be hard and there will be no withdrawal.
Winston Churchill
Remember: Wherever you go in life, you take yourself with you.
Croc

Post by Croc »

At the moment here we are watching Opra Winfrey's visit to NO.
Everyone should try to watch this show.
Blowing me away.
Croc.
It will be long, it will be hard and there will be no withdrawal.
Winston Churchill
Remember: Wherever you go in life, you take yourself with you.
RoundEye

Post by RoundEye »

Another birthday come and gone. Yep, I’m the big four-oh. This one was like a birthday, Thanksgiving, and Christmas all rolled up into one. My mom was going to throw a surprise party for me, but with some of my friends scattered all over the United States, and others M.I.A., we just had dinner at my mom’s house. Plus I had my very own thread at SpeedGuide.

My wife somehow found the stuff to bake a cake. In a world that milk, eggs, bread or anything that has to be refrigerated is virtually unobtainable, that’s nothing short of a miracle. We have some small stores that are open, but you better be standing in front of the right store, at the right time to get what you need. Another good thing that happened is that I can officially go home, although I never really left. The city I live in has been declared safe to re-enter, although the rest of the parish probably can’t come back for one to two weeks. It’s still hard for me to imagine packing up some clothes, leaving town for a month, and just hoping my house is here when I get back. We still have a dusk to dawn curfew though, don’t leave your house at night because you will get stopped and questioned. If you don’t have a damn good reason for being outside, off to jail you go. There is no Land of the Free around here right now, we will be under martial law for months to come.

Like the flies, the chainsaws are driving me crazy. Now that people are coming home, they are starting to clear their yards. It starts early in the morning and last most of the day. I guess it bothers me so much because even sitting in my own home, it’s a reminder of all the destruction just outside my front door. Speaking of cutting trees up, a crew of professional tree cutters seen one of trees blocking our driveway and asked my dad if they could cut it up. He said “OK, but I’m not going to pay you for it” He had planed on cutting it up later. It’s a pecan tree probably over a hundred years old and about twenty feet across. I think they were curious if they could do it. After about half a day and some badass chain saws, they gave up. They did put a good size dent in it, but the tree wore their ass out. We’re talking about a crew of about 15 pro tree cutters too. Tree 1 - Pro Guys 0.

Another old fixture in New Orleans is the WWL TV station. They have been broadcasting for so long that they aren’t even required to use four call letters like the rest of the radio and tv stations in the U.S. do. There are a few exceptions, but depending on what side of the Mississippi river you are on, you have to use either K or W the beginning of your call letters. So we have radio stations like WRNO and KKND. Anyway back to the story, last night about one in the morning they were showing footage of the city. It was from a helicopter during the day, and it lasted for about two hours. No talking, all you could hear is the helicopter engine running. Man that did ever make things hit home as they flew over the city and the surrounding metro area. Destruction and mud everywhere, you couldn’t even see the streets in many areas because of the mud or water. Every now and then I could see a landmark that I recognized but everything around it was gone, completely devastated or still flooded. The world as I knew it will never be the same again.

Just when you thought it couldn’t get any more like a horror movie. It’s not bad enough that the rescue workers have to deal with snipers, packs of wild dogs, snakes and alligators coming in from the swamp, now caskets are starting to pop up from the cemeteries. In New Orleans we have buried people above ground for centuries. That’s what gives us those unique haunted looking cemeteries. This reason for this is because of flooding and the low-lying water table, it causes caskets to pop up from under the ground. I guess in more modern times some people have forgotten about this, plus they buried people in areas that never flooded before. Well Katrina dealt us a new hand. Almost as in the Korn song, “Dead Bodies Everywhere”. Now the coroner has to ID bodies that have been shot, drowned in the storm and have been dead for years. I don’t know what New Orleans did wrong, but as they say in the voodoo world, “somebody done put a gris-gris on us”.

Talked to another friend of mine today finally, he lives about an hours drive outside the city in a very rural area. In fact they only have one little store and one red light. He was telling me about a lady that got shot in the leg for a bag of ice. I just don’t know what to think of people anymore, it’s not just New Orleans either, you can bet you ass that the same thing would happen anywhere in this country. Just take away everything people worked their whole lives to get, don’t feed them for four days, cut them of from communicating with the outside world, and see what happens. I not trying to justify what happened in any way, but desperate times call for desperate (but stupid) measures. He had a house full of people who had evacuated, and at that point nobody left the house alone or unarmed.

I’m starting to feel like I’m living in a Mad Max/Day of the Dead movie. I REALLY wish this were all just a bad dream. No dice, it’s all too real. A lot of great people from the military and police forces from all over the world, and just ordinary citizens have done some heroic things, but still to this day if you don’t watch your ass you’re gonna wind up dead.

*Just a little note, writing this in some ways helps my head get a little better, it’ll never be right….it never was. (I’m sure the rest of the world is getting tired of the media blitz) If y’all are ready for me to stop all this nonsense, just shoot me a PM and I’ll keep it on my laptop.
This will also come to you in an IMAX film one day. They were down here staging rescues for an upcoming film on Hurricanes right before the storm hit. I seen the director on TV and he said all that is scrapped now, they have more real rescues and tragedy then they ever dreamed of. I guess be careful what you ask for, you might just get it.
downhill

Post by downhill »

Better than watching all this on the news, my friend.

Thanks for the update.

Let us know when the mail starts rolling again!!
Mad_Haggis

Post by Mad_Haggis »

SPeicies!!!
BEER
Mad_Haggis

Post by Mad_Haggis »

Don't get me wrong... I used to joke about the "rouge river and guatenay" after the fact...I live in Ontario. Big red one=under water to the east, under water to the west.

Well it has been twenty years...

I',m ok

Was really upset during the rouge river dissater cause it was sorta Marine influenced=they r good :thumb:

But the polar what?/kyoto

Thats the problem i have the most know, black forest ham
BEER
Randy

Post by Randy »

downhill wrote:Better than watching all this on the news, my friend.

Thanks for the update.

Let us know when the mail starts rolling again!!
:nod: I agree man you just dont get that kind of info from the news!

great read about sad events

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box ;).
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

RoundEye,

If anyone here PM's you about stopping you kindly forward them to me.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Chris
Location: Northern AB, CA, turn left Alaska, Turn right, Yukon Territoies

Post by Chris »

I still can't decide whether your Alice, The Mad Hatter, or maybe the damn Rabbit.
RoundEye

Post by RoundEye »

I just can’t believe we have another major storm coming. If this thing wipes out another major metro area like Houston, we are in deep trouble. When I say “we”, I mean the U.S.

I don’t think many people realize the impact this will have on the transportation of goods. There are major shipping/transportation routes along the coast between the Houston area and New Orleans. If Houston is impacted like New Orleans, I don’t have a clue what this will do our economy. Along the river and Gulf coast we move tons of grain products for the farmers in the Midwest, plus we import tons upon tons of goods into the U.S. New Orleans is a lot smaller then Houston too, hold on everybody it’s going to be a bumpy ride.

Watching the news I seen railbeds completely washed out from under the tracks, the tracks were still there, and at one point people were hanging on to them for their lives. A 12 mile long bridge for I-10 is gone, that will take years to rebuild. No major transportation route has gone unaffected, rail, highway, or water. Also the major oil companies have taken a huge hit, and they are going to ream our asses to pay for it.

I don’t know how it happened, but some where along the line everybody was fooled into thinking that the levee system was safe, even NASA. You know that huge tank under the shuttle, well guess where that’s built? In New Orleans East, one of the harder hit areas from Katrina. NASA has moved all it’s employees, from the Micoud plant, to Florida so the shuttle can stay on schedule. Most of the people that work for major companies are doing OK, yes they lost a lot or everything, but they still have a paycheck coming in. Me, I’m still not back to work, and now Rita is going to delay that even more.

I finally seen my friend that was evac’ed to San Antonio, I could right a book alone on what he has been through. The only thing he got to save from thier home was their wedding rings. He and his girlfriend bought a home together and were getting married soon. He was telling me that it took about five minutes for the water to go up to the top of the doorframe of his house, then it slowed some. At that point he had no idea two levees had broken, and they were stuck in the middle of the two. Just imagine this, he swam out of his attic, had to dive down to the dresser to get the rings, then swim back up to the attic. The man was swimming and diving in his damn home for wedding rings. Unfreakingbelievable! The reason for the rings…….. standing in rising water in his attic, during a hurricane, they said their vows to each other and put on the rings, then he started kicking out the roof. If they were going to die, they didn’t want to die unmarried. They have nothing but the rings and each other now.

One of his main complaints through all this was having to sit in a closet to take a dump. The place they were evac’ed to had no TV, radio, bathrooms or showers. The bathroom was a closet with one of those folding toilets that you would use while camping. The smell was unreal throughout the building. Out of all he had been through, he went on most about this. I could tell he was worn to a frazzle, and after listening to him for a while, he just nodded off on my sofa.

Talking about being fooled by the levee system, when they bought the house they were told that they weren’t in a flood zone, and didn’t need flood insurance (which they bought anyway). Not a flood zone?!?! By the time the storm was over they were hanging onto the hole in the roof because the water was so high. He got on the roof during the storm and all he could see was rooftops and power lines, then he got back into the hole to ride the storm out because he was being hit with so much debris.

All this has me questioning everything I’ve ever been told by our local government.

Another friend of mine found his step dad two weeks after the storm, dead. He had moved out the house long before his mom remarried and wasn’t very close to his step dad, none the less it doesn’t make it any easier. They tried like hell to get the old guy to leave, but he wouldn’t, kept going on about how many storms he’s been through, and “I ain’t going no where”. My friend said “think of it as a vacation” even offered to take him any place he wanted to go. He wasn’t budging, they almost gave him a heart attack trying to drag his ass out the house. Finally they had to go, and headed for Florida. I can tell he’s bummed out and guilt ridden about it. His mom is in her 70’s, has no home or companionship now.

The worst part about it is not having anyone to retrieve the body. All they could do was report to the police where the body was, and wait for somebody to go get him at a later date. The only way he could describe it is “it wasn’t nothing nice”. I can’t even begin to imagine finding my dad/wife/husband/brother/sister/mom/ect. about two weeks after they had died, then turn around and leave their body there under all the debris.

If you love somebody, let them know NOW, you just never know what’s going to come along and take them away from you.

The EPA and local government is trying hard to clean the water before it’s pumped out of the city. At last report I think they said that they have removed something like 25,000 barrels of oil/gas/toxins from the water. Just a drop in the bucket in the big scheme of things, but I sure am happy they are at least trying. Not only had a large oil tank burst, the railroads evac’ed all their people out, and left thousands of railcars behind full of chemicals. Well those were flooded and spilled out too. Louisiana is now thinking about passing legislation about leaving the railcars behind during a mandatory evacuation. Why should there even have to be a law about this? I wonder what dumb ass decided to leave behind those cars in the path of a major hurricane. It’s not like they didn’t know it wasn’t coming, it’s not a frigging Earthquake. Another candidate for my Katrina Einstein club.

As I type this we are starting to get wind and rain along the outer bands of Rita. Just great, all the help we were getting just packed up and headed out. Believe it or not some of the dumb asses from F.E.M.A. headed toward Baton Rouge for safety. More in the path of the storm they are trying to get protection from. When they left the city of Slidell, they told the sheriff where they were going, he tried to tell them it wasn’t a good idea. They said that’s where they were instructed to go and left. Are these morons robots or something? These idiots can’t even change their underwear without written permission from Washington. I’m not talking about rescue teams either, I’m talking about people with laptops who were sent down here to help with paperwork.

I’m fed up with F.E.M.A. and our governor Kathleen Blanco. F.E.M.A. Has one thumb up their ass, and their other hand in their front pocket playing pocket pool. People can say what they want about Bush, but that bitch Blanco didn’t ask for help from the feds for about three days after the storm. From what I hear, we were declared a disaster zone by Bush a day before the storm even hit. I’m not a huge fan of Bush, but we need to make sure people know what really happened. Mayor Ray Nagin was screaming for help on TV for days before anybody gave him any help. People/police/fireman/Coast Guard where literally fighting for their lives in N.O. Kathleen Blanco can kiss my shiny white ass.

Let me say this, the Coast Guard risked their lives, under fire, to save the lives of 1000’s of people trapped on their roofs. In one or another I think they rescued over 20,000 people.

The police are also under ungodly amounts of stress, not only have then been working 24/7 for weeks on end, now because of Rita they have no place to stay. The city of New Orleans struck a deal with Carnival Cruise lines, who docks their ships at the wharf along the river. They would “rent” the cruise liners to the city so that essential city employees would have a place to stay. Now because of Rita they pulled the ships away from the city. Over 450 police and fireman have to find some place to stay again. Not an easy thing to do in a city, still mostly without power, water, food or houses that haven’t been flooded.
Like the famous Mr. Rogers, can we say “third world conditions” kids?

At least I have a roof over my head and electricity.

The parish of St.Bernard, who was hit the hardest (yes, there are places worse off then New Orleans), couldn’t pay their police after the 15th. It took emergency money from the state to pay them. The police chief was saying that they didn’t get paid enough in the first place and there was no way he could keep them from their family any longer, just to protect a city that has to be completely bulldozed anyway.

Well…..I have to go now, I’ve got another damn storm to get ready for. Do me another favor, call somebody you love and talk to them for a while tonight. It’s important, trust me.
Croc

Post by Croc »

Pour it on RE. As much as you can. The message you are sending out reflects the message of thousands.
:thumb:
Stay safe, you and yours.

John
RoundEye

Post by RoundEye »

Water, water go away. We didn’t get a direct hit from Rita, but the storm surge was higher then anticipated. On the news they are debating if the levee was breeched by high water or if it broke again. A guy sent in an email to the news station, he sounded fairly livid by the wording of the email, he stated that what difference does it make how the water is getting in, his house is being flooded again. At this point houses that had been pumped dry have about eight feet of water in them again.

So far along the Gulf Coast, Alabama, all of Mississippi’s coast, all of Louisiana’s coast, and part of Texas’ coast have been or will be destroyed. The part of Texas’ and Louisiana’s coast that is being hit supply about twenty percent of the nation’s gas. There is a bunch of refineries in that area. I would be willing to bet that gas prices will be in the four to five dollar range soon. Luckily in a way, since Louisiana is in a state of emergency they can’t raise the price of gas more then fifty cents. Our gas is running from $2.60 to $2.99 right now, if you can find any.

I seen something on the news that really bothered me in a big way, in Galveston there is a facility that studies some of the most deadly viruses known to mankind. The guy that ran it went on about how the building is safe, made with ten inch, steel reinforced concrete and there is a large amount of security, but it’s all electronically controlled. He admitted that there are six known deadly viruses there now, and when pressed by the newscaster admitted that there could be more. What happens if all their generators get flooded by the storm surge, like the surge that hit here in New Orleans? I just can’t believe that they would build something like that in such a volatile area. Galveston is an island off the coast of Texas at that, it can and has been virtually wiped of the map by hurricanes, it has no coastal protection what so ever. Folks we have a ton more candidates for the Katrina/Rita Einstein club here.

Something else that has been really pissing me off, is what people that live in other parts of the country are saying about all of this. I’ve heard everything from New Orleans should be leveled and a state park built, to only rich people should live along the coast since they can afford to rebuild without help from the government. Granted there is no God given right or anything in the Constitution that states that you house or business would be rebuilt just like it was before the storm, but all we are asking for is help to protect our city, rebuilding the infrastructure and some type of temporary housing for people that have lost everything.

As small as New Orleans is, we provide a huge amount of jobs for people throughout the United States. We provide seafood for many industries and restaurants, almost all of the coffee you drink comes in through the Port of Orleans, we move tons of raw food products such as grain, corn, ect. for farmers all along the river and throughout the midwest, we also are a major importer/exporter for products coming from and going to South America and Europe, not to mention oil and gas production. There are also many small countries who’s GNP relies on product moved through the Port of Orleans. Yep, making New Orleans a big ass park would do wonders for the economics of the U.S.
Random notes:
Our power is out again, glad I’m using my laptop.

Cellphone service is also down.

Our electric company just filed for bankruptcy, they said that the storm caused on an average of $100,000 of damage per household served, plus they lost the income of over 140,000 homes that are unable to take power right now. I have no idea what happens when a major utility files for bankruptcy. Oh no, maybe that’s why I have no power right now.

This one is scary, our Governor came on TV and asked people who can’t or won’t evacuate to write their Social Security number on their arm. The reason is that our coroners are overwhelmed with all the dead bodies, and this way it’ll make it easier to ID the dead and notify your next of kin.

Gotta go now, I can barely see what I’m typing and I need to catch the rabid monkeys hiding in my closet. Hmmm, I wonder where I can get some monkey bait from?

Oh, did you let somebody know that you love them yet? I’m gonna start kicking ass if y’all don’t start making those calls soon. I know Santa Claus real well, and if you don’t call he’ll let me know.
Mad_Haggis

Post by Mad_Haggis »

Gotta go now, I can barely see what I’m typing and I need to catch the rabid monkeys hiding in my closet. Hmmm, I wonder where I can get some monkey bait from?

I tought my new salad dude(he's turkish) about taps...

ou, taps....

My roomies dad dies yesterday of the Cancer...

Back 2 T taps.

He, the new guy was amazed! (when I say it's "amazed", its "Shazaam") :thumb: about the hot(red) and cold(blue) taps...

We will just call it water service...if your not on a metre now, decline!

Still to explain this to someone that obviously has come to my=it not mine=do what you want, running tap water, was a first in my [postion...

other people makin way more fun of him than me(find the humour!)

I caught him tonight licking his fingers after serving up some deserts...

It's all good I hope, gonna keep my eye on = its my job now

Open kitchen rules, that new movie about scat in your food, I think it will hurt the industry.

Not me I'm good, I do my job more than very well.

Wash your hands after scratching your ear...period :thumb:
BEER
blacklab

Post by blacklab »

RoundEye wrote:
I finally seen my friend that was evac’ed to San Antonio, I could right a book alone on what he has been through.
You know this may not be a bad idea. You have a lot of interesting stuff here. It is refreshing to read something written by someone with your writing abilities, and someone who is not putting a phony spin on the story.

I would think there has to be somebody, who reads SpeedGuide, would know how to get such a book published. If it had pictures all the better. I know I would buy one. What you have written is a good start.

Good luck
blacklab
MissTynker2

Post by MissTynker2 »

blacklab wrote:You know this may not be a bad idea. You have a lot of interesting stuff here. It is refreshing to read something written by someone with your writing abilities, and someone who is not putting a phony spin on the story.

I would think there has to be somebody, who reads SpeedGuide, would know how to get such a book published. If it had pictures all the better. I know I would buy one. What you have written is a good start.

Good luck
blacklab

Absolutely!!! What a beautiful natural talent!! :p
Mystical Folding Minx
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

blacklab wrote:You know this may not be a bad idea. You have a lot of interesting stuff here. It is refreshing to read something written by someone with your writing abilities, and someone who is not putting a phony spin on the story.

Good luck
blacklab
Didn't Kip write a book?
RoundEye

Post by RoundEye »

Sorry about not updating more, but I’ve been trying to not think about what was going on around me, it was starting to get me too depressed and clouding my judgment. Plus a major fiber optic line for Bell South broke, and if I can connect at 21k it’s a miracle. Just opening Google takes about 20 seconds or so, and a thread at SpeedGuide takes about 2 minutes per page, if there aren’t any pictures. I finally got Outlook setup on my laptop to check my mail, and it took about 45 minutes to download all my mail from two accounts. Most of which was freaking spam.

Die Spammers Die!

I got to sit in traffic yesterday, which most people hate, but to me it’s a good thing. It means people are finally coming home and back to work. Most of New Orleans is still closed off though. It’s a big difference then when there was just a couple of cars here and there, it looked like a ghost town There are signs up everywhere for people wanting to rip up carpet and tear out sheetrock. We even made a few, but haven’t had any calls yet. Nasty as hell work, but at least it’s income till I can find a regular job.

My friend that had to kick his roof out to get out of his home, got to go see it. After being flooded for a month, he said there is nothing to save. They had to break the doors down to get in, there was about a foot deep muck which was a combo of mud, sewage and crude oil from the tanks that burst. All the ceiling fans and light fixtures were broken from the furniture floating up and smashing them. His motorbikes were black like they had been in a fire. All the aluminum had oxidized and the plastic was smashed from the power of the water pushing them around the garage, plus a large toolbox had flipped over on one of them. After all that I think they could only save about enough stuff to fill two five gallon buckets. Everything you every worked for your whole life, reduced to two five gallon buckets, what a bummer. We were talking on the phone and I just hear in his voice how dejected he was, after a bit he said he didn’t want to talk about it anymore and just wanted to go to bed. I really can’t blame him, sounded like he needed to escape it all for a while.
If there could be any good at all in his life, at least he credit was good. A lot of car dealers are deferring payments until the end of January next year. He was looking for a used truck and right now everybody and their grandmother wants a truck. Used trucks are just a couple of thousand dollars less then a new one right now. So he was able to get into a new Nissan with nothing down. Lucky for him the dealer couldn’t verify that he doesn’t even have a job right now. I was talking to him about being able to make the payments come January, he said by then he should be working and if he can’t make the payments so what, let them have the truck back. He’s lost everything and doesn’t care if his credit goes south. It’s not the right way to think about the matters at hand, but who am I to argue with a man who almost drowned in his attic and lost everything he’s ever owned. At least for now he has transportation to look for a job. Hell, he’s living with his mom about 90 miles from his old house, it’s not like he can jump on a bus to get to work. Plus the insurance company agreed to give him about 24 thousand for his old car and bikes that were flooded, he’s going to dump about 20 grand on the truck note. I’ll believe the insurance company when he has the check in his hand, they told my father in-law they would give him 6K for his truck only to turn around a week later and reduce it to $3200. He’s not a happy camper right now and told them to tear up the claim. That freaked out the insurance company, I’m curious how this’ll play out now. He’s a siding subcontractor and can’t do without his truck, not even for a day.

My other friend whose step-dad died is having it rough too. (I keep saying “my friend” because I don’t want to use too many names on the net without their consent)
I didn’t know it but his mom is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer’s. So every few days she ask to go home and they have to remind her of what happened. That has to be a living hell for his whole family. Really nice old lady and very polite, but I know along with her Alzheimer’s her eyes must be really bad. Every time we go over there she tells me how good looking I am, and she ask my wife if it’s OK that she says that. Now I know I’m no Fabio and anybody who keeps telling me that I’m attractive can’t be in their right mind and damn near blind. Don’t get mad at me on how I phrased this, I’m not making fun of his mom, I’m making fun of myself. His birthday was Oct. 1 and my wife baked a cake for him and we brought it over. It was nice to see him smile and everybody forget about the dismal bull **** going on outside for a while.

I found another candidate for the Katrina Einstein club….ME!
We were riding around and I noticed one of those Sponge Bob space walk things in the trash. So I got out and threw it in the back of the van for my son to play with. When we got to my in-laws I pulled it out and set it up. I plugged it in and when I reached down to turn it on….. it bit me hard! I felt like I was in an electric chair. I got stiff and couldn’t let go, so everybody is standing around just staring at me, I mean hell man, the hair was standing up on my arms and I couldn’t move or talk. It took everything in my power to let go. It couldn’t have been any worse had I stuck a paper clip in the wall socket. After that I was weak in the knees, and my whole body was tingling, I think I have a few more gray hairs too. So the next day I took the motor apart and dried it out

Now here’s the kicker, after embarrassing myself in front of a bunch of people garbage digging, damn near killing myself turning it on, cleaning it off real well so it would be safe for my son, he won’t get in it. I mean he is scared ****less of it, to the point of crying his eyes out, which is rare for him. Well, as many of you know already, I’m not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but at that point I bet I could have lit up a whole neighborhood full of Christmas lights. :rotfl:

We took pretty good ride last night since the curfew has been lifted, the piles of trash everywhere is just unbelievable some of them are at least two stories high. We went to the wealthier neighborhoods that are near the lakefront and took most of the storm surge. They are doing pretty good at cleaning up, I guess because of their income they are able to hire private contactors to remove the debris. I seen a projection TV that was so big it wouldn’t fit in my van, I was tempted to take it, but I wasn’t killing myself over a TV that I probably couldn’t fix anyway. It sure would have been nice to play the Playstation on that TV, with my son in his room, when he gets old enough to play. Oh well.
Speaking of trash removal, before it can be picked up, private contractors from the EPA have to sort through it. They remove things such as cleaning materials, paint cans, gas cans, propane tanks, refrigerators (which later on they reclaim the freon and remove the rotten food) and any other hazardous materials, which they can’t identify. I have to give big time credit to the guys on the refrigerator duty, that has to be one hell of a nasty job. The rotten food has to be treated as a biohazard. I guess they are going to bury it somewhere far away from the general population. If they burn it, it’s going to be one of the worst smelling BBQ’s in US history. YUCK!…. sure hope it’s downwind from my home..

Some random facts:
So far 140,000 houses have been condemned, and that’s just the houses that they can get to. They have big Orange stickers on them letting the owners know, when they come back, the house has to be razed. Down to the slab and start over.

Approximately 230,000 cars have been totaled.

If I remember correctly there is 23 billon tons of trash that has to be removed, at this point they are trying to figure out where to put if all. The EPA is letting them burn the trees and non-toxic materials. We have a park that’s about 100 acres, and they are bringing trees there to be shredded, which then they load up into large trucks to bring to the dump. I would bet that when we drove by, the shredded trees were at least 60 feet high. I’m not sure how high power lines are, but it was higher then the power lines.

I’ve lost my appetite for eggs for a while. While I was taking care of my bathroom duties this morning, my son figured out how to open the refrigerator. He also figured out how to open the egg cartons. Well he decided to throw two dozen, yep 24 eggs, right over the baby gate into the hall. Wouldn’t have been too bad if we didn’t have carpet in the hall. Man was that ever a mess with all the yokes and shells broken all over the place, and soaked into the carpet. I’ll tell you what, Humpty Dumpty didn’t need all the King’s men or the King’s Horses, he needed a damn trauma center. I had a little egg war zone going on down there.

………That’s all I needed, the kids only 20 months old and the very first house he decides to egg is his own. If he puts me through just half the crap that I put my parents through, I’m going to need a straight jacket by the time I’m 50 (like I don’t need one now, but that’s a whole nother book).

We finally started getting some TV stations back on line, and the ones that have been
online from the beginning have stopped the 24/7 hurricane coverage and started showing
some regular network programming again. Network TV sucks donkey nads. I’m more of
a History, Discovery channel type of person. Daytime soap operas drive me nuts, it’s not
like I don’t have enough problems of my own, I’m going to sit down and watch
somebody else’s drama?!?! Yeah Right, I’d rather clamp my nuts in a vice (tight).

It’s times like this that I have to close my eyes and think back in time some. The last real vacation was when we flew to Detroit to the see The Who. We met up Noeveo, BMED
and one other guy from SpeedGuide, whose name I can’t remember (sorry). Anyway we went to the concert with Noeveo and his wife and after that my wife and I rented a car and drove through Canada to Niagara Falls. A good ways downstream of the falls is some steps that lead down to the river. After a decent little hike we climbed over some large stones and sat on a big flat rock for a couple of hours. Didn’t talk much at all, just sat there enjoying the sun and the sound of the river rushing over the rocks. As loud as the water was, it was peaceful and relaxing. That’s what I think about to escape my surroundings for a while.

I also think about my next vacation, which hopefully we’ll be to go white water rafting in the Grand Canyon or go to bike week in Sturgis and see Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills. I know that’ll be years away but that is what keeps me going, at this point all I can do is dream about my next adventure. If I try hard enough I can make it happen, all I can do is try. My hopes and dreams is what help me make it through the low points in life.

As bad as things get, they won’t stay that way forever if you just try to fight your way out of it. I’ve been through too much to know it doesn’t last forever. I’ve had more help from family and friends then I ever had before, so I know it won’t last very long this time.
RoundEye

Post by RoundEye »

I'm going to play a little show and tell of what it looked like at my house after the storm. If you have any questions about a picture, please DO NOT quote the picture, right now I'm only connected at 14k and it took forever to upload the pics, aand if they are quoted too many times I won't be able to open the thread.

Picture #1, Here's the levee that protects a big portion of South Louisiana. When the snow melts up North the water comes up pretty high around here. that's why on the backside of the levee is cement. It keeps the water from eroding away at the levee. Just think, as high as this levee is, the storm surge pushed water over it in some areas. The blacktop on top of is for people to ride thier bikes and skate if they want to.

Picture #2, Here's just one of the trees that blew down across my driveway. It took almost three days to even make a hole big enough for us to get a car out of our drive way.

Picture #3 Another shot looking down the driveway towards my house, believe me, my house is back there, about another 500 feet back.

picture #4 Here's another pic showing how the wind just pushed everything over to one side. Again blocking my driveway. I have no clue where the white tin came from.

Picture #4, My wife and son standing by the roots of another damn tree that blew across my driveway.

Picture #5, My back yard. If look at the right you can see the corner of my house, those green specks are leaves that impregnated themselves into the siding from the wind.

....more pics later.
RoundEye

Post by RoundEye »

Here's my wife's car, once we got the tree off of it, the damage wasn't has bad as I thought it would be.

This is the shed where we had a lot of stuff stored. In the back left is an old two piece bar that my dad has been saving for years, I bet the thing was well over 150 years old. My wife also had her great grandmothers china in there. I also kept extra PC stuff and all my bussiness inventory in there. We all took a hit in one way or another when that tree crashed through it.

Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Damn :nope:

I'd still be in a daze from it all. What kind of condition is the rest of your house in RoundEye?
Mad_Haggis

Post by Mad_Haggis »

Torn trees...

I have a fact...

Nice Pic=Your Still Alive!

Cause you posted a pic cause, Cuzz? :rotfl:

16 years ago they used to call it wet rott

they stopped using copper comium arsenate five years ago, AC?DC?
BEER
knightmare

Post by knightmare »

shocking Round Eye,
My heart goes out to you. Took guts & courage to write/relive the events there, plus post pics.
Prayers go out to you.
“"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."”

Bruce Lee
Zerohero
Advanced Member

Post by Zerohero »

Prayers go out too you!
The Chicken Hawk has spoken...

http://www.gameagme.com
Tactical Damage Clan Server
http://www.tacticaldamage.com/