!!!SCANNING FOR UNCAPPERS OCCURRING!!!

Frequently asked questions, Classic threads, as well as interesting and informative topics from the SG Broadband Forums.
JeffL

Post by JeffL »

Faster connections just mean more theft; therefore they are just as much to blame as the individuals uncapping thier modems.
Faster connectiosn in the wrong hands cause theft, NOT the connection itself.

If you and so many others are so concerned about not needing 3MBs download for casual surfing, why aren't you still usng your 14.4k modem? Oh, thats right, its too slow.. :rolleyes:
Second, if uncapping is something they want to avoid (loosing bandwith isnt thier concern, loosing money is) better methods could be used to make "uncapping" nearly impossible for most users
Exactly.

I read recently on Slashdot that a program is being made to uncap your modem in one program, with only a few steps involved. As easy as 123. Now thats a scary fact.
JeffL
Randomosity4.us
Earthlink 7000/512
MasterPcWiz

Post by MasterPcWiz »

cant wait tell that program come out lol just to see if it works :rotfl: :2cool: keep us informed
Stealthbig

Post by Stealthbig »

Well im new to this and on the main site it sais uncapping isnt possible with the new cable standard. If it it possible, how?
MasterPcWiz

Post by MasterPcWiz »

this tells all about how to do it http://www.rmvtechnology.com/derengel/ :rotfl:
newbie1
Advanced Member

Post by newbie1 »

Originally posted by MasterPcWiz
this tells all about how to do it http://www.rmvtechnology.com/derengel/ :rotfl:

maybe a private msg to him would've helped ...not, sending the link out to the public...
Indy
SG VIP

Post by Indy »

Believe me, uncappers are an easy mark for termination...
------
“The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein
Matrox23

LOL..ignorant

Post by Matrox23 »

If you and so many others are so concerned about not needing 3MBs download for casual surfing, why aren't you still usng your 14.4k modem? Oh, thats right, its too slow..

LOL..Yeah ok. A 14.4 modem has always been fast enough to load web-pages I forgot...LOL You know the difference between a 500kb and 768kb connection for general web browsing is very hard to distingush. Yet a 768k to a 1500k is almost impossible to distinguish. Anything after 256k is plenty fast for general web browsing!! Anything higher then that is for "download" speeds. Anything that is 1MB or greater generally is a: Movie, app or music. Of those things what do you generally see implemented in web-pages??

Anyways I want the 3mb connection because I do what I listed above. Yes Im a theif; but I dont go crawling on message boards saying redundant things like "your stealing my bandwith"; Im not ignorant enough to think my "USE" is better then your "USE". Instead of saying the same'ol "Your stealing my bandwith" maybee you should say something more intelligent like; oh I dont know..."Your actions could inadvertantly cause your neighbor not to gain access to the internet" or "When you suck all that bandwith your neighbor is hooking up his old 56k modem for faster speeds".

Instead of saying "YOU" are his neighbor maybee you should get back to the community level and say "HIS" neighbor. Because we all know that 99% of the time "YOU" are not even in the same city as "HE" is. Therefore you just look like an idiot; and your words get you no-where!
make7upyoursman

Post by make7upyoursman »

If everyone here wants there cable uncapped so badly start working for the cable company and u'll be able to without being fined or sent to jail.
Soporific

Post by Soporific »

Believe me, uncappers are an easy mark for termination...
You've said this a few times, would you care to elaborate on it?

Curious...

~S
Indy
SG VIP

Post by Indy »

Originally posted by Soporific

You've said this a few times, would you care to elaborate on it?

Curious...

~S
Not really, since I work for the cable company...
------
“The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein
Sava700

instructions

Post by Sava700 »

ok I have the SB4100 and I want to know exactly how to see the capped speeds my ISP have on me.. .. I've researched my contract and had a lawyer double check me on it and seems there is no binding words or comments made that I can't uncap if the modem is capped to a certain speed. So seems if I can get it done they can't do a thing less they wish to change there contracts for future customers :)
Kip Patterson

Post by Kip Patterson »

You may wish to check with another attorney.

You do not have a contract in the usual sense. The cable company sets the rules, amends them when they like, and you have to abide by them. The legalities really aren't worth discussing, because the reality is that if you uncap you will be caught and you will be at least warned, if not terminated on the first offense.

You may be able to see what speeds you are capped at by pointing your browser to 192.168.100.1 and looking at the modem settings. Some ISP's disable this function, however.
Sava700

legal

Post by Sava700 »

whatever you say man your the moderator ahha

guess the lawyer of 27years is wrong?
Kip Patterson

Post by Kip Patterson »

Well, see:

"7. Policy Changes. This Use Policy may be changed from time to time by Adelphia in its sole discretion without prior notification to You by posting such change at http://powerlink.adelphia.net (the "Adelphia Internet Site"). Use by You of the Power Link Service after a change to this Use Policy has been so posted by Adelphia shall constitute acceptance by You thereof. If You do not wish to accept such changes, your only remedy is to terminate the Power Link Service Adelphia is providing to You under this Agreement within thirty (30) calendar days of the date such change is posted by Adelphia to the Adelphia Internet Site."

As well as:

"(iv) to improperly interfere with, inhibit, degrade or restrict the use and enjoyment of the Power Link Service by others or Adelphia's ability to deliver the Power Link Service to users and to monitor the Power Link Service, backbone, network nodes and other aspects of network servicing, including, without limitation, by:

. . .

(F) failing to comply with any bandwidth, data storage or other use limitations imposed on your use of the Power Link Service; "

Now, maybe your attorney has a different reading of the sections above, but, legal theory notwithstanding if you uncap you will be found out and in all likelyhood terminated.

My concern is that folks will read your post and take the word of your attorney at face value and go out and get in trouble.
Soporific

Post by Soporific »

Originally posted by Indy

Not really, since I work for the cable company...
Is this some kind of proprietary information no one else knows or something? I'm not asking how to hack your network, just a general idea... i.e. is it done by monitoring speed, or checking configs, etc.

~S
onetrueday

Post by onetrueday »

the only way you can get away with it is if you work in tech support for the cable company. A friend of mine worked for adelphia and had some blazingly fast upload speeds. I dont necessaryly agree, since it was cutting back on his nieghbor's speeds; however he wasnt running an ftp server or the likes. So, we can all relax about that!
MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
radeon8500 (4 HS's)
2 80gig WD se's raid0/120gig WD
30gigWD/15gigMaxtor/1.2gig WD
512megs corsair pc3000xms
Sava700

does it matter?

Post by Sava700 »

we can argue this till we are both blue in the face Kip cause does it really matter? I'm accually happy with the speeds I'm getting on yeah Adelphia IP# check came in handy I see.. but if I felt the need to do so I'd done it by now just wanted to see how far it would be taken since its a worthless argument and funny to see certain replys *LOL* have a nice day :)
deleted_acct

Post by deleted_acct »

oh so if you work for the cable people you get your cable uncapped man my neighbor works for cox i bet hes stilling all my bandwith no wonder i got slow speeds