Static IP or Dynamic IP?

Frequently asked questions, Classic threads, as well as interesting and informative topics from the SG Broadband Forums.
Dennis

Static IP or Dynamic IP?

Post by Dennis »

I am using @Home service. I got problem in accessing the internet a while ago. To solve the problem, @Home technical support changed my network settings from dynamic IP to static IP. What are the differences between these two? Which one is better?
Praetorian

Post by Praetorian »

Dynamic = IP changes
Static = IP never changes

easy enough? heh
dje2242

Post by dje2242 »

Dennis, apparently I have a similar problem. I recently signed on to TCI @home and had problems with disconnects. They had me remove and reload the Ethernet adapter and now my static IP address does not show up in the configuration settings. When I tried to manually re-enter them, I could not connect again. So I removed and reloaded the adapter again and it worked fine. I would also like to know why that makes a difference, especially since my daughter, who is using the same modem on a different PC with Windows 95 and Netscape has no problems with a static IP address. I'm wondering if it is related to either Windows98 or IE5 (both of which I am using). I'll be watching to see if you get a more complete answer to your question.

------------------
Diana {} :)
dynhost

Post by dynhost »

Actually Static IP and Dynamic IP is more than just change and never change.

Static IP means the ISP assigns to your computer a fixed IP address until you unsubscribe from the service, close your account. You must check with your ISP (@home) to be sure that they provide fixed IP address before attempting to set the fixed IP address for your computer.

Dynamic IP means the ISP will assign to your computer an IP address every time you sign on and this IP address can be used later for some other computers (customers) after you sign off.

As far as the Internet application is concerned, static or dynamic IP does not make any different as long as you have an IP address the browser or mail reader should work just fine. However, if you have a dynamic IP address then when your computer started up there is a negotiation process going on between your computer and your ISP server in order for the server to assign you an IP address. This is call DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). If your ISP states that they provide dynamic IP and you have problem connecting, it is likely that this DHCP process was not carried out properly. You must call @Home to find out why.

Static IP must really mean never change for the life of your account and must really mean that you do not have to set up your TCP/IP to use DHCP. In Windows world, it means that you must enter the IP address by manually in the TCP/IP Properties dialog. You must call @Home to make sure that they REALLY provide static IP.

------------------
Static Host Name for Dynamic IP address: http://www.dynhost.com
BooTs

Post by BooTs »

As long as you never unplug your cable modem, it should be a fairly static IP address.. I says fairly static because its not TRULY static.. if you ever unplug, or disconnect your cable modem for a resonable length of time, your cable modem will negotiate a new IP address with your service (well before you open windows) a more obvious example of dynamic IP addresses are dial up (ewwww) You get a new IP every time you log on. But for @homo, err @Home you will probably have the same IP address for most of the time you subscribe.

------------------
If you actually want my help, dont email me.. ICQ is the way! :)