does network card effect speed??

Frequently asked questions, Classic threads, as well as interesting and informative topics from the SG Broadband Forums.
silkman

does network card effect speed??

Post by silkman »

Right now I'm using the network card rogers@home provided me. And I have a 3com network card with me also. If I switch my network card to the 3com one will I see performace increase??
iBringPain

Post by iBringPain »

3com earthnet cards are better because they do not use any juice from your processor. Your ping may only go down 2 to 5 but the connection is cleaner. When using 3com change the down poll rate from 8 to 64 for better proformance.
Brent
SG VIP

Post by Brent »

nah, probably not, unless you have a slow cpu

generally a PCI NIC is better cause it uses less cpu resources

and if you are on a LAN it don't hurt to have 100Mbps Full Duplex, you can only get that with a PCI NIC
bug

Post by bug »

silkman has made no mention of what *type* of NIC he has [ISA/PCI]. Switching to another brand of NIC may or may not yield a performance increase. You will need to try it to find out Image
silkman

Post by silkman »

well both of my card is pci. NDC and 3com
Amro

Post by Amro »

yes they affect speed, most (probably all) cable modem networks are based on 10 mbps networks.. mm so pretty much the max download u can get is 1.25 megaBYTES.. realistically that won't happen but it's possible. anyway it's plenty and doeesn't matter considering it's MUCH faster than a t1 on download. as brent said t1's are 190 kiloBYTES down and up.. cable modems...if they were uncapped and used right could theoretically get 40 megabits down and 10 up (usin a 100 mbps system which they don't) meaning the damn things could hoast major websites if u could buy an uncapped cable.. btw they are usually very good w/ latency

------------------
"If a man could have half his wishes, he would double his troubles."
-Benjamin Franklin
Recordlord

Post by Recordlord »

I have a Aopen card in my machine currently. I was wanting a 3com if it is faster let me know. I ordered a 3com card with 3xp processor onboard but I shipped it back because it needs win2000 to take advantage of the advanced features!!

Try that 3com card lemme know how it works!!
DoughBoy

Post by DoughBoy »

iBringPain, what did you mean by changing the down poll rate from 8 to 64? and how would I go about doing it?
BMED

Post by BMED »

Originally posted by DoughBoy:
iBringPain, what did you mean by changing the down poll rate from 8 to 64? and how would I go about doing it?
Doughboy, Go to your network settings in your control panel, under configurations
click on your network card, then go to properties and then advance. There you will see the down poll rate setting. Hey BTW how did you get your doughboy image under your name, I've tried with mine and no luck email me with the answer if you don't want to post. Thanks!

------------------
1CenT

Post by 1CenT »

well.. i got an intel ethernet card
10/100mbitps
on adsl.. 10 miles from co-office.. lol
1.5mbitps max... i get download around 120-160k/sec.. which is pretty good
but i ping bad.. almost 50ms to my first route.. i think the ethernet card made it as fast as possible =)
and the tweaks!
Kees

Post by Kees »

Originally posted by iBringPain:
3com earthnet cards are better because they do not use any juice from your processor. Your ping may only go down 2 to 5 but the connection is cleaner. When using 3com change the down poll rate from 8 to 64 for better proformance.
I have read the advise and looked for the setting. Is it possible that my 3Com 509B ISA does not have that setting? I can not find it
silkman

Post by silkman »

well I installed the card and I can't seem to find any setting that iBringPain mention.
I have a 3com 3C9058-TX. And now i have an extra protocol thing in my network setting call 3Com TCAATDI Diagonostic TDI. Can someone tell me what is that. Thanks

PS: speed seem to be slower after install the 3com card. And yup I dont' all the tweak.
iBringPain

Post by iBringPain »

Right click on network neighborhood icon, proprties, hightlight 3com and go to proprties. Advance, change down pole rate form 8 to 64. restart the only tweak I use is "set_win"... hope this assists you.
yurka

Post by yurka »

iBringPain: on my advance tab no pole rate, just Property: None, Value: Present (on the right). It's 3COM Etherlink 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX) card. No good?
How do you mean "the connection is cleaner"?
What is better performance? Faster speed?
iBringPain

Post by iBringPain »

Are you using 5.1 drivers?
silkman

Post by silkman »

how do you check your version??
silkman

Post by silkman »

ok During the installation of my 3com netowrk card I come a cross a error saying that a curret file cannot be found on disk. I have the option of ok, cancel, browse and skip file. So i decided to skip file. The file name is TCAEGT32.DL_. After a couple of reboot I then decide to run the 3COM NIC doctor program and an error pop up saying "Error loading library TCAEHWAL.DLL" so my guess the file i'm missing unable me to load the 3com nic doctor. So if your using 3com 3c905b-TX network card check if you have the file TCAEGT32.DL_ or DLL if so please send it to me so I can place it in to my window system folder. Thanks.
iBringPain

Post by iBringPain »

you can go to 3com and dl the file yourself or send me your addy
iBringPain

Post by iBringPain »

World Wide Web Site
Access the latest networking information on the 3Com Corporation World Wide Web site by entering the URL into your Internet browser:

http://www.3com.com/

This service provides access to online support information such as technical documentation and software library, as well as support options ranging from technical education to maintenance and professional services.

3Com FTP Site
Download drivers, patches, software, and MIBs across the Internet from the 3Com public FTP site. This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

To connect to the 3Com FTP site, enter the following information into your FTP client:

Hostname: ftp.3com.com (or 192.156.136.12)
Username: anonymous
Password: <your Internet e-mail address>
A user name and
yurka

Post by yurka »

C'mon, guys! All this education and knowlege and you can't even ask a question?
1. first, put a name of the person you are asking and
2. do not answer a question with a new question: you only confuse things and the BB looses its sense!
silkman

Post by silkman »

ok my problem slove
just updated my 3com driver and now everything work fine. Thanks guys