Problem in using Sygate to share cable modem

Frequently asked questions, Classic threads, as well as interesting and informative topics from the SG Broadband Forums.
Dennis

Problem in using Sygate to share cable modem

Post by Dennis »

I built a 3-PC LAN and use Sygate to share the external Motorola cable modem. I could surf the internet from all three PCs with no problem. However, I could not access the email server from the two Sygate client PCs. Any suggestion to solve this problem?
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Many Cable ISPs use just "mail" or "mail-server" for the mail server name. Resolve this to a numeric address and put the IP as your mail server in the client PCs. Let me know how it works out.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Hi Phillip,

Thank you for your reply. I am not very familiar with the terminologies used in LAN. What is the "numeric address" you mentioned? Where can I find this numeric address?

I am using @Home service. The setting of POP3 is "mail" and the SMPT is also "mail". Should I replace these two "mail" settings with the "numeric address"?

Thanks,
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

On the server PC, go to START>Programs and choose "MS-Dos Prompt". Type "tracert mail" and look for the numeric address in brackets. You have to replace the two "mail" settings with that numeric address.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Philips,

You saved my day! This problem has bothered me for a long time. What a relief to find the answer.

Thanks again.