@home up/downstream test

Frequently asked questions, Classic threads, as well as interesting and informative topics from the SG Broadband Forums.
ET

@home up/downstream test

Post by ET »

does anyone know how to access this program, the tech did it and i had it for a while until i reformatted. it looks like netdiag but this test shows upstream/downstream speed to local im assuming. i cannot remember the file path and when i did have it it didnt really lead to anything on my HD. anyone know what im talking about. if you would look in start/run and use the drop down arrow (if your an @home user) then maybe it will show on yours and you can post here. it is a long pathname is all i remember. Thanks
icepic3616

Post by icepic3616 »

I would like that program, i have never seen it, its suppose to be on the CD but I can't seem to find it
dougc

Post by dougc »

Netdiag is on the @home cd at /Install/Network/setup.exe I do believe.

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited 02-10-2000).]
Linus van Pelt

Post by Linus van Pelt »

sorry
------------------
"I love mankind, but it's people I can't stand!" Linus van Pelt

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited 02-10-2000).]
PhoneTech

Post by PhoneTech »

The @home tech gave it to me and told me not to give it out unless we wanted it to disappear. The reason for this is that only a couple of people can be active on their server using it at one tme, and they use it to work with. When he was here it took 5 min to get into it because others were using it. If it is abused they will change the passwords. So, like dougc said, out of respect to keeping the service we shouldn't broadcast it.

ET, if you email me I'll set you straight by email about this service.

[This message has been edited by PhoneTech (edited 12-22-1999).]
TheRock4

Post by TheRock4 »

Dont abuse it because
1) It logs any test on the proxy server
2) It causes the bandwidth for the area to degrade for the duration of the test...
Raos

Post by Raos »

Oh f*ck, I ran that thing like 8 times...... Image Image Image Image I think I'm dead....
Darkwraith

Post by Darkwraith »

Whenever i run that command line and program I get an error message stating "Error 106 Unexpected end of stream" Does anyone have any ideas what that means. BTW I'm on Rogers@home in Vancouver BC Canada
Raos

Post by Raos »

I think they prolly locked it, Im in Richmond BC
Darkwraith

Post by Darkwraith »

Yeah I'm in Richmond also, what utter garbage service Rogers@home is . I've had their service for ten months and gone through three diff modems. Two lancities and now I have a Terayon . I cant complain too bad about the terayon but the lancity modems were just utter garbage. The guy who installed the lancity when I first got the service put in a signal reducer for some god unknown reason. I was getting like 2-25 kilobytes per sec.
silkman

Post by silkman »

just where excatly do you type in the "netdiag mode=installer"??? I have the netdiag install but I don't have the detail button to show me my DL/UL speed.
Darkwraith

Post by Darkwraith »

All you have to do is go to start, run C:\@home\tools\netdiag mode=installer that should do it.
martin777

Post by martin777 »

I don't have @home but I think they should supply their customers with at least a sample d/l file to test from their server like RR in Atlanta does here.--> http://help.rr.com/rredesk.asp?entity=5
Click on "connections",scroll down to "test connection speeds" and d/l the 15MB test file. I have one I got from the tech. I use
to test mine in OKC and it is the SAME speed 24/7. Image

[This message has been edited by martin777 (edited 12-24-1999).]
Raos

Post by Raos »

Yep, that good alrighty.
Joe211

Post by Joe211 »

anyone know where I can download the @home programs that come on the cd? I lost my cd.. also I was wondering if there is a place I can download netdiag?
TheRock4

Post by TheRock4 »

http://www/support/software/win32.htm
This will download all the software though.
Only way to get only netdiag is from the CD
silkman

Post by silkman »

well I got the thing work but not sure if I got a good speed. Can someone help me check and tell me if its good. Thanks
You can check the the pick by click on this link
cableboy

Post by cableboy »

Hey, i ran the test.. here are my results...

Downstream= 2996
upstream= 396
Engineer

Post by Engineer »

I tried to install the @home network test software from the CD, but it would start then abort with no message. Anyone else with this? If so, can it be solved?

Thanks

RF

Insight@home in Lexington, KY
fran073@home.com
RedBadger

Post by RedBadger »

Wow, you guys sure have it good compared to my @home service which is supplied by Bresnan Communications.

My upstream is 119kb/sec.

I even called Bresnan and they said they have a limit of 128kb/sec upstream. (which trasnlates to around 13k per second. What a rip off.

Doesn't @home have any say or control over what these companies do (that use their service)?

Or does anyone know a email address I can send a complaint to?
Brent
SG VIP

Post by Brent »

Actually 128kbps is 16KB/sec, and @Home is the one implementing the upload cap! They call it the OnAdvantage Program and it's in place to stop people from running FTP and Game Servers because it uses too much bandwith. It's their way to control it. I have the same upload cap and I hate it too.

------------------
Brent a.k.a Borg Drone
Owner/Webmaster

The websites:

eXplosive3D up soon www.mngamers.com/explosive3d
Gamers Reality up soon www.gamersreality.com

Out the 100TX, through the switch, down the cable modem, over the fiber optics, off the bridge, past the head end office....nothing but Net
BlackLoti

Post by BlackLoti »

I run the test and before doing the Performance test it aborts with the error "Error 2147221933 - ActiveX component can't create object".......

any help on this??

thanks.
JustForFun

Post by JustForFun »

HEY...RedBadger!!!

After reading your post, I'm assuming you are in the Madison area because of your name and the fact that you have Bresnan@home. If so, I am curious as to what kind of download speeds you are seeing, how your install went and any other stories you can share. I recently just installed Bresnan@home and live in Madison, WI. I am seeing speeds anywhere from 25 KB/s (UGH!) to 250 KB/s on average....depending on when and where. NEVER see +300 KB/s!!! I am just curious how happy you are with the Madison area performance. If you aren't in the Madison area........forget I ever said ANY of this! Image

JFF
FirstWave

Post by FirstWave »

I'm on Rogers in Port Coquitlam in BC. I ran that test this morning at 10am and here are my results:

1330 down
129 up

Said at the end it recommends running it again which I'll try and post the results.

------------------
***even if it's not, it always is***
ExtraTrstl

Post by ExtraTrstl »

Hey I ran the netdiag upstream/downstream test and here are my results:

Upstream: 342kb (they said we are capped at 128...guess not! Image)
Downstream: 2687kb

Upstream retransmission 2.0
Downstream retransmission 0.0

Cna anyone explain whats up with the upstream (no pun intended)...if i am getting 342kb/sec then why on earth do my game servers lag?

please ICQ ME!

------------------
"What's the point of power if you can't abuse it?"
brian peterson

Post by brian peterson »

I have @home service from Comcast. It was installed earlier this month. Was the tech supposed to leave a cd behind? I did not get one.
Also has anyone tried to install the @home patch from speedguide? I can not get it to open.
thx for any info,
Brian
ExtraTrstl

Post by ExtraTrstl »

Dont use the @home patch, it sucks. I didnt use it and I just used other tweaks.

BTW> a cd in a red booklet thing labeled "Getting Started Guide" was supposed to be left behind.

------------------
Rex

Post by Rex »

Got
121kbps up
3553kbps down

So we all basically know that @home has some document which requires all providers to cap us at about 15KB/sec upstream and 450KB/sec downstream when bandwidth reaches certain conditions.....give or take a KB/sec. Personally I think they should be cap'd gansta style for over selling their bandwidth. Someone may consider this false adverstising...or atleast something that will give the gov a reason to stick its foot so deep up the internet's @$$ that it can't breathe.
ExtraTrstl

Post by ExtraTrstl »

I whole heartedly agree, but the internet really isnt regulated, and on every commercial I have seen or head they mention the cap. In their fast talking legaleese. It happens in all advertising. Sorry to say but we are helpless.

------------------
Brent
SG VIP

Post by Brent »

yep there aint notin we can do about that cap, we can complain, petition and so forth but @home as already made up their minds.

HOWEVER! They WILL be providing a Service Plan for Different speeds within 3 years it will go as follows:

High = No Cap on download, .5 mbit upload cap
Medium = No Cap on download, 128kb upload cap
Low = 1 mega bit dl cap, 128kb upload cap

------------------
Brent a.k.a Borg Drone
Owner/Webmaster
The websites:

eXplosive3D Online Soon!
Gamers Reality ONLINE! http://www.gamersreality.com

Out the 100TX, through the switch, down the cable modem, over the fiber optics, off the bridge, past the head end office....nothing but Net
ExtraTrstl

Post by ExtraTrstl »

JESUS H CHRIST??? THEY ARE GONNA STILL CAP THE "HIGH" USAGE UPSTREAM? HAVE THEY NO HONOR?

Yeah, I know one way to get unlimited upstream, go with road runner >:P

Of course I have heard that roadrunner really oversells its bandwith.
Can anyone shed some light on road runner issues?

------------------
num1rage

Post by num1rage »

I get 373kbps up and 5193kbps down. I'm on shaw@home.
funbags

Post by funbags »

Just ran the @home netdiag as mentioned above, with the mode=installer, and got the following results (@home cable in Garland, a suburb of Dallas):

downstream: 4505kbits/s +/- 24%
upstream: 106kbits/s +/- 4.8%

For downloads, my cable service is above average (from what I read here in the forum). However, my packet loss problems seem to be more severe than most- most noticed when I am playing quake 2 online. I also noticed that my pings to the gateway are surprisingly high. Any ideas?
PhoneTech

Post by PhoneTech »

You know guys, we're going to loose this feature if we keep posting it on bb's. We have some Management with @home that looks at this site and will probably take it away if we keep abusing it. As consideration to others please go back and delete your posts that have the instructions on how to use this feature. I really like that feature and don't want to see it disappear.
Thanks
baD boY beN

Post by baD boY beN »

this is what i got? i live in Surrey, BC , Canada area. are these results anygood?

[This message has been edited by baD boY beN (edited 02-08-2000).]
TheRock4

Post by TheRock4 »

bad boy ben,

Call tech support... you should have no (0%) retransmissions

------------------
If ya smell, what TheRock4, is cookin'
baD boY beN

Post by baD boY beN »

amd the millllllllions of the Rocks fans.....chant...ROCKY! ROCKY!

haha

what does re-transmissions mean anyways?