Un-capping not illegal

Frequently asked questions, Classic threads, as well as interesting and informative topics from the SG Broadband Forums.
clover

Post by clover »

I couldn't disagree more, Zerosmash33. First of all, you can spell, unlike most posters here who don't know the difference between "there" and "their"; second, you went through an entire post without flaming anyone (rare); third, you didn't use a single swear word in your post (even rarer). I won't even mention that, correct grammar and spelling aside, you made a lot of sense.

No, Zerosmash33, I would say you are anything but an insignificant teenager.

clover

------------------
http://members.nettrash.com/clover252525@yahoo.com
mig125

Post by mig125 »

I didn't swear...I didn't flame anybody...I know how to spell, but I am 27 yrs old.
Do I still get 'thumbs up' from you guys?

IMHO - The truth must be revealed!!!!
It's the principle that counts! Image
wee96

Post by wee96 »

I'm mighty tighty whitey and im smugglin plums *headbangs* Ahh well, just tryin to add to this thread, I know im weird.
Brent
SG VIP

Post by Brent »

I listen to Blood Hound Gang too
wee96

Post by wee96 »

Oh by the way, wanna see my speeds?

Now, tell me, is this a modifyed picture? Image I fixed this up in 10 minutes, and I honestly think it looks quite more convincing than Violents pictures did. Wee! I guess screenshots dont mean much these days, since they are so easy to create.

[This message has been edited by wee96 (edited 07-19-2000).]
Kip Patterson

Post by Kip Patterson »

Recommended procedure for detecting an altered screenshot:

Click on the close button. If it does not close within 3 seconds, it has been altered.
Brent
SG VIP

Post by Brent »

what?
xfactor

Post by xfactor »

can you send me that log as well, I have a @home and I use to be capped at 128KBps upload then they went to 16KBps which made me mad..

x.factor@home.com
clover

Post by clover »

Just one question Wee96: if the download speed is 33MPS and the file size is 19MB, how in blazes were you able to capture the download picture?? According to my calc you had about half a second! Image

clover

------------------
Amro

Post by Amro »

Shrug, I'm a teenager... heh.. 16.. doesn't make me ignorant though -- although I'll admit most people my age are
xfactor

Post by xfactor »

He is just that good :P
Ikarus

Post by Ikarus »

Heh. I can't believe people are still posting to this thread! My god after my exposition you'd think people would move on after discovering the truth. Anyone can do the photoshop, or paintshop pro (I think psp has it?) test with Vi's IE jpeg from brents site via transparency layering.
Ikarus,

I'm sorry if I am missing it or something, but photo editing isn't my specialty.

Can you explain clearly as to how you know for certain the screenshots are fakes?

I'd appreciate the clarification.

Thanks!
Lex
Ok lex, here we go, in all versions of IE4 and 5. The download dialog box hasn't changed the alignment of the text. Violent posted a screenshot that had him downloading the Quake3 patch exe file, and I had just posted a screenshot before it downloading the same one, but I changed the speed and aligned it perfectly in photoshop so when I overlay my doctored picture over a real download of the same file the speed and KB/sec are on the same lines (i.e. no shadows appear below (1 pixel off the original kb/sec). With violents picture, I downloaded the same file took a real screenshot and overlayed violents shot making it ~50% transparent so you can see if the text and what not is aligned properly throughout the screenshot. By overlaying it overtop of the other one all of the major text is aligned vertically on the same lines throughout IE in all Operating systems. But our good friend violent™. Modified the screenshot via a paint program but did a real quick job so the kb/sec and the speed is one pixel off from where it's supposed to be in a real screenshot of a download. You can do the test yourself using any paint program that supports layering and transparencies.

The original JPEG brent uploaded for violent can be found here - http://www.coremeltdown.com/images/speed_down.jpg

So anyone on this board can do the test themselves and see that violent was just fibbin his way into the speedguide post hall of fame (or shame).

Detailed instructions (if you have photoshop) to do the JPEG test.

Open up Photoshop, start downloading the quake3 117 patch exe from quake3world.com or any file of your liking. Press printscreen and it will copy the screen to clipboard then in Photoshop hit file --> new and it should show your screen resolution (it auto detects the size of clipboard screenshots). Then edit menu --> paste (or by pass using the paste hotkey). Now you should see the screenshot of the IE download box. Now from photoshop open up the JPEG you downloaded from brents site, and press CTRL-A to select all of it. Then CTRL-C to copy the picture from the open jpeg window. Then select the untitled PSD window and paste it in there. Now violents screenshot should be on top of the real one on a seperate layer in the window. Now go to the windows menu --> show layers and you will see each screenshot on it's own "layer" select the layer with violents jpeg and and you should see the opacity @ 100% change the opacity to 30-50% and while the layer is selected from the tool bar select the cursor arrow and move the transparent layer until you align the text "close this dialog box when download completes" and there you will see that his jpeg leaves the KB/sec light shadow one axis beneath the real shot and voila, violent is exposed.

------------------
Alladvantage - Make money surfin the web
http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=fwp860
Xayd

Post by Xayd »

Just to put everyone's mind to rest, I work for a company that sells legal research to Lawyers over the web, and just ran a search on ALL of our case law databases for the phrase "Road Runner" and the word "modem".

Zero results.

If this was indeed a criminal case between Violent and his state, it should have been made public.

Why no email address Violent? Are you even a cable modem subscriber? Doubtful.

I'll betcha that the moderator who posted the screenshots for you got them from hotmail/yahoo/juno didn't he? Probably.

Bottom line is there is no case law public in the United States as of about three days ago that involves "Road Runner" and "Modem" in any way.

Xayd
Brent
SG VIP

Post by Brent »

I'll betcha that the moderator who posted the screenshots for you got them from hotmail/yahoo/juno didn't he? Probably
I'm the one Violent sent the pictures to to post them because it wasn't working for him, the email address it came from had an ending of @usa.net the Full email address is *********@usa.net

[This message has been edited by Bouncer (edited 07-21-2000).]
martialcomp

Post by martialcomp »

The only case that we could find, if we looked, would be one titled "Teenager running amok on speedguide.net bulletin board".

[This message has been edited by martialcomp (edited 07-21-2000).]
RoundEye

Post by RoundEye »

Well, I must admit. I'm addicted to speedguide.net. I'm just posting here to get my fix. Can someone post the 12 step guide to SA (Speedguide Anonymous)? I've misplaced mine. Image
tntjboy

Post by tntjboy »

hey violent..i have charter pipline with earthlink as my isp...is there a way to do what u did with my services?
clover

Post by clover »

tntjboy, did you attach a stamped, self-addressed plain brown envelope with small, unmarked bills (nothing larger than a $3 bill with a clear picture of President Gore on it) inside? Otherwise....you are unlikely to get a reply.

clover

------------------
Brent
SG VIP

Post by Brent »

almost to 300!
wee96

Post by wee96 »

*sneeze*
The_Sandman

Post by The_Sandman »

This is not a doctered pic check it out. I'll tell how I did it later. Gotta go!
http://www.se.mediaone.net/~sandman/haha.bmp

[This message has been edited by The_Sandman (edited 07-21-2000).]
mobius0

Post by mobius0 »

Just one step closer to 300
lael007

Post by lael007 »

2 more (almost there)
lael007

Post by lael007 »

1 : getting closer
lael007

Post by lael007 »

300 YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

the longest topic ever has reached 300
wee96

Post by wee96 »

What a dumb ass, I was trying to post and didnt even think this message got through, musta been alot of people trying eh? Bleh, your three messages dont make you sheeeeeat, any of us could have done that.

[This message has been edited by wee96 (edited 07-21-2000).]
fanta

Post by fanta »

You b*******! I wanted to be the lucky 300th person Image Hey Brent what's the lucky prize?

[This message has been edited by Bouncer (edited 07-21-2000).]
Brent
SG VIP

Post by Brent »

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

prize?

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

how about a CONGRADULATIONS! Image

and a pat on the back

now what? this thread really has no purpose anymore unless Violent comes back
tntjboy

Post by tntjboy »

Originally posted by Brent:
almost to 300!
why do u say that cover? im just curious
mig125

Post by mig125 »

You are punk! Image
You cheated! 3 posts in a row...I could have done it!
eeehh, what the heck...have your hour of fame Image

But I just finished tweaking my car( K&N air filter, Red Line transaxle fluid, new plugs...I will smoke you all Image
Brent
SG VIP

Post by Brent »

Originally posted by tntjboy:
why do u say that cover? im just curious
why do i say what?

that made no sense :P
tntjboy

Post by tntjboy »

LOL sorry brent i click on the wrong person =0
Booger

Post by Booger »

I have read this whole topic, and being new to this type of cable modem stuff I am just amazed that so much time is devoted to this uncapping subject in general.

What if violent did do what he said he did ? I doubt he would want to come back here again. It just doesn't seem like a very friendly atmosphere when it comes to this topic. I read his explainations and descriptions with great attention to detail and I can see that about 99% of the people here took 100% of everything he said out of context, disected it, and then tried to make it fit into their own theories and explainations, at least thats what it looks like to a dis-interested third party. Some of the network guys at work read it and were amazed that he was immediately attacked for introducing such a radical (i guess radical is the right word) solution to a problem that everyone suffers with. They thought that it was technically feasable, but that violent did not present it correctly. His use of the terms k/sec and kb/sec , what was he refering to for example , kilobits or kilobytes ? I saw the pictures that were posted and I personally do not think they are fakes and I do computer graphic design for a living and could not reproduce the results that someone else did using the same method he describes. I did bit and pixel transformations on the pics and could find no evidence of tampering. Bit and pixel transformations are part of what,among other methods, the FBI uses to decide if pictures are fakes or not. I do not work for the FBI, but various government agencies do occaisionally contract our company for graphics work so we have a lot of the same methods. However this is just my opinion. How come no one said anything about the picture showing the FTP software LeapFTP ?

I too have searched the net for information about violents arrest and trial and found nothing. But does this prove anything ? I could not find the first arrest report on John Dillenger on the net either, so what ? There are lots of things that go on and never make it to the net. So I don't know. maybe he should have scanned in the documents and put them here. But I can understand now, after reading everything he wrote, why he did not and those who showed doubt proved him right about his assumptions. I guess it is like the watergate thing way back when Nixon was in office, the more Nixon said it wasn't true the more true it really was, so in the end by Nixon trying to make people believe that it was not true he really proved it to be true. The same thing basically happened here in that the more folks here said is was not true, taking the thing as a whole, the more true it looks.

I see that violent did not leave an email for us to use but I see that the moderator has pointed out that the email address was ********@usa.net. I looked at usa.net and it is a free email service like hotmail and the others so more than likely violent prizes his privacy and uses free email accounts to send and receive email rather than his real email, can't really blame him. After all look at the witch hunt started here. I use free email accounts too, just too many nuts about in this day and age not to.

I saw something from someone where an offer was made to send some files to someone to prove the speed ? Did I get that right ? Anyway I can see now why he did not do that. Look at the people out gunning for him on this. Do the cable companies pay you guys or something ? How could he trust anyone in the file transfer ? I mean if he did send a file then it is likely (judging from the atmosphere) that the person he was sending it to would get his IP address, contact his ISP and try to start something vengeful like claiming he was sending files un-solicited or something. It seems as though there are those types of people in the world. I get the impression from reading his stuff that he was at least intelligent to a point. I am sure he understood what he was doing but I also get the impression that he would have more than gladly shared the information in time as soon as all his legal problems were worked out.

I mean just reading the whole thing, and taking the topic as a whole, it looks like everyone just about was out to persecute the poor guy from the beginning.

Why is that ?

If I ask a question about something or put forth a solution to something can I expect the same treatment?

So if someone would please explain all this to me I would really appreciate it. I would really like to know and understand a little more about these things.
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

Hmm...how to approach this...

"Booger", You raise some valid points, where maybe people ought to be more trusting.

I'll go first. Image

I trust that you can explain to us why you and violent share the EXACT SAME IP, which is NOT a proxy server OR gateway address AND WHICH resolves to a singular node address on the midsouth.rr.com network in the same state and in the same city?

I trust that you can explain that.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

------------------
"Yeah Baby, YEAH!!!"

[This message has been edited by Bouncer (edited 07-22-2000).]
SirZ

Post by SirZ »

First of all, It is now 4:34 AM, im @#$#@ crazy for spendin the last 3 hours reading this thread, when I was just going to read this interesting looking url someone passed me. (Yes this is the first time i read a newsgroup for non-work related purposes. I got to say this is much better than a Tom Clancy novel.

Second of all, just because my name ends in a Z and has first and last letters capped, it doesnt mean im some zerocool phreak elite (snicker) character. Long ago, in a galaxy far far away, when the Internet was fun, I played MUDD and had an alias SirZ#$@#$ (these were letters of course) Z@#$@$ was the name i picked, and the Sir had to do with the Knighthood theme of the MUDD. Quickly people shortened it to SirZ and so it stuck.

The detailed reader that i am, here are some of the notes I made while reading this entertaining bit:

Brent - how the hell did you score a 10Mbit cap, and shame on you for being jealous at the OC3 guy.

Kip - By far, warezers crackers whatever you call them are not 15 year old kids. Most are university students with the big pipe at uni (been there done that Image ).

Ikarus - Dude, look at this from an outsiders perspective: "I proclaim that this guy is lying because he cheated the same way I did... oh and yeah, I am not cheating now". Kinda hard to swallow eh? You certainly didnt pick the "scientific method" to prove your point.

The MORON (btw, its not spelled mooron) who typed right after Ikarus's Eureka (or whatever ikarus yelled right before his wings melted) - I want to keep the flame to a minimum, so I'll just say you are a moron.

Those of you Calling Violent a kid - naw.. his writing and logic is just a tad too good and well presented to be a kiddo.

Ok, here goes my unbiased evaluation. Violent, there has been a contention to your only proof so far, by a guy who already set a precedent with his cheating ways. You should not get stressed out too much, anyone with a little brains would see how Ikarus shot himself in the foot for credibility. However, your lack of subsequent proof, (the file test with that OC3 guy and the two moderators would set the record once and for all) does not make us middle of the road, read and watch how it unfolds types (the ones who win elections hehe) swing towards your side. By the way, you are a very clever and smart guy (EXCELLENT comeback with the tempx, tempy, tempz) but you did lie in one area Image (GOTCHA!). The test file you uploaded... why did you pick a RAR compression, and why 15,000,000 size? I tell you why... because full cd's in the warez world, known as ISO's are released as 15 meg files, in rar packages by by the cracker groups (BTW I cant believe noone of the 300 posts caught on to this one ... much more obvious that the alleged picture doctoring) this coupled with the tempz thing sort of sinks your NON WAREZ defense. However, I can understand why you'd keep activity like that quiet (as i said, I made "good" use of the university pipe *evilgrin* ... err, I have seen such activity conducted by semi-comatose individuals whose names and faces I can no longer recall due to the fatigue induced by the all nighter lab assignment). Anyhow, as I said, i can see why you deny warez connections, but man, you MADE A HUGE mistake takin that compression, and that file size. Of course you can have clever explanations for each one of these incriminating instances, but taken as a whole its too much to be coincidence. Just think how OJ' couldn't fit that damn shrivelled leather glove of his....

Ok, I am starting to doze off, and forgot half the stuff I was going to say... but just in case you read this, we, the silent majority, decide only on concrete facts. While the vocal extremists will try to piss on your parade, or at least get you involved in a pissing match (John, good marked for your Briefs of Steel), do not let yourself drawn into a petty battle. Us rational thinkers are not convinced either way. In fact, you are the only person that supplied evidence so far. Sure the said evidence has been challenged in authenticity, but you should be happy it was Ikarus : based on my outsider read of ALL posts only on this thread, he ranks rather low on the credibility totempole (no offense to those of you of native origins). However, we need closure; disappearing now will make this story go down as a farce where the guy that could step up and set things straight didnt. Doing the file tests with those guys can settle it. Man, if I were you I would jump at the clear case opportunity to settle once and for all the authenticity of my story. Mind you if I were you, as soon as I got my bail after being arrested by those @#$@#$ @$#$$# ^#$@@# cable @#$# people, I would have called USA Today, your local or nearby big city paper, CNN, zdnet, and PUBLISH THE PROCEDURE heheh. Screw you f#4ing Cable Co's (Its OK to flame corporate entities in the geeks world, right?).

However, you were smart to cover your ass, cut a deal with the devil, and save the internet from crumbling. (Would a few million cable modem users uncapped qualify as a Distributed DoS attack on the Internet? - World War III a.k.a. Internet War I ) You thumbed yer nose at the big guy and good for you, just make sure they dont yank you in by the nose. IF on the other hand you bullpottied us, then DUDE!!! start writing books, you'll buy out Tom Clancy AND George Lucas in no time.

And finally, ladies and gentlemen, here is WHAT REALLY HAPPENED here. I, Sherlock Holmes The Second, have unravelled the mystery. Why my dear Watson, Violent's Identity is elementary. He is either Brent or John, or perhaps a nameless, faceless SuperModerator trapped entirely within this website. You see, these guys wanted to break the 300 post mark, spent a few months coming up with an superbly choreographed playset, and executed it perfectly. This resulted in masses of us bast#$( in search of the Unlimited TX Rate visiting this site every second or two, and the "New York Times" ad in the top corner racking in the schillings. Image

It has been a pleasure being part of this online novel. Whether its based on fact or fiction, the plot, character development, etc etc has been excellent, now all we need is the ENDING!!!. So Violent don't hold us in suspense, a properly closed play still is the best money making theatrical device. However, should Violent not return within the next few days ( which he will since he invested too much effort in this thread ) I call upon Brent or John to become Violent's alter ego (Subdued perhaps an appropriate name) and construct whatever ending you feel will be most entertaining for us in the audience.

How do those gay (figuratively speaking) french artsies exclaim after a splendid performance? :
MARVEILLEUS!!
(yea yea, pardon my french)

------------------
In America, first you get de suga, den you get de powah den you get de weemen! Homer Simpson Rocks!
SirZ

Post by SirZ »

Holy pottyburger!!! These posts can grow and grow Now I see how Violent ended up typin huge posts too.

Note to web designer, make the box I am typing this in autosize with the browser; Right now it could be another 150% wider without introducing the scrollbar.

PS. I am a little troubled with this "Senior Member" designation. Why try to introduce physical realm hierarchies to feed people's egoes? Do Senior Members have bigger balls? or wake up and post extra early? There should only be Posters, who do nothing but post and mod their own stuff, and Special Posters (ok call them Moderators) who can edit anyone's stuff. Simple. None of this ego feeding "Senior Member" designations.

PS Does a senior member really mean a penis that has difficulty drawing blood from the heart?

My 2 cents (All Taxes included)

------------------
In America, first you get de suga, den you get de powah den you get de weemen! Homer Simpson Rocks!
Kip Patterson

Post by Kip Patterson »

Kip - By far, warezers crackers whatever you call them are not 15 year old kids. Most are university students with the big pipe at uni (been there done that Image ).

I do not understand your comment. At no point in the thread did I say anything about Warezers, crackers or suggest that Violent is a kid.
uniqueVisage

Post by uniqueVisage »

Hi MOM,hi DAD!! LOOK the THREAD is STILL here... hehehee,

just wanted to say hi to my folks

Hey, how do you people tell what number post you are? Please, no smart answers like, start from the beginning and count it all, uhh.. unless that is what you people do? :/
Oh, one more thing, ever think about putting a spell checker on these posts? Just a sugestion <--spelling Image

hmmm wonder where violent is?
wee96

Post by wee96 »

I KNEW that was Violent HAHAHAHA, unbelieveable. I cant stop laughing, whew!
Originally posted by Bouncer:
Hmm...how to approach this...

"Booger", You raise some valid points, where maybe people ought to be more trusting.

I'll go first. Image

I trust that you can explain to us why you and violent share the EXACT SAME IP, which is NOT a proxy server OR gateway address AND WHICH resolves to a singular node address on the midsouth.rr.com network in the same state and in the same city?

I trust that you can explain that.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
SirZ

Post by SirZ »

My apologies Kip, I dont know how I wrote your name down instead of Ikarus'. I guess at 4 in the morning the brain and hand just dont have that good of interactions.
Originally posted by Ikarus:
... As soon as I saw "tempz" in the Q3world screenshot, I knew you were just a warezing kid trying to get our attention.

------------------