Un-capping not illegal

Frequently asked questions, Classic threads, as well as interesting and informative topics from the SG Broadband Forums.
dan2525

Post by dan2525 »

Violent,
Thanks for the reply. It's pretty shocking that this case, from what I understand, hinged on the wording "the modems are technically capable of...". It doesn't take a legal eagle to counter-argue that that describes the modems that are used, not the service itself. A little like selling a tv with a 125 channel tuner in a 40 channel broadcast system. Sneaky, yeah, but marketers do this all the time (not condoning) and in the instances when they are found to cross the line they're typically told to rephrase their advertising and nothing more, perhaps a piddly refund to those who file suit.
I have to believe Road Runner would feel they would win an appeal but perhaps they felt it wasn't worth the effort for one person, and perhaps they felt they screwed up in making an arrest (which still strikes me as strange).
Obviously they have a relationship with Motorola, and I would think they'd be working on preventing this from happening again.
I'd be interested in who actually pressed charges against you, Road Runner or the cable franchise, and which one negotiated your deal. (I'm with Cablevision/Optimum Online, one big happy family, so I'm not sure about all the logistics involved with second party cable ISPs).
BUT, having said that, or asked that, I'll cast a vote for closing this thread as it was never especially productive and is becoming less so. There's not much anyone else can realistically do except become jealous over your service. If someone were to try messing around with their service because of your story and either get into real trouble or simply lose their broadband, it's feasible they could hold you responsible. It's a sue-happy world after all.
For what it's worth I believe your story is possible, as I said in another post it's not like we're talking about alien abductions here. It's just hardware and software, and we all know life is about out-programming each other now.
Good luck to you either way.
NeoGuyver

Post by NeoGuyver »

SHEESH! All this commotion over uncaps, Brent, I understand how ENTERTAINING this is... It's no longer a matter of Truth or LIE, it's about all of these people, trying to be right and be the hero from the big bad LYER Image Hell I don't CARE anymore whether it's true or not, the fact that you disbeleive so much is like one of those mid-day soaps. Let it go man.. hehe

thats my 2¢
---------------------------------------------
You already do it, why not GET PAID for it? http://www.utopiad.com/member/getPaid?refId=265642 http://www.cashfiesta.com/php/join.php?ref=NeoGuyver http://secure.clickdough.com/servlets/cr/CRSignup.po?referral_id=NeoGuyver http://www.ignifuge.com/getpaid/join.php3?id=JBP648
Brent
SG VIP

Post by Brent »

"The modems are technically capable of throughput speeds of 8 to 27 Mb/s in the downstream path and the upstream path ranges from 1 - 3 Mb/s."

"Thats what was sold to me."

In that webpage the heading of that section is "The Cable Modem (Manufactured by Motorola)"

They are talking about the modem there not the service. There is a BIG difference between the Modem and the Service. In that statement they were refering to the Modem not the actual Service and speeds YOU will get.
hoochymama

Post by hoochymama »

Of course we dont have to beleive a word violent says but can we not be so freekin hard on violent just because you dont believe him?? Even if violent took you to his house, pushed your damn nose to the screen, downloaded a file at 20MB/s, you still wouldnt believe him. You end up being the one with problems not violent. So if he is lying....so what....but.. if he is telling the truth...getting violent pissed of will just make violent withold his information. ANd all of you who right of the bat start beggging for the codes, than after reading kipsters rants and raves you change your tune in like 10 minutes...you really think a smart guy like violent would than turn around and send you the codes???come on now.

Violent, just continue with what ever you want to do...you figured the damn thing out...but if you think about it...your the one holding the patent now..just like the cable companys.
Brent
SG VIP

Post by Brent »

wee hit the nail on the head

Tweaking your Registry or your Computer is Ok, it just lets you get the maximum that you can get so your PC is not the weak link in the chain.

Uncapping your speeds however is bad, because you are altering the function of the service that you do not own but Rent! If you owned the service and it was yours to keep forever you can do what you want with it. But the fact is you are renting it and paying them every month to use Their service, not Your service.

------------------
a.k.a Borg Drone
Owner/Webmaster
Core Meltdown www.coremeltdown.com

Forum: http://www.coremeltdown.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi

Out the 100TX, through the linksys router/switch, down the cable modem, over the Tap, off the bridge, past the node, straight up the gateway, past the head end office....nothing but Net
zeussoft2

Post by zeussoft2 »

I doubt he will ever upload anything to Brents FTP....im sure he read what people have been saying about him sending a mod a file but didnt want to reply yet or wont at all....why because its obvious hes just ****tin ya :-) He wont send anything to anyone because he doesnt want to be proven wrong, even though he already has and made something up and accuses the person who busts him for editing the pic.

We havent seen any REAL evidence, and the download speed 958KB/sec or whatever it said is kind of lower then the KB/Sec if you can notice Image and i think violent aint gonna post no more....or at least send anyone files that will actually prove his speeds that hes bull****ting....I enjoy watching all of this :-) Funny to see how far some people can go to get attention.
Ikarus

Post by Ikarus »

Violent:

On the contrary - your doctored pics prove only one thing - that your supposed scientific evidence is the product of your own fevered drive to prove yourself right and someone else wrong. I presented a topic that has lately become wildly sucessful, offers the truth, and you did not do it first so the attention is not on you. So what do you do - why of course - scientific investigation. Oh Please - give me a break.
So you overlayed the pics - big deal - what screen resolution did you use ? Which color depth ? How did you do your screen captures ? Which software did you use to do it with? Heck, even the dot pitch on your monitor could be different then mine.I did mine with the windows screen shot deal (alt - print screen / which copies it to the clipboard) then opened paint - pasted it - the saved it. I did it this way to preserve the information as truely as possible. In short I used the same environment to do the screen shots and did not resort to any third part software. Why not do it this way - because windows already has the stuff built in so why not use it. I did not resort to any third pary software to do the pictures except for what I used to convert them to .jpg files for emailing. Because of the file size of a Bmp image (which is much larger) I used VuePro to convert it to a .jpg image to send to Brent since .jpg files are smaller.Your so called scietific evidence is flawed from its very beginning. The wise thing to have done would have been to duplicate the environment as closely as possible, as a control. Scientific evidence -what a bunch of horseS**T.

LOL too bad I checked windows millennium too! Dot pitch? OMG LOL! You have no clue™*** dot pitch is the size of the dots on the monitor it would NOT effect the pixel contents of your JPEG. I took screenshots EXACTLY the same way you did via clipboard and I checked IE5 in Mill, w2k and 98, I can’t believe you so vigorously defend your lies, to each his own I guess. I had a good laugh anyway.

Scientific ? No I dont think so . Graphic genius ? nope! Did you comapre the pics for broken lines ? Differences in color shading ? evidences for tampering ? No none of these - and had you done your home work and remotely even known what you were talking about and done these things you would have found that everything is consistant with the pics, that there are no irregularities. Come back in a few months after you have purchased windows millennium -duplicate my computer environment as closely as possible and then tell me what you find. You will not find anything wrong.

I couldn’t have doctored your picture people can take the posted JPEG from brents site it and do the SAME TEST on their machine with Photoshop and get EXACTLY the same results I'm getting. So please stop trying to defend your lies, your only making it worse for yourself.

Regarding your so called scientific endevors -One pixel ? What balderdash! any number of things could account for that - the things I mentioned above - your own eyesight in alignment - the software its self, differences from video card to video card - any number of things - even differences on my own machine will make things appear minutely to grossely different on another one. Evidently you were at lunch during science class at school because then you would have know that an experiment without controls is useless.

Sorry but you can zoom in using photoshop and make sure the text is aligned perfectly while aligning the 40% transparency overtop. I took multiple samples of regular screenshots and overlayed them on millennium, 2K, and 98 so please go find something else to do someones put the smack down on you and you just cant take it.

How do we know that you have not doctored your pics to show what you wanted them to show ? Do I owe someone an apology ? NOPE! Things happened just the way I said. The pics are real- straight screen shots with no alterations what so ever.

Plain and simple - You guys wanted pics - I started sending them - was gonna do the court docs in a few days (as soon as I could get to a friends scanner). It doesnt matter what I do. Your so called scientific endevors (flawed tho they are and a waste of your time) will only serve to point out that it would be a waste of my time because they do not match your version of what you think should be. Even if I did send the court docs, within a few hours I would then be subject to "scientific evidence" because of a puncuation mistake when they were typed up or because that double spacing was used in some of the documents or because you did not think the dates were right or because of your scientific evidence that because I blocked out my name in the docs and other personal information. You would say because of your "scientific" investigation of the scanned docs that they did not match up with your own scanned library card or something else as stupid.

The screen shots I provided are real - undoctored - and are actually taken at the time of the associated activities - upload and download with the uncapped cable modem in Windows Millennium.

LOL it doesn’t matter which OS your running, last time I looked it still included IE5, same download dialog boxes with NO PIXEL ALIGNMENT problems EVEN BETWEEN OS's like your picture thanks.

I will not even bother to respond to such crap as your so called scientific investigation any longer - I dont care what you think - it does not matter to me what you think - the information I presented is true, plain and simple. If anyone is owed an apology here - its me apologizing to my self for wasting my time. I owe no one a apology for telling the truth and presenting a new way to do things.

Why do people so vigorously defend their fiction? I did the test multiple times before I posted, to try to GIVE YOU the benefit of the doubt. I know I made no errors.

Your just mad because you’ve been found out because “oops” thought no one would look at the jpegs and check to see if they were doctored now did ya? You can go on lying all you want you just dig yourself deeper every post by revealing how much you don’t know. I can send you the PSD files and you can grab YOUR OWN JPEG and ALIGN them yourself and see how your doctored pic is a pixel down from where it's supposed to be.

------------------
Alladvantage - Make money surfin the web
http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=fwp860

[This message has been edited by Ikarus (edited 07-15-2000).]
Suture

Post by Suture »

I am all for closing this thread now. I think it's funny how much time some of these people are wasting to try and prove Violent wrong.

Just let it go, people... let it go...
MtCableman

Post by MtCableman »

Hey!
These speeds are great!!!

------------------
Closed course and Professional user.
Don't try this at Home!
chacmool

Post by chacmool »

Going to breakfast...can you all break 210 posts by the time I get back?

This is cool....this is a history making thread...I will be able to show my grandchildren that: I was there when it all unfolded.
chase

Post by chase »

stop the complaing Violent upload a file to a mod and end the possibilty that you are lieing and it will end the arguement all together ... simple quick fast guaranteed is what i say
chase

Post by chase »

stop the complaing Violent upload a file to a mod and end the possibilty that you are lieing and it will end the arguement all together ... simple quick fast guaranteed is what i say
chase

Post by chase »

wee96

Post by wee96 »

Triple post, well thats a first Image
PostalBunny

Post by PostalBunny »

I really don't think it's debatable... I can download at 1.5Megabytes a second from the tucows mirror in florida on tampa's rr site if i let IE download 30 megs first then cancel and retry again.

------------------
Purple Bunny Reporting for duty...
PostalBunny

Post by PostalBunny »

Originally posted by Violent:
Ok I give up. Plain and simple. You asked for pics, I sent you pics. Then when I began to offer proof you guys try to tear it apart. I use the same files and servers you guys do and get better speeds and you get jelous. What can I say. The pics I sent are true and real. If Ikarus doctored his pics, as they obviously were when they they were first posted, then so what ? I used the same standard that his pic showed and beat him. Now he offers another one of his own doctored pics to prove what ? He's comparing his own doctored pics and use those to say mine were fake ? I guess I just do not understand. I will continue to enjoy these high speeds, the rest of ya just continue to enjoy being in the basement near the 56 K modems. Thanks and good bye.
Trying to be cool but it didn't work. You posted picutres of downloads, which you knew wouldn't prove anything. NOBODY would look at those and say "he's right!". They're only going ot get criticism. Just like a picture of a UFO. You can ONLY look for flaws and you CAN'T prove anything with it. What you need to do if you want to prove you ridiculous story is post information about how any one of us can go to our court house and reference your account to pull up a court case. Mabey a news paper ad... in houston where i'm at you can't have the cops come to do your door for computer related crime and NOT make the papers. Already 3 of my friends made the paper for bull about script kiddie stuph.

SURELY, someone who can decipher tcp/ip protocols to extract information off the ethernet side of a cable modem and figure out the commands to issue to a modem to uncap it and to successfully uncap it AND WILL THE COURT CASE against the cable company for theft of services, which you did steal... would make the paper. We can all pull up the paper on the web, lets have it Image

------------------
PostalBunny

Post by PostalBunny »

Originally posted by Violent:
Ikarus:

Why am I even doing this ? Because I wanted to share it with those that have wanted for so long to do something about what they thought was a crappy service.
Bull, if you wanted to SHARE you would have posted the "sniff" logs with the original post explaining HOW you uncapped your modem. You still won't even upload some doctored packet sniff logs Image All you keep trying is to PROVE to us that you have uncapped your motorola... and i'm betting your not a programmer, so if you can do it then we can. Upload instructions, we'll uncap our motorolas then you'll be a god. HOWEVER, that's not going to happen is it?

------------------
Brent
SG VIP

Post by Brent »

hey violent I'm still available to test your upload Image

alls you gotta do is send a big file to me over icq or ftp and I'll be glad to see how fast i can download from you Image

------------------
a.k.a Borg Drone
Owner/Webmaster
Core Meltdown www.coremeltdown.com

Forum: http://www.coremeltdown.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi

Out the 100TX, through the linksys router/switch, down the cable modem, over the Tap, off the bridge, past the node, straight up the gateway, past the head end office....nothing but Net
NeoGuyver

Post by NeoGuyver »

I don't think Violent is coming back Image We hurt his feelings. Actually, PEOPLE in here HURT his feelings Image So what if he was lying or not. I don't care, "It is only you who makes you beleive or disbeleive" (I dunno, combo of Phych class and maybe that Spoon thing from The Matrix). ANYWAY, IF you haven't left the board for good yet Violent, shows what user-ends are made of! (also, do the Brent-test-o-matic) Prove US wrong!

Thats NOT my 2¢, Thats my person-to-person advice Image

You already do it, why not GET PAID for it? http://www.utopiad.com/member/getPaid?refId=265642 http://www.cashfiesta.com/php/join.php?ref=NeoGuyver http://secure.clickdough.com/servlets/cr/CRSignup.po?referral_id=NeoGuyver http://www.ignifuge.com/getpaid/join.php3?id=JBP648
itzGman

Post by itzGman »

Violent please upload to brent or another moderator!
some of us still believe u =P
-G
jayyy

Post by jayyy »

accidental double post...

[This message has been edited by jayyy (edited 07-15-2000).]
jayyy

Post by jayyy »

It's over, man. I believed it, it was exciting to believe, and its still possible that what he claimed to to can be done, but violent didn't do it. Any one willing to write 10-inch posts about the variancy of pixel width to defend his honour would have just uploaded a file to brent by now. As far as I can see he doesn't even make mention of this challenge in his posts. If he does, it won't be the same IP address, he'll be on the nearby college's T1, and then this thread will go on for another 2 pages with passionate discussion over whether or not a cable IP can, technically change, whether or not his story can still be theoretically possible.
Perhaps it can (though I think the spacing on 969 k on IE 5 kills it), but thats not the point. The dynamics of the unbelievable revelation are gone. Violent is a bright kid who did a fake post out of imagination and a need for attention. He followed himself on Kips challenge and got himself in deeper and deeper until he was faking download shots on photoshop. He's just like that sad, imaginative, needy kid in 7th grade who claimed to have the coolest video game or toy or bike, but could never prove it because his mom said it was too good to let out of the house, or he leant it to his cousin across state, or whatever, making bigger and bigger fibs to cover the sad truth, letting the lie become more and more shameful and pathetic
lvslr

Post by lvslr »

Hey Violent,

I have a offer you cant refuse, I work for an ISP that has a OC3 back bone. I will place a 10, 50 and 100 meg file in front of our redirector and let you download it from us and then i will post your times from our end and you post your times you get on the download.

I honestly know that you did not uncap your cable modem, but if by some chance you did i would love to know what you did so i can keep it from happening to our ISP.

As stated earlier Bouncer can verify that I am what I stated.

Just let me know and the files will be placed out there for you to download and prove your point. That is the only way you are going to change my mind.
mndeg

Post by mndeg »

I'm an old member and I haven't seen threads this large before. He seems pretty smart and why the hell would anyone want to defend a lie to such great (insert word that fits)
mndeg

Post by mndeg »

I registered one month after brent, oh and the word that fits there is depths/extent
NeoGuyver

Post by NeoGuyver »

Technically, he could go to a nearby college and do that, BUT, you can trace it to his name, and the format SHOULD have the or.RR.com thing on the end of the DNS, so thats a dead option, if he used a T1 from a college we could trace it, to an EDU place.

kerplunk

Post by kerplunk »

I am sick of seeing this topic listed at the top of the forum every day. Let's just say Nick is an idiot and get on with our lifes and go talk about something else.
Amro

Post by Amro »

D a m n straight! Image topic is way too long and gettin old hehe
clover

Post by clover »

You don't have to read it. But let others who are interested read it.

clover
ConfusedAsHell

Post by ConfusedAsHell »

Yep. Everytime you post saying that you're sick of seeing it at the top of the forum...it brings it back to the top! I personally like it. If you don't, then don't read! Simple.
NeoGuyver

Post by NeoGuyver »

Must... K e e p. . . P O S T I N G . . .

Come on Violent, I have my 2¢ riding on you! please come through for us in this time of need! Also, hehe TOPIC goes back to the top of the list! Image

You already do it, why not GET PAID for it? http://www.utopiad.com/member/getPaid?refId=265642 http://www.cashfiesta.com/php/join.php?ref=NeoGuyver http://secure.clickdough.com/servlets/cr/CRSignup.po?referral_id=NeoGuyver http://www.ignifuge.com/getpaid/join.php3?id=JBP648 http://www.refercenter.com/neoguyver
toadvenom

Post by toadvenom »

What will Violent do next?
A) Upload a file to Brent?
B) Reveal court docs?
C) Bore us with his prose?
D) Silent?

What's gonna be the happy ending to this saga?
steve

Post by steve »

Violent's real name is James Michener! LOL.
Just wanted to say I finally got to read through all the posts, and it was quite entertaining, especially John's shorts. I guess when you fart like John, you need reinforcments (just kidding, John). With Ultraband, we won't have to worry about the speeds anyway. Carry on, don't cap the thread! Image Image Image
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

Couldn't be james Michener.

He didn't spend a page and a half describing a doorknob.

Me, I'm not criticizing violent at all. I'm still hoping a test arrangement can be made. And for the record, lvslr does have that kind of access. I may have to go kick him in jealousy or something.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

------------------
"Yeah Baby, YEAH!!!"
spock

Post by spock »

Bouncer,

I am critizing violent. Sure, he wrote long posts, and I suppose that means he wouldn't waste his time writing long posts if he were lying... I disagree, you lie in that situation to get your name in the spotlight, doesn't matter if no one knows who you are, it matters that he sees the post he made explode out of control and that he has the attention he wanted.

As far as the technical end of the spectrum about uncapping. In my eyes, it's pretty much impossible, the ARP table at the head end (which I beleive controls the gateway) can only be entered by Admin with the proper access, it's kinda like a Router table, if it is changed it will screw alot of stuff up. Two, accessing the head end to change the ARP file is like trying to access a FTP with the wrong password, it WON'T let you in!! And the odds of him getting that info is like 1/10000... so you see that is my outlook.
John

Post by John »

lol@steve Image

----------------------------------------------------------

Violent: Get in touch with me and we will do the tests.

icq = 65731587

email = jstoltenborg@home.com

----------------------------------------------------------

------------------
Brent
SG VIP

Post by Brent »

Geez Violent that's what, 3 offers now from people? Me, John and someone else even offered to do the tests with you to see what ya got.

And I sent you an email last night too, sooooooooo what's up G?
dmsmed

Post by dmsmed »

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Sun Tzu 474 B.C.
dmsmed

Post by dmsmed »

"To subdue the enemies army without battle is the acme of skill."

Sun Tzu-474 B. C.
TheWave

Post by TheWave »

Brent, maybe they took him bak to jail. =)