Un-capping not illegal

Frequently asked questions, Classic threads, as well as interesting and informative topics from the SG Broadband Forums.
Brent
SG VIP

Post by Brent »

first of all to Boogers comment a.k.a Violent: I saw something from someone where an offer was made to send some files to someone to prove the speed ? Did I get that right ? Anyway I can see now why he did not do that. Look at the people out gunning for him on this. Do the cable companies pay you guys or something ? How could he trust anyone in the file transfer ? I mean if he did send a file then it is likely (judging from the atmosphere) that the person he was sending it to would get his IP address, contact his ISP and try to start something vengeful like claiming he was sending files un-solicited or something. It seems as though there are those types of people in the world. I get the impression from reading his stuff that he was at least intelligent to a point. I am sure he understood what he was doing but I also get the impression that he would have more than gladly shared the information in time as soon as all his legal problems were worked out.

I was the one who was gonna do the file transfer, as a an owner of website, a webmaster, a moderator and a generally good guy I Would Never give out your IP, or Domain name or anything that could incriminate you, nor would I call your ISP or raise some kind of ruccus, the only thing i would do is watch the speed of the transfer and report it back to here honestly so that I and others could see if you are really telling the truth, simple as that, and the offer is still open if you wanna try.

To SirZ: Brent - how the hell did you score a 10Mbit cap, and shame on you for being jealous at the OC3 guy.

I have Cable through AT&T@Home, the system I have in my area is still Proprietary, It's NOT DOCSIS Yet, therefore with my service I have a cap of 10Mbps down, that doesn't mean I always get that fast though what it means is I could transfer 10 things at a time of 100KB/sec each, it's the bandwith of 10Mbps I have, However if all conditions were perfect then Yes I could download a single file at 1.2MB/sec if all conditions were perfect, Personally I've downloaded sustained at 750KB/sec before, so I have plenty of speed to test Violents Upload speed. Of course though during peak times it's alot slower due to node congestion which I cannot avoid either.

To uniqueVisage: Hey, how do you people tell what number post you are?

Look up in your last post and see that little icon with a Face with a Question Mark beside it? Click that Icon Image

------------------
a.k.a Borg Drone
Owner/Webmaster
Core Meltdown www.coremeltdown.com

Forum: http://www.coremeltdown.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi

Out the 100TX, through the linksys router/switch, down the cable modem, over the Tap, off the bridge, past the node, straight up the gateway, past the head end office....nothing but Net

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited 07-22-2000).]
Booger

Post by Booger »

Bouncer:

I am not sure what you are talking about. Same IP ? I'm at san.rr.com, what are you talking about ?
Booger

Post by Booger »

Bouncer:

I am not sure what you are talking about. Same IP ? I'm at san.rr.com, what are you talking about ?
NeoGuyver

Post by NeoGuyver »

Hey, Violent, changing the name would not change your ip. But you should trust Brent to do what he says, he's very reputable Image
I did say I gave up hope on you, which is not to say I don't beleive you, but I jst don't care as much anymore. That does not mean that I don't think it's possible.

Anywho, I forgot what I was going to say, so I'll say it later I guess. Just show us something we can't deny and we will not be flaming you anymore. (most of us) will praise as a GOD. What more could you want?! Image

It's harmless, besides, though Brent did expose you as Booger, DID HE EXPOSE YOUR IP? That should count for something. Anyway, Email me, I won't ask for anything, not the logs or nothin'. I just want to get the straight scoop, you won't get anything guff from me or ANYONE else, and I'm not obligating you, just requesting...
My Email is mega_manx4@hotmail.com [account that I've had for 6 years and counting Image]

Ain't life Chocolaty? Maybe that explains why people with Acne look like Earth from Outer Space! (uh oh, I better stop watching Gundam Wing en Ingles, it's warping the BRAIN MUSCLE. yeah you heard me! MUSCLE!!)

---------------------------------------------
You already do it, why not GET PAID for it?
Http://www.refercentral.com/neoguyver
Brent
SG VIP

Post by Brent »

FYI it was Bouncer who discovered Booger = Violent Image

But my offer still stands to do the file transfer Violent, this will either prove or disprove your statement
clover

Post by clover »

If nothing else, we'll go close to the 400 mark, surely a landmark never to be broken.

clover

------------------
http://members.nettrash.com/clover252525@yahoo.com
kerplunk

Post by kerplunk »

Hi,

I was just wondering what happened to Violent. Like where is he now, why hasn't he posted in ages?
John

Post by John »

I am becoming tired and bored with this thread...

Detective Bouncer comes through again Image
denew007

Post by denew007 »

Biggest Post Ever?

------------------

http://grafixplanet.virtualave.net
John

Post by John »

Biggest post ever on Speedguide, but certainly not the biggest post for all UBB's.
SirZ

Post by SirZ »

Well well well,

Violent Bugger, whatever you are... you just keep busting yourself. Every mistake you make, you seem less smarter, your story less pausible.

I really wonder why would you be afraid of the moderators of this site for your file transfers. If you ever were "set-up" it is very easy for your sister to trace them to the physical person they are. No court or judge will rule that you violated your RR Deal by doing the test; they are much more likely to rule guilty to your initial indictment. So quit putting up the lame excuses and put up evidence. Failing that, I call on the site admin to set his firewall to block this recurring IP. Man, to think all the credit I gave you, and then you do something supremely stupid like logging in with the same IP. OF course this all is based on the fact that Brent's finding is accurate...which, come think of it, reinforces my earlier "Sherlock Holmes" evaluation : Brent IS Violent IS Bugger!!! Image

------------------
In America, first you get de suga, den you get de powah den you get de weemen! Homer Simpson Rocks!
SirZ

Post by SirZ »

Brent : HotDoggiddie doo!!!!!
Can I move in with you? Image

My @home rutinely ranges between 10 to 35 kbps (bytes, i Hate that confusing BIT business) and I am quite sure that my upload cap is just under 50 kbps (bytes again). It is rare when I get in the 100 range... and my all time max was 283 kbytes/s sustained downloading the Unreal Tournament Upgrade. Never seen anything like that again. So all you people that keep whining about "ONLY" having TX rates of 100-200 kbytes, FLAME YOU Image

PS. Do these Message icons have any meaning (aside the obvious ones like smiley and frownie, and winkie)

------------------
In America, first you get de suga, den you get de powah den you get de weemen! Homer Simpson Rocks!
fanta

Post by fanta »

The first couple hundred were good posts but it's now mostly just spam (as is this I guess *shrugs*)
NeoGuyver

Post by NeoGuyver »

ACK! I'm sorry for not giving the right due credit. It was BOUNCER who did expose Violent. Brent is still, however, trustworthy, if not more now, because he didn't even do that. I still think you should do the test if you can. Bouncer, don't get me wrong, you's tight too! Image

Anyway, I guess I should get two more pennies, then I wouldn't make so many mistakes Image

http://www.refercentral.com/neoguyver
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

Well now, isn't this neat.

The first post from Booger resolves to the exact same IP as violent. (I just triple checked.)

The last post, however, resolves to a different IP.

Which means the account is being used by two persons in different areas. I'll have to check and see what our rules are on sharing accounts...since there is no way in heck that southwest roadrunner is filtering through a singular address in another entire subdomain.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

------------------
"Yeah Baby, YEAH!!!"
uniqueVisage

Post by uniqueVisage »

Hi, Number 331 here!
uniqueVisage

Post by uniqueVisage »

Opps, I was going to write something else, but I press the enter key by mistake. Anyway, I got a question. If Violent is Booger and Booger is Violent. Then why doesn't Booger/Violent just say so. I think there is too much guessing games going on. I also think that Violent should be left alone. Think about how he'll go around telling all his friends come check out what I did on speednet, I created a thread and its reaching almost 400. Then again, if we leave him alone, look how stupid he'll look when he tells someone that he uncapped his modem, ppl will laugh at him; especially with no proof. If a guy who is smart enough to claim that he uncapped a modem then he would also be smart enough to know that doing a test with a moderator would benifit him or distroy his image. I believe you guys have already come to a conclution on that.

------------------
-This world may lack style I know,but each bud must blossom and grow
-Morrissey
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

philosophic view of this topic

1. Stupidity is the unknowness of consideration
2. (mechanical definition) Stupidity is the unknowness of Time, Place, Form & Event.
1: Truth is the exact consideration.
2: Truth is the exact Time, Place, Form & Event.

Thus we see that a failure to discover Truth brings about stupidity.

Thus we see that the discovery of Truth would bring about a full & total duplication of an event at which point it would cease to exist.

Thus we see that an ultimate truth would have no time, place, form or event.

Thus, then, we perceive that we can achieve a persistance only by masking a truth.

Lying is an alteration of time, place, event or form.

Lying becomes stupidity.

Anything which persists must avoid a total perfect duplication. Thus anything to persist must contain a lie.
------------------------------------------

This topic is persisting. It contains many lies. It will continue to persist so long as the lies are not discovered or the truth is not told.

It will persist so long as we are interested in it as well. Interest has been generated so far by injecting more lies throughout. So long as lies are promoted this thread will persist.

See yawl on page 34.....
wee96

Post by wee96 »

I'm seeing another interesting pattern that I'm curious about. It seems all the people that are sticking up for Violent/Booger, have only, at most, posted about 34 times. This almost leads me to believe these could either be friends of Violent in real life, or Violent creating several accounts. Since the two ip's didnt match with the last post, I would assume it is probably Violent teaming up with some of his friends. Just a thought.
pep

Post by pep »

Hey hey now this sounds interesting very interesting... Nice arguments by Violent.
Also i Have RR but i have a toshiba modem? I was wandering if you could send me the codes too seeing as the codes dont work on the hardware Image thanks

------------------
-pep-
pep

Post by pep »

lol i cant belive i replied with that after i finished reading all this lmfao omg... i belived it at first with all those big words but lol omg....i dunno heh bye
pelles

Post by pelles »

I don't know, the second Bouncer post persisted in using the Violent-trademarked space before the question mark.
NeoGuyver

Post by NeoGuyver »

I ASSURE YOU, the first time I've heard of Violent was on THIS forum, you can get me varified by a Moderator if you have to Image WNTCK = Walnut Creek, which is where the main server is in the city next to Martinez. Which is NOT in Luisiana.

I dunno, it just seems that I'm REALLY close to that mark where you posted I could be Violent, I only wish to clear MYSELF.

http://www.refercentral.com/NeoGuyver
chacmool

Post by chacmool »

kb = kilobars
clover

Post by clover »

I think that's a bit undeserving Toadvenom.

There is no proof the guy is a liar. He hasn't sent any logs to anyone, but that is his <b>choice</b>. Are you upset that he didn't share his secrets with you? If he did post his logs, would you still stand there and accuse him whilst all around you people were scrambling to uncap their modems? I think not.

You and Wee96 are getting paranoid. Get a life instead of going around accusing people. You might merit some respect that way.

clover
aKgLiQuiD

Post by aKgLiQuiD »

hmmmmm-
toadvenom

Post by toadvenom »

Clover,
The proof is in the pudding. I am not so gullible to believe someone's words. People will say anything. So far, all I've seen is a lot of talk and a bullsh!t screen shot that was demonstrated to be a blatant fake.

Now, do we need to state the obvious? If Violet, currently charading as Booger, really uncapped his modem and went to court, for his own integrity, wouldn't he produce court documents and/or upload a file to one of the moderators? I suppose you think he hasn't done that because we hurt his tender feelings? Give me a break. This whole nonsense has been a waste of everyone's time.

And personally, I don't give a sh!t about his secret logs, uncapping my modem, or your *****-ass idea of what I need to do to gain anyone's respect. The links were a sarcastic joke, sorry you couldn't get the humor.
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE! NOTICE IS GIVEN!

VIOLENT HAS NOT RESPONDED TO THIS THREAD SINCE JULY 13.

NO NEW INFORMATION HAS APPEARED SINCE THAT DATE CONFIRMING HIS CLAIM.

HE HAS NOT CONTACTED BRENT, MYSELF, OR ANY OF THE OTHER MODERATORS OR ADMINS TO SET UP A TEST OF HIS CLAIMED UPLOAD SPEED.

UNLESS I RECIEVE SOME OVERWHELMING PETITION NOT TO, OR OTHER SPECIFIC INFORMATION ON THIS CLAIM, I WILL CLOSE THIS THREAD AT 12:01 AM JULY 26, WEDNESDAY MORNING.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

------------------
"Yeah Baby, YEAH!!!"
clover

Post by clover »

Toadvenom, first of all, the proof is not always in the pudding. OJ is a great example of this. Innocent until proven guilty and sometimes even after that.

As for being a waste of everyone's time, each thread has a topic name, so that you can chose which thread to read or not. Judging by the 345+ replies, it has created more interest than any other thread so far on this board. Speaks for itself.

Lastly, I've never seen the humorous side in belittling anyone, everyone has a point of view be it right or wrong. Blatant sarcasm backed up by ***** words is one way to express an opinion, constructive criticism is another. To each his own, I suppose.

clover
kerplunk

Post by kerplunk »

Boo hoo.

I say close it now.

Overwhelming petition? Ya right...
kerplunk

Post by kerplunk »

Boo hoo.

I say close it now.

kerplunk

Post by kerplunk »

Boo hoo.

I say close it now.

chacmool

Post by chacmool »

#350...maybe
wee96

Post by wee96 »

Clover, I'll be nice about this, please dont accuse me or anyone else of not having a life, simply put because you do not know me. I actually have a great life, and am doing quite well for myself. Secondly, I am in no way asking or looking for your respect about anything, you are just a name my friend. I am not ON these boards for respect, respect is used in real life. I am on here to express my opinions and to share knowledge about broadband communications. Just had to let you know that, and wanted to be as nice as possible.
moses

Post by moses »

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since this thread has had any real discussion on uncapping, which is the elusive holy grail of Cable Modem folks.

Instead, we have been watching a lot of very smart people act otherwise.

Since there seems to be a lack of evidence that Violent has done what he claims, and this has simply fueled personal warfare among the members, I think pulling the plug will give everyone a day or two to cool off.

Declare a cease-fire and close the thread.If someone comes out of the holy cave with the uncapping logs... bring them on.
ispark

Post by ispark »

hmm, 400 maybe?

------------------
iSpark - Fired up! and ready to GO!
chacmool

Post by chacmool »

K = Abbreviation fo Kelvin.

However, could it also be an abbreviation for the Kendell effect...a spurious pattern or other distortion in a facsimile.

But then again, it might be an abbreviation for Kerr effect...an electro-optical effect in which certain transparent substances become double refracting when subjected to an electric field perpendicular to a beam of light.

¿I wonder if el Señor Violencia will ever return?
chacmool

Post by chacmool »

¿On to page ten...?
Just Mark

Post by Just Mark »

I just couldn't resist any long from contributing to this very intertaining dribble. Now I too can say I was a part of the longest post ever on SpeedGuide.net Image