Welcome to all the NEW folders and OLD folders returning to the fold

SG Distributed Computing Teams discussion, S.E.T.I., Folding@Home, as well as other types of cloud/distributed computing, AI, machine learning, cryptocurrency mining.
rickoic

Welcome to all the NEW folders and OLD folders returning to the fold

Post by rickoic »

Thank you for joining the Speedguide Team we welcome you with open arms.

That being said I would like to bring some of you up to speed.

The folding project is having growing pains. The number of folders has more than doubled during the past few weeks and the number of old servers just can't keep up with the pace. New servers are being added but it takes a little time. I just checked and Temple looks like they almost have 2 new servers ready to come on line which will help tremendously.

Some Cloud companies started a bunch (6,000+) of their GPU's to the project and no one saw what that would do to the supply of work units. Grad students at each university pick what project they are going to study and build the work units that will help them study that particular desease. (sp) They then have to supply a large number of these work units to a server designed to handle the project. In the past as little as 10,000 work units would last more than a day, now a server can dish out that many in around an hour, so they were caught flat footed and the servers ran out of work units to pass out, hince the error message "No WUs available for this configuration" error you get.

Please be patient with them as they are working as hard as they can to catch up.

Just think what their server must handle. Fast CPU to handle massive I/O functions. Massive storage to handle the massive amounts of data coming back (100+ TB SSDs. Not to mention the large amount of RAM needed for all this. If you've priced something like that you know its well beyond what most people use in their homes and even their offices.

Anyway welcome to the Speedguide Team 15 folding and may you all still be around after we DEFEAT the Coronavirus problem.

Rich
Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hello Rick, thank you so much for the update, hope you are doing well. Hopefully Folding will help researcher to find some antivirals for COVID-19.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
rickoic

Post by rickoic »

Doing alright. Suspect my wife and I may have had a mild case of the virus a couple of weeks ago. Sore throat, possibly a very low grade fever, and low energy and tightnexx of muscles. Lasted about a week apiece and now we are alright again. Never bad enough for us to go to see a doctor so may have just been a mild case of the flu.

Otherwise just waiting for the folding to pick back up. Running about 1/3 - 1/2 normal right now and that's an improvement over last week.
Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

My wife had the flu two weeks ago, the doc said it was influenza type A, I had some mild/brief cold like 10 days ago as well, never worried about it much. Most current cases have nothing to do with coronavirus afaik. However, this is bound to change in the coming weeks as it continues to ramp up in our neck of the woods. Hopefully all this "social distancing" will slow it down enough for people to prepare and scientists to come up with improved ways to treat it. World economy will be messed up the first half of the year as well.
BaLa
SG VIP

Post by BaLa »

Setup a couple PCs my Laptop and a Mac with F@H.

Output is not great though. Guess with this whole GFX Card thing..none of those computers have a dedicated card...
BaLa
SG VIP

Post by BaLa »

Not much activity in this forum/thread.

Anyway bought a house moved from the Apt.
Got my Desktops back up and running again.
Took a bit also because my HP doesn't like my SSD.