Two things; 1-Drop of production 2-My thoughts on future of FAH

SG Distributed Computing Teams discussion, S.E.T.I., Folding@Home, as well as other types of cloud/distributed computing, AI, machine learning, cryptocurrency mining.
rickoic

Two things; 1-Drop of production 2-My thoughts on future of FAH

Post by rickoic »

1. Leaving tonight for extended stay with my mother. Turns 92 Thursday and took a bad fall last Friday. So need to be with her for awhile.

2. Anyone folding BigAdv work units needs to be aware that come April the minimum core requirement changes to 24 cores.
Also on January 31, 2015 the BigAdv program is scheduled to come to an end.

What the future of machines with many cores is has not been announced as yet. But anyone thinking of upgrading or purchasing a new pc for folding needs to be aware that it appears that the future of fah is going to be GPU's.
So in my estimation the way to go is with a motherboard that will handle 2, 3 or even 4 graphics cards which will require a bigger power supply than normal.

Hope to be back folding soon.

Rick
Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Thanks for the info, be safe, and best wishes to your mother.
downhill

Post by downhill »

After years I just installed fah to see how I'd do. Man o man.... yeah my GPU is doing a lot of the load. I have an EVGA 980 TI and it's fans are spinning like crazy. If I continue this I'm going water cooled to drop the noise down.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

To be honest, I didn't even realize that FAH was still still a thing. I don't think I've seen anything regarding distributed computing mentioned on the Net or News in years.
downhill

Post by downhill »

Easto wrote:To be honest, I didn't even realize that FAH was still still a thing. I don't think I've seen anything regarding distributed computing mentioned on the Net or News in years.
From their site there are some very interesting articles. I know the future of some things like cancer are probably tied to immunology therapy and now there are indications that ALS might in part be caused by Periodontitis and there is research to fine a vaccine for it. Amazing huh? I have a niece who's been fighting brain cancer for 6 years now. She's been through hell and now.. it seems that the original one isn't growing but she now has a new one.

So I feel kinda helpless and thought hey.. fold.

I send my sister any new information I find and anymore there is a ton of it for all kinds of aliments.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

I'm still Folding....while my numbers aren't nearly what they used to be, I'm still Folding on 2x rigs at the office.
Cancer has hit too much of my family for me not to want to contribute something.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

decided to run this on my 1080ti at work. we'll see how it goes. numbers seem a bit high. estimating 449479 Points per day
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

well, I moved up two spots on our team since i started with my 1080 ti last week lol
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Nice... Hardware has changed a bit in the past few years, hehe.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

Philip wrote:Nice... Hardware has changed a bit in the past few years, hehe.
right, maybe some day ill move my 12 crypto 1080ti's to FAH and see what happens for a couple days
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

On that note, what are you mining these days? I switched my 1070 GPUs from ETH to Ravencoin at some point, not really sure whether to overclock core clock or RAM with it.
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

Philip wrote:On that note, what are you mining these days? I switched my 1070 GPUs from ETH to Ravencoin at some point, not really sure whether to overclock core clock or RAM with it.
BTG on the GPU's (I dont pay electric) and XMR on the CPU for the rigs. I have a lot of Ravencoin in holding along with ETH. I have no gameplan on when to sell haha. I cashed in a ton of ZEC 2 years ago to cover the costs of the hardware before the assics came out and destroyed ZEC. Using HiveOS to manage them.

have you looked into the ohgodanethlargmentpill for the gtx? I'm not sure if it works on the 1070's but it helped with my ti's when I was running ZEC and currently with BTG. Also experiment with different mining software. I switched to miniZ from EWBF and got a 250mh/s boost for the same power use. I dont over clock at all as I want them to remain under 65C at all times. Fans are auto adjusted based on temp. I also mine directly to my own wallets on a VM that I connect once a month to the internet. Can never be too safe.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Didn't know about "ohgodaneth...", thanks for the pointer. Seems to only work with GDDR5, not sure about 1070s.

As to what to mine, https://whattomine.com/ says Ravencoin should be more profitable for you. I use MPH (MiningPoolHub) and it can auto-convert with low fees to the crypto you choose, I usually just let it convert to LTC or ETH and transfer to another wallet periodically when it reaches ~$20 worth of crypto.

Your machine must be connected to the internet to receive work units periodically from the pool.
๑۩۞۩๑
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

Philip wrote:Didn't know about "ohgodaneth...", thanks for the pointer. Seems to only work with GDDR5, not sure about 1070s.

As to what to mine, https://whattomine.com/ says Ravencoin should be more profitable for you. I use MPH (MiningPoolHub) and it can auto-convert with low fees to the crypto you choose, I usually just let it convert to LTC or ETH and transfer to another wallet periodically when it reaches ~$20 worth of crypto.

Your machine must be connected to the internet to receive work units periodically from the pool.
the miners are always online. Its the wallets in the VM I keep offline. as for mining profitability. I did that for a while. I used auto converting pools and software that switched coins and autoconversions including hub as you mentioned. got bored of tracking it all. now I just blindly mine and every couple months check the price of a coin. its all profit at this point. 0 overhead now. so not as worried about it as I used to be.
samuelddarden

Post by samuelddarden »

This blog has given me a lot of info that I will well.