Anyone used a 8800 GT?

SG Distributed Computing Teams discussion, S.E.T.I., Folding@Home, as well as other types of cloud/distributed computing, AI, machine learning, cryptocurrency mining.
Humboldt

Anyone used a 8800 GT?

Post by Humboldt »

Friend just gave me a pair of them, w/ bridge.

Thinking of getting a molex>PCIE adapter and adding one to my f@h rig next to my GTX 460.

Should add about 4k per day.

Anyone used one of these to fold with?

Not sure if it's worth the electricity but figure it's worth a try.

Thanks
rickoic

Post by rickoic »

Humboldt wrote:Friend just gave me a pair of them, w/ bridge.

Thinking of getting a molex>PCIE adapter and adding one to my f@h rig next to my GTX 460.

Should add about 4k per day.

Anyone used one of these to fold with?

Not sure if it's worth the electricity but figure it's worth a try.

Thanks
Probably will not work. Reason is that the 8800 is a non-Fermi and the GTX 460 is Fermi. Don't think they play nice together especially when folding.
But as you say it's worth a try. I still have 1 or 2 8800's lying around that for the cost of shipping I'd send to someone. Still in box I received in so should still work but not guaranteed.

Rick
Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

rickoic wrote:Probably will not work. Reason is that the 8800 is a non-Fermi and the GTX 460 is Fermi. Don't think they play nice together especially when folding.
But as you say it's worth a try. I still have 1 or 2 8800's lying around that for the cost of shipping I'd send to someone. Still in box I received in so should still work but not guaranteed.

Rick
Hi Rickoic :)
No luck so far. When I add the 8800 the 460 stops folding, even before I add the 8800 the the f@h client.
If I add the 800 to the client it shows up fine but neither of the 2 show any progress at all.
Trying to figure out if changing the slots around with the gpu-index might help at all.
Mark

Post by Mark »

been a long time since i was folding, but couldn't ya set them up with separate instances of folding clients ?
rickoic

Post by rickoic »

Mark wrote:been a long time since i was folding, but couldn't ya set them up with separate instances of folding clients ?
It's probably still possible if a old, old client were used, but not sure any work units are available for some of the older clients.

Newest FAH Control package v7.x.x does all the assigning and everything almost automatically anymore with very little if any input (other than user id and team number).

Come on back Mark, still a pretty good team going.

Rick
Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

rickoic wrote:It's probably still possible if a old, old client were used, but not sure any work units are available for some of the older clients.

Newest FAH Control package v7.x.x does all the assigning and everything almost automatically anymore with very little if any input (other than user id and team number).

Come on back Mark, still a pretty good team going.

Rick
From what I've read you can change the slot index manually in the config.xml file.

Any tips for installing different drivers for the 2 Nvidia cards? Everything I see is just in .exe format, and when you install it it installs to both video cards.

Thanks
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Got them going, only took 5 days :D

f@h 7.3.6

Ended up having to adjust the config.xml file manually to set the gpu slots, and open-cl and cuda-indexes.

More trial and error than anything, but working fine.