We seem to lose wireless connectivity

Networking, Wireless Routers (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax WiFi), NAT, LAN configuration, equipment, cabling, hubs, switches, and general network discussion
Easto
SG Elite

We seem to lose wireless connectivity

Post by Easto »

Lately, more often than I'd like I seem to be losing connectivity from our router. Not for long, maybe 5-10-15 minutes at a time. All indications i.e. router and modem lights all show we have connectivity but I'll lose it on my phone (it will revert to 5G) and my hardwired PC loses it too. Where or how do I start to trace this down? Unfortunately, up until now my router pwd was in the cloud so I wasn't able to get into it's GUI. I have it written down now and want to take a look at it next time this happens.
Philip
SG VIP

Re: We seem to lose wireless connectivity

Post by Philip »

If both the modem and Wi-Fi router show internet connectivity, that may indicate that the router itself locked up, or some service in it crashed. Do the Wi-Fi leds show activity?

First thing to do would be to see if you can login to the router, especially if you have a wired connection to it. If not, it may indicate that the router has locked up.
I would try to update firmware, some bug fixes over time may help.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Update: I cannot log into router GUI when experiencing these dropouts. Usually turning the router off/on fixes the problem. I am good with current firmware. I think I'll copy the configuration file and then reset the router, load current firmware etc etc.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Seems like it's locking up if you can't login to the GUI. You could try looking in the log file for any clues what may be causing it.. Also, there was some glitch that Asus admitted around May of this year:
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/23/05/2 ... ing-glitch
Asus said it was the result of "an error in the configuration of our server settings file." After fixing the glitch, most users needed to only reboot their devices. In the event that didn't fix the problem, the company's support team advised users to save their current configuration settings and perform a factory reset.

Asus still hasn't provided details about the configuration error. Various users have offered explanations online that appear to be correct. "On the 16th, Asus pushed a corrupted definition file for ASD, a built-in security daemon present in a wide range of their routers," one person wrote. "As routers automatically updated and fetched the corrupted definition file, they started running out of filesystem space and memory and crashing."
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I'm no expert but I did look at a couple of the logs. I was actually sitting at my computer so I knew exactly what the time stamp should be but I didn't see anything that would seem to be weird. But as I said, I'm no expert. I'm going to try the reset and reinstall the config file. I'll keep you posted.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Coming to think of it, I've had my Asus RT-AX86S lockup a couple of times in the past year, haven't paid much attention to it though. I upgraded firmware (auto-update is turned off), and it hasn't happened in the past 3-4 months.

If upgrading firmware, resetting and reconfiguring doesn't work, next step would be to start turning off unnecessary services to find the culprit I suppose. Hopefully not though, random/intermittent rare lockups are kind of hard to troubleshoot.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I did the whole restore to default, reloaded my config file and confirmed firmware was up to date. For a while yesterday I was feeling pretty good about myself because there were no other glitches all day. Then this morning upon getting up Mrs. Easto yells out from the other room "No Internet?", D'oh! Fortunately, a quick on/off of the power switch and we're back in business.

This just came out of the blue. I had not been messing with the Router or any other settings for probably a year. So guessing where this is coming from, I don't know. TBH if this keeps up I may just get a new router. It's an RT-AC3200. I like Asus and I'm familiar with their GUI so I guess if I can keep this running somewhat consistently I'll be shopping for a new router after the holidays (maybe sooner).

Before that, I'm open to all suggestions as to what to be looking for as far as what might be causing these glitches. Like Philip said, I can see why they would be hard to find since they're so random and seem to fix themselves on a reboot.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Just a couple of pointers.

First, I would get Wi-Fi 6 (or even Wi-Fi 6E for busy environments).

Best Buy has this deal they give you 15% off coupon good for any new router/networking equipment when you bring them your old one (you just go to the service desk, they take your old router/AP/switch/whatever and give you a 15% off coupon good for 6-12 months). Last time my router died, I just brought them an old one and got a good new model, as I didn't want to wait for an online order.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/recycling/ ... 7300657381

With that coupon, you could get an Asus AX5700 (RT-AX86U) if you want to stay with the same brand for under $200. You can set your old router as a second mesh node if you keep it and try if it works as an AP, would just have to give them some other hardware for the coupon though.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I've read some good reviews on the TP-Link Archer AXE7800 Tri-Band 6E. Any opinions? I'm not stuck on Asus. Just want a good solid router that's configurable.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

TP-Link is a solid company. They had some issues for me over 10 years ago, but their current routers get good reviews. I installed a TP-Link Deco Wi-Fi 6E mesh recently and it went smoothly, had to install the app I think though. Costco had some good deals on TP-Link mesh systems. I haven't played with the Archer AXE7800, but it gets great reviews and seems very good for the price, especially since you're getting the Wi_Fi 6E 6GHz channels. The only issue with that is I haven't seen any 6GHz clients yet, the mesh system could use the 6GHz for backhaul between nodes at least.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

That TP-Link ARcher AXE 7800 is only $199 at Best Buy and they have them in stock. Costco wants $279 for the same thing. None of my clients are 6ghz yet. Looks like I might be visiting BB soon.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

You can return any old switch/router/access point/dsl or cable modem, etc. for a 15% off coupon. Ask kids for old equipment to recycle, lol.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I've got the new router working but I'm a little concerned. This thing has no where near the granularity of the ASUS router. The management GUI feels like it was made for a child. I've been looking over and over the thing and it appears that some of the expected security features are not available unless you want to download their app and pay EXTRA for INtrusion Prevention System, Malicious Content filter and a couple of other things. They call their security HomeShield. The usage reports suck.. With the Asus router you could drill down and get into the weeds. This thing you get about 3 options and that's it.

The Asus had Trend Micro security that came along with it. Do I really need this HomeShield or is it just another add on like the Asus Trend Micro?
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

My guess is it's some type of anti-virus and parental controls, similar to the Trend Micro offering. I don't use those.

You're right that the TP-Link interface is a much dumbed down version of all the Asus features you're used to, but, ask yourself how many times do you actually go and change those settings anymore.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

You're right. I guess I just felt secure knowing I could change something if I wanted to, LOL. I just wasn't sure about the Anti-Virus stuff. I guess I just assumed that comes with everything. I'll be ok :-).
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

You cannot drill down and see an individual devices usage. You can see it's up/down speeds but that's it. I don't think you can do that without paying for their subscription service in order to set and set QoS settings. My ASUS would show me websites accessed by device including the total usage for that device. I know these are things that aren't really that important to me and probably make no difference whether I know them or not, but I liked being able to see what the toddler might be watching etc. I could tell what time the grandkids went to bed because the usage would drop off.

I've got this up and running and it sends out a really nice strong signal. It's hitting corners of the house that really gave us trouble before. But it sure is dumbed down as far as the GUI and stats that you get. I would not buy it again for those reasons alone.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

This is the new trend in everything I guess, dumb it down to the point where a grandma with a cell phone and the attention span of a millennial can deploy it in less than 5 minutes (sorry about all the stereotyping, lol).
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I think you're absolutely right. Everyone wants all the functionality they can get without having to bother with any of the details. I can't tell you how many times I've been talking with a friend and I'll mention some sort of security issue or feature and they look at me with a puzzled look like "That's a thing?". Heck, my wife doesn't even know what the update alerts are on her iPad. We've actually given laptops to some of the grandkids in the past. I will ask them if they're keeping up with the OS updates and stuff like that and either they or there parents will say they're taking care of that. Then when I get on the laptop and log on, it's so messed up that I actually feel queasy just holding it, LOL.

Whenever there's an option for more control and granularity in anything computer related... I'll opt for that version. I may never use it and only slightly understand what it does... but I want the ability to access it if needed.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I am the same way, I like to be able to set everything to my liking, I am a bit of OCD I suppose (another recent trend to label everyone's "disorder", heh).

Yesterday my daughter turned off the TV, but left the HTPC running some type of show she was watching in a web browser, so it went on for 12+ hours mooching from the internet connection, she didn't even know/care :/