My Rack

Networking, Wireless Routers (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax WiFi), NAT, LAN configuration, equipment, cabling, hubs, switches, and general network discussion
BaLa
SG VIP

My Rack

Post by BaLa »

Seems like not much going on in here.

Figured I share my little network setup.
Not in the picture my Asus RT-AX82U on top of the cabinet (used as AP for wifi only)
The Mikrotik is quite a bit more advanced than I am :rotfl: . morbidpete helped me a few times with it already.

Also I have 2 Ethernet Cables running to the other side of the room/office. 1 for the Modem and the other to an ETH Switch for my 2 Desktop PCs.
Yeah I know the Shelf isn't straight...pain in the butt to set up to begin with.
Wires from the PDU are a bit messy.

The Switch is a Cisco Catalyst 3750 24 port.
Router is Mikrotik RB3011
NAS Synology DS220+
UPS is CyberPower CP1000 AVRLCD

The attachment imagy-image.jpg is no longer available
Planning on moving in 3-5 years hopefully maybe have a house built.
Going to have a proper network setup wired for Ethernet with 2 drops in each room at least.
Not a big fan of Wifi..
I actually think anything stationary should not be using Wifi..TVs and so on.
We have a decent Yamaha Soundbar but the Wifi is always acting up..It could be wired but not gonna bother.
Attachments
imagy-image.jpg
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Nice setup! A bit of an overkill for just a couple of ethernet runs, heh, you could likely achieve the same without the Cisco switch and just the ports on the Mikrotik.

I have AT&T fiber coming into the house, running Cat5E cable to an upstairs closet, where there is a network panel with Coax, POTs and Cat5E running to the bedrooms and the family room. I keep an Asus RT-AX86S Wi-Fi router and a VoIP box in that closet, network cables to my office and downstairs to the TV/Ent center.
I have two small Netgear GS108 switches, one 8-port in my office, and one (GS105?) downstairs behind the TV (HTPC and TV connected there, some old Playstation). I have a PC running Linux as a NAS in my office, my main PC, networked printer/scanner, etc.
I mainly use Wi-Fi for the bedrooms though, it is much more convenient for laptops and mobile devices. I also use Wi-Fi for IoT devices like cameras, doorbell, sprinkler controller, AC thermostats, Google Home, smart light switches. I use ethernet for the TV, NAS, and my desktop/office shtuff.

The setup works well for me and is easy to maintain. Maybe I would update the Wi-Fi to a 6E mesh system next time, with a wired backhaul, but for the time being one Wi-Fi router seems to work just fine. Wi-Fi has come a long way, the newer AX devices are quite capable of serving many clients at good speeds without much interference.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
BaLa
SG VIP

Post by BaLa »

Philip wrote:Nice setup! A bit of an overkill for just a couple of ethernet runs, heh, you could likely achieve the same without the Cisco switch and just the ports on the Mikrotik.

I have AT&T fiber coming into the house, running Cat5E cable to an upstairs closet, where there is a network panel with Coax, POTs and Cat5E running to the bedrooms and the family room. I keep an Asus RT-AX86S Wi-Fi router and a VoIP box in that closet, network cables to my office and downstairs to the TV/Ent center.
I have two small Netgear GS108 switches, one 8-port in my office, and one (GS105?) downstairs behind the TV (HTPC and TV connected there, some old Playstation). I have a PC running Linux as a NAS in my office, my main PC, networked printer/scanner, etc.
I mainly use Wi-Fi for the bedrooms though, it is much more convenient for laptops and mobile devices. I also use Wi-Fi for IoT devices like cameras, doorbell, sprinkler controller, AC thermostats, Google Home, smart light switches. I use ethernet for the TV, NAS, and my desktop/office shtuff.

The setup works well for me and is easy to maintain. Maybe I would update the Wi-Fi to a 6E mesh system next time, with a wired backhaul, but for the time being one Wi-Fi router seems to work just fine. Wi-Fi has come a long way, the newer AX devices are quite capable of serving many clients at good speeds without much interference.
Yeah it may be a bit overkill.
But honestly the Cisco Switch was $65 on Fleabay.

1 item
$59.85
Shipping Free
Tax $4.94
Order total $64.79

Prolly cheaper than most other 16 port managed and even some unmanaged switches.
I suppose I don't need a managed switch or 16 ports.
I guess with the few devices I have it would have been fine to just use the Mikrotik.

But that's no fun.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Yeah, you're right :)
The Cisco sounds like a steal for that amount.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑