behind a router

Networking, Wireless Routers (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax WiFi), NAT, LAN configuration, equipment, cabling, hubs, switches, and general network discussion
dn56u

behind a router

Post by dn56u »

I am using a GliNet travel router in a hotel. It picks up the hotel wifi and my laptop is connected to the GliNet by ethernet cable.
Can someone comment on why this is more secure than a straight link to the hotel wifi...elaborate if you like.. the more info the better
nowadays....
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

A NAT router creates a link between two separate networks that are isolated from each other (if used in "router" mode, not as a "wireless client"). The idea is that every device on your local network is isolated from the outside "unsecure" network with other wireless clients. A malicious device would only be able to reach the router, and not your internal network. This only works if your router creates a separate network, not necessarily if set in "wireless client" mode where it merely acts as a wireless adapter for your laptop.
dn56u

Post by dn56u »

that Gli Net continues to mis fire about 60% of the time... it just works on a few hotel systems and not on most. I am tired of another junk product.
What travel router will easily create a separate network and is Reliable....unlike my Gli AR300M....?
and make it easy to set up ..?
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Instead of using a travel router, I'd just use the laptop WiFi, and a VPN service. Windows already has software firewall, HTTPS traffic is secure, and a VPN will encrypt all traffic to avoid man-in-the-middle attacks. There are some good ones out there, like IPVanish, or maybe Namecheap FastVPN. They cost like $2-4/month.

I say that because using travel routers as a wireless client (radio used to connect to the Internet and laptop connected via ethernet) does not add much in terms of security to your connection.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
dn56u

Post by dn56u »

ok thanks