Laptop access Nokia AirScale baseband has ip address range limit

Networking, Wireless Routers (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax WiFi), NAT, LAN configuration, equipment, cabling, hubs, switches, and general network discussion
zillah

Laptop access Nokia AirScale baseband has ip address range limit

Post by zillah »

Dear folk

Using a laptop to access Nokia AirScale baseband we normally assign 192.168.255.130/24 and no issue for accessing web interface of the device

When I assigned my laptop ip address 192.168.22.10/24 access won’t be granted to access the web interface

Connected is direct from the laptop Ethernet to local management port (LMP port) of the Airscale ,,,,no gateway ip ddress required and no dhcp involvement

https://imgur.com/a/hTMnYf3

In general how a hardware can control that ?

Thx
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

The subnet mask controls the scope of the network. A /24 network (255.255.255.0 subnet mask) allows for changing only the last octet of IPs to be in the same network. To allow the third octet to be changed, you'd need a /16 subnet (255.255.0.0 subnet mask).

See the table in this article: https://www.speedguide.net/articles/sub ... asses-1883

So, in essence, there can be 255 separate /24 networks (255 IPs each) in a /16 network (65535 IPs)

I hope this helps.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
zillah

Post by zillah »

When I assigned my laptop ip address 192.168.22.10/24
Sorry Philip this is a typo meant to be 192.168.255.10
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Ah ok :)

Some type of access control then.. There are many possible causes.

1) Is it possible that its' IP is different/has been changed? If it has a DHCP server built-in, you can try to connect with "obtain IP automatically".
2) Is it possible that the configuration only allows certain IPs to connect to the admin interface?
3) Are you connecting to the proper port? I am not familiar with this particular device, but usually they only allow access on certain interfaces.
4) The admin service may have simply locked, I would power-cycle it if possible.
zillah

Post by zillah »

Thx Philip
3) Are you connecting to the proper port? I am not familiar with this particular device, but usually they only allow access on certain interfaces.
4) The admin service may have simply locked, I would power-cycle it if possible.
Those are not applicable as I can access the device but only with specific IPs
Is it possible that the configuration only allows certain IPs to connect to the admin interface?
May be
If it has a DHCP server built-in, you can try to connect with "obtain IP automatically".
I guess no but I will double check that