How far can i run Cat6 or better cable to router???

Networking, Wireless Routers (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax WiFi), NAT, LAN configuration, equipment, cabling, hubs, switches, and general network discussion
wiredrite

How far can i run Cat6 or better cable to router???

Post by wiredrite »

I have mediacom internet. I would like to run some Cat 6 or better (Game changer) cable to my shop about 600ft back. Then plug in and use a router for internet out there. Is this possible? Mediacom wants to charge me $7500 to run a main line to my shop.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

You can't really run Cat6 copper over 300 feet without some kind of repeater/switch/device that is powered, otherwise resistance on the line will prevent signal from getting through.

The best thing you can do is run fiber, with a couple of fiber switches at the ends.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
wiredrite

Thank you

Post by wiredrite »

Philip wrote:You can't really run Cat6 copper over 300 feet without some kind of repeater/switch/device that is powered, otherwise resistance on the line will prevent signal from getting through.

The best thing you can do is run fiber, with a couple of fiber switches at the ends.
Thank you...That's what I was figuring. But read a lot of reviews on Gamechanger cable. Wasn't sure if it was good enough.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Longer copper cables will introduce more signal loss and speed will degrade. You can push them a bit over 100m, but 600' is just too far for copper, it is prone to interference and signal loss. I would definitely consider alternatives, like fiber or p2p wireless.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑