Can't access router remotely via ddns link

Networking, Wireless Routers (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax WiFi), NAT, LAN configuration, equipment, cabling, hubs, switches, and general network discussion
zillah

Can't access router remotely via ddns link

Post by zillah »

showthread.php?291910-ASUS-Router-Merli ... ip-address

Hi

I had DDNS setup on my ASUS RTAC5300 Merlin firmware as per attached snapshots

My DDNS from no-ip is linked to the CGNAT ip address not public ip address

https://imgur.com/a/sqUEXG3

Does that mean I won't be able to use DDNS ? Or is there a work around ?

Thx
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

That's a very good question, I am not really sure how to set DDNS behind a reserved IP range. Theoretically you are on a private network, and any ddns redirects would be to the public IP of your ISP, that IP/device/node would have to then translate packets and forward traffic to your private/reserved IP.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
zillah

Post by zillah »

Thx Philip
You guess it might not be doable ?
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I am not sure, it would have to be supported by your ddns service. The client (your private/reserved IP) can still make a connection out (port triggering) in order to open incoming ports to that address, so the client software on your end would have to ping out to the ddns provider to open the ports. It is just more complex proposition than with regular public IP addresses, I don't know what/if ddns services support that.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
zillah

Post by zillah »

Noted
Thx Philip