Access point

Networking, Wireless Routers (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax WiFi), NAT, LAN configuration, equipment, cabling, hubs, switches, and general network discussion
Piscator

Access point

Post by Piscator »

Hi Everyone,

I hope you guys can help as I'm having problems?!
I've been having lots of issues with drops-outs and speed issues on my FTTC so to start with I thought I'd replace my rather ageing Billion 7800n with a TP-Link c4000 router and It turns out that wasn't problem. I then thought I'd replace the BT Openreach modem so I've purchase a Netgear DSL-N16 modem router.

At the moment I'm only using the Netgear DSL-N16 and although its only been a couple of days its so far so good!

So this now leads to a few questions.
How do I connect the TP-Link C4000 to the DSL-N16 and should this be connected as an access point/range extender?

I know very little about this kind of thing so any replies in laymen's terms would be appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

The best, most common way to connect a second router is as a wireless access point. To do this, you will have to only use its' LAN ports (both to the main router and maybe client devices, if needed). Do not use its WAN/Internet port.

You will have to turn off "DHCP server" and any other routing features on that TP-link too.
It is a good idea to set it to a static IP address, outside of the DHCP range of the main router.

Here is a step-by-step article on how to do it all: https://www.speedguide.net/articles/how ... point-2556

Feel free to ask here if any specific questions/issues come up.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Piscator

Post by Piscator »

Philip wrote:The best, most common way to connect a second router is as a wireless access point. To do this, you will have to only use its' LAN ports (both to the main router and maybe client devices, if needed). Do not use its WAN/Internet port.

You will have to turn off "DHCP server" and any other routing features on that TP-link too.
It is a good idea to set it to a static IP address, outside of the DHCP range of the main router.

Here is a step-by-step article on how to do it all: https://www.speedguide.net/articles/how ... point-2556

Feel free to ask here if any specific questions/issues come up.
Thank you Philip that’s really helpful.