Wifi 6 worth the upgrade?

Networking, Wireless Routers (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax WiFi), NAT, LAN configuration, equipment, cabling, hubs, switches, and general network discussion
BaLa
SG VIP

Wifi 6 worth the upgrade?

Post by BaLa »

Considering upgrading our TP Link AC Router to a Wifi6 router
We're currently using
TP-LINK AC1750/Archer C7
I guess I'm mostly happy with the performance.
It's in the Office on top of the Closet. Seems to work good in every room in the House.

Supposedly the Newer Samsung Notes Support it.
My Wife has a Note 10
And I have 20 Ultra

The Desktops and Printer we have a Hardwired via a Gig Switch

We have a few other wireless devices nothing too serious.
Yamaha Alexa Sound bar
Couple TVs
Google Home Mini
Older Galaxy Tab.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

If your current ac router is working fine and meeting your bandwidth requirements, there is no need to upgrade to WiFi 6. If you want to upgrade, I'd still wait for WiFi 6E, which adds 6GHz spectrum with many more uncongested channels.

I am happy with my WiFi 5 setup for phones, laptops and a couple of PCs throughout the house, it's perfectly fine as far as speeds go. I do have gigabit Ethernet for my office PC, printer, NAS and TV.

Google Home Mini and most IoT devices only use the 2.4 GHz spectrum anyway.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
BaLa
SG VIP

Post by BaLa »

Philip wrote:If your current ac router is working fine and meeting your bandwidth requirements, there is no need to upgrade to WiFi 6. If you want to upgrade, I'd still wait for WiFi 6E, which adds 6GHz spectrum with many more uncongested channels.

I am happy with my WiFi 5 setup for phones, laptops and a couple of PCs throughout the house, it's perfectly fine as far as speeds go. I do have gigabit Ethernet for my office PC, printer, NAS and TV.

Google Home Mini and most IoT devices only use the 2.4 GHz spectrum anyway.
Thanks.

I didn't know about 6e.
I will wait for that.

Oh and I knew the Phones are the only thing that would potentially benefit from the upgraded router.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Yeah, only some clients would support WiFi 6, and phones don't usually need the extra bandwidth, even if you are streaming UHD videos.
jimkirk363

Post by jimkirk363 »

I would say its worth the upgrade only if ur in the market for a new Router.

I had a Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 and it was the worst router ever and it conked out. I now have a TP Link AX6000 and its so much better than the Netgear, its even increased the overall wireless by around 15%.

i know to begin with its expensive but then it pays for itself. I get full speed on my 500mb wired connection and around 310mb 4 floors down and in the garden over wireless.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hi Jim,
Thanks for sharing your experience and welcome to SG.

Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) is definitely better, and that TPLink has more bandwidth in both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands. Still the R8000 is not that old, it should've had decent performance as well.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑