strange ms spikes when sharing connection, help needed

Networking, Wireless Routers (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax WiFi), NAT, LAN configuration, equipment, cabling, hubs, switches, and general network discussion
zachp

strange ms spikes when sharing connection, help needed

Post by zachp »

Evening all! Excuse me as I'm completely new here, but I've been having serious issues with a shared connection and was directed here for troubleshooting advice.

I have a 6mbps connection with a fairly normal ping for my wired DSL connection (42 ms) shared between me and my roommate, but a strange and inexplicable issue with our connection seems to constantly occur. I have searched throughout the internet for a solution, but nothing has worked yet.

Whenever she opens a website or browses the internet in general, each page she opens causes a brief but immense spike in my own ms. This doesn't go both ways, either; it only seems to be my connection that is affected. Even limiting her connection speed didn't work as it still causes the same "hiccups" in connection. We've tried changing modems, so it's clearly something else. I'm fairly sure this isn't normal as I've never heard of a problem like this in the past with sharing connections.

Are there any solutions to this? Although admittedly I'm not the best at technical and networking jargon, I will try my best to provide any info needed. Thank you!