tricky network setup, what will work?

Networking, Wireless Routers (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax WiFi), NAT, LAN configuration, equipment, cabling, hubs, switches, and general network discussion
Mohan80

tricky network setup, what will work?

Post by Mohan80 »

hello all, i'm new here, so i hope i'm in the right spot. i've been googleing for days about my problem, but can't really find good relevant answers. i'm quite a noob in networking though, so i hope you guys can give me some good tips.

my setup:
- fibreoptic internet, main router ("telsey") has wireless and 1 cable exit, and very limited setting configurations.
- sharing the internet conn. with my rental in the basement, this appartment has to be locked out from my "home network"
- "home network" consists of stationary "server", cabled, my laptop on docking station, cabled, another laptop on wireless, and ps3 on wireless (cable will come)
- atm main router connects to "netgear prosafe GS105E" switch, splitting to 2 routers, appartment and my house.
- my router is a dlink DIR-855, configured as a switch/accesspoint with firewall. (i hope) at least it's not giving ip-adresses.
- all computers running windows 7 professional
- all items in "home network" connects to the dlink

i'm using remote desktop on the server, but this is buggy, and disconnects after 30 secs idle time. as long as im working it stays connected. server will work as media server and backup for laptops.

server is supposed to share media with ps3, but i'm not getting connection. ps3 is on internet though.

i'd also like to access my server remotely from internet.

question:
what will be the best setup of routers and switches for this purpose? would it work putting my dlink as dmz-host on main router?

there might be information that i forgot or don't know that you need, so feel free to ask...