I need to let my new Video Card stretch it's legs

Gaming discussion, issues, setup, tips, latency, online gaming, game servers, console gaming, etc.
Easto
SG Elite

I need to let my new Video Card stretch it's legs

Post by Easto »

My new build is done. In case you haven't been following my posts in the other forums... AMD 7 3700X, 32 gig of ram, Nvme Gen 4 and a Radeon RX570.

With that said, it's been years since I've had a setup that could play games with any respect. I know my card is probably going to be best at 1080p but that's ok with me. Years ago I tried a Steam account but never really liked their business model. Where should I be dowloding my new games from? I enjoy a FPS every once in a while but I'd mostly like to get at least 1 on my machine so I can stretch this video cards legs and see what it's limits are.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I sometimes play "World of Tanks".. Great Graphics, free to play, but in-game you can buy "premium" tanks. It is downloadable directly from their website.
Steam has improved a bit over the years, some games are available on multiple platforms too. "Ubisoft Connect" is similar to Steam.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I gave WOT a try but I think I'm just going to go with COD or something like that. I don't like the idea of additional purchases in WOT. I'd like just to download an FPS and start shooting.

BTW, I was showing between 90-100 FPS in WOT. I'm not sure if that's good or bad but just throwing that out there.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

30 fps is the minimum, 60 fps is great, anything above is hard to perceive imho. You can see the changes in framerate though.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Different Subject: I'm looking at a COD version to download from Blizzard. Has the way you buy games changed? Like with the WOT they require you have an account and it looks like Blizzard is making me jump through a bunch of hoops just to buy and download the game. I don't need a Blizzard consol and other crap like that. I just want to find somewhere to download the game onto my computer and go from there.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Seems many have adopted that same concept: Steam, Ubisoft, etc. - they try to have you login to their "gaming platform" to download games, buy expansions/addons, so they can advertise new games to you, push notifications, reminders and so on to keep you engaged to their own platform. While they started as optional, many are now required for you to play online I think.

Similar concept to Google/Apple/Microsoft.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I finally installed COD Black Ops Cold War. The performance I'm seeing is better than expected. I'm playing in the 70-100 fps range and things look pretty good. I haven't had a game installed in probably 10 years. I can't even remember the last game I played.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hehe cool.. Graphics have definitely changed quite a bit. Screens too, what size/resolution screen are you using?

I had two 27" Asus monitors before, but one of them burned out, so I switched to two 32" monitors last year. Bought two LG 2k IPS monitors for under $300 ea. and they're amazing. I could've bought 4K VA or TN monitors, but I wanted IPS, and I like the desktop/icon/font sizes more on 2k at the native resolution and scaling. Those are the ones I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088Y ... 1-20&psc=1
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Unfortunately I'm playing on an outdated 1080p 60hz monitor. My wife has given me the green light for a new monitor so that is in the near future. although I am told my Radeon RX 570 card may struggle at 1440 and is basically a very good 1080p card.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

In my view, resolution depends on the screen size. 1080p is good for 24-27" monitors, 1440 is good for 27-32", 2160 is good for over 30", or the ultrawides.
Also, I don't game much, the majority of my screen time is on the desktop, web, text editors, or graphics editing, so I prefer IPS screens with true colors and don't worry much about gaming resolution and insanely low response times. I care more about screen real estate, readability, pixel depth (10 bits), maybe pixel pitch/dot pitch (pixel size under 0.3mm so it doesn't look grainy).

As to your RX 570, the FPS in games may be somewhat slower at 1440, but you will still get 2/3 of the refresh rate of your 1080p, you can also run games at non-native resolution in the rare cases where it would slow down enough at 1440 to be noticeable. Usually games have many graphics settings that would improve your higher resolution FPS, for example and triple anti-aliasing is not needed, but it would bump up your refresh rate considerably, etc. I do have a faster graphics card, but it runs two monitors at 1440 just fine.
๑۩۞۩๑
obradka

Post by obradka »

Easto wrote:My new build is done. In case you haven't been following my posts in the other forums... AMD 7 3700X, 32 gig of ram, Nvme Gen 4 and a Radeon RX570.

With that said, it's been years since I've had a setup that could play games with any respect. I know my card is probably going to be best at 1080p but that's ok with me. Years ago I tried a Steam account but never really liked their business model. Where should I be dowloding my new games from? I enjoy a FPS every once in a while but I'd mostly like to get at least 1 on my machine so I can stretch this video cards legs and see what it's limits are.
There are a lot of such games, depending on what you like. It seems to me that today there is no shortage of games with graphics that require effort from the graphics card. Now everyone is obsessed with the game of Cyberpunk. Try.