Strange Gaming Latency

Gaming discussion, issues, setup, tips, latency, online gaming, game servers, console gaming, etc.
Yamster

Strange Gaming Latency

Post by Yamster »

Hi,

I currently have 2 independent VDSL lines coming into my house but on both I get a gaming delay. It doesnt matter if it's PS4 or Xbox or gaming PC (Counter Strike) if you ever load a game to play online you get latency.

I ran some tests today using speedguides speedtest and running the test to the UK IP.

Here are the results

Line 1 with TalkTalk VDSl
Line 2 with BT VDSL

iPhone Connected Line 1 via wifi - Latency 27ms
PS4 Connected to Line 1 via ethernet - Latency 123ms
PS4 Connected to Line 2 via ethernet - Latency 147ms
2nd PS4 connected to Line 1 via ethernet - Latency 167ms

Laptop Connected to line 1 via ethernet - Latency 59ms
Laptop Connected to line 1 via Wifi - Latency 23ms
Laptop Connected to Line 2 via ethernet - Latency 20ms
Laptop Connected to Line 2 via Wifi - Latency 25ms

You can really notice the latency when gaming it feels like a half a second delay it's driving me crazy!!!!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I would try firmware updates tot he PS4s, also, are they connected in another room/location? The Ethernet cable to that room may have issues/interference if it runs close to some sources of EMI (electro-magnetic interference) as Ethernet cables are not really shielded.

As to the Laptop Ethernet latency being a bit higher, I would read through the Gaming and LAN tweaking articles on the main site to optimize the LAN adapter settings, mainly turn off any types of "offloads" other than checksums.
Yamster

Post by Yamster »

Hi Philip,

Thanks for the update. The 2 PS4's are in different rooms and they were connected with different cables. I also made sure there were not electrical equipment which could cause issues near by

What was odd was when I ran a speed test using Ookla speedtest the latency was not there.

Could it be a routing issue with the ISP? It just seems odd that it's only PS4 / gaming devices which are affected. The fact that there is latency reflects the experience i am having in game so there is deferently something not right
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

PS4s probably use different Game Servers than your PCs/Laptops. This by itself can cause the difference in latency, if the PS servers are more overloaded, or more distant. If you know the IP of the server, you can try pinging it from your PC/Laptop to see if the latency is better on a different platform to the same server.

Other than that, I am not aware of many tweaks you can do for latency on Playstations. You can try to set static nameservers, but that wouldn't improve your in-game latency. You can try to streamline the OS by updating to the latest firmware, clearing caches, etc. You should be using ethernet vs Wi-Fi, which you are already doing. You should try to connect to game servers near you, if possible. The rest is dependent on your internet providers. You can try and do a traceroute to your game server IP, to see where and how much the latency increases, not sure if there are any traceroute options of PS4? I suppose you can do a reverse trace from a website like ours.