PS4 (P2P gaming)

Gaming discussion, issues, setup, tips, latency, online gaming, game servers, console gaming, etc.
Neumenix

PS4 (P2P gaming)

Post by Neumenix »

Hi everyone

I recently did a ping test on this site: pingtest.net

My results were: Around 49-51 ping, 0% packet loss and 1-2ms jitter. It was a bit of suprise since I got way lower in this test: speedtest.net.

Someone pointed out that the former was a more accurate test.

I play a lot of Uncharted 4 multiplayer which is p2p (peer-to-peer) and I have only once experienced white plug once while playing. I'm not quite sure how p2p works but

I heard that the player with the highest latency gets host. I don't know if this is accurate.

I did get an A rating on pingtest.net and it said that everything should work well if the bandwidth is sufficient. I did a test on the PS4 and I get from 60-90 Mbps which I think is pretty good. Its a 100 Mbps connection I have.

My question then is how does lag manifest in a p2p game?
I'm just wondering how good my connection is because as I said I have never experienced any type of lag out of 100s of hours of playing. Is my connection in that case sufficient? Just very confused about all of this.

Sorry for the wall of text
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Ping/latency depends on many factors, the main ones being physical distance, congestion on the line between you and the host, and type of internet connection.

Speed tests from speedtest.net pick the closest server to you by default, and usually measure speed between you and that one location that is close to you physically, often with a major ISP within your city. Ping/latency tests on the other hand may chose a location that is a bit more distant from you, so you will get a different result. In fact, pings can be very different depending on time of day, current congestion on all nodes between you and the destination, physical distance, peering arrangements between your ISP and the backbones that route to your destination, etc.

As to your question, yes, your connection lag seems normal, it is sufficient if you are not experiencing any noticeable delays. 50ms ping is not noticeable and most games are designed to allow some lag. 50ms is 1/20th of a second round-trip between you and that location. That said, your ping will vary depending on who you are connecting to, their physical location, type of connection, etc.
Neumenix

Post by Neumenix »

Thank you for the response.

As to a stability of a connection: Is that packet loss and jitter?

In the test I got 0% packet loss and very low jitter: 1-3 ms. Does that mean my connection has good stability?
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

No problem, glad to help out. 0% packet loss means just that, there were no packets that were lost. Jitter refers to the variation of latency (ping times) to the same location.

Yes, your connection to that test server seems stable.
Neumenix

Post by Neumenix »

This is how my setup looks. Image

The router is on the floor above me.

There is also this type of switch. This is just for a wireless connection, right? Image

I have it connected like this right now: wired with a CAT6 cord. Image

I want to have a wired connection rather than wireless but my question is: Is it okay to have it connected like I have in the photo? Because it works, I get great results from pingtest.net. Just wondering if it is intended to be used as a wired connection. The plug with the 2 on it doesn't work.
Neumenix

Post by Neumenix »

Just realized the pictures might not be working for anyone expect me. Will re-upload when I get home
sinnerbaby

Post by sinnerbaby »

Excellent, PS4 is the stuff I need to play the extreme games in apknite