Old School - What you keep finding youself going back to?

Gaming discussion, issues, setup, tips, latency, online gaming, game servers, console gaming, etc.
Shagster
SG Elite

Old School - What you keep finding youself going back to?

Post by Shagster »

None of the online ****. Good old fashioned single player. What games do you find yourself going back to year after year to beat all over again?

For me its been Homeworld, JK2, MOHAA and C&C:Tiberian Sun

*edit* ARG, move to games, or keep here, whatever.
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

Final Fantasy 1 and 7

Tony Hawk 2

Starcraft

Carmageddon
Prey521

Post by Prey521 »

Lemmings, that game owns me!!
owned by pac0z atm

jeremyboycool

Post by jeremyboycool »

morrowind, fallout 2, civilization 2, botf, adom.
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking
tarpoon75
Advanced Member

Post by tarpoon75 »

Unreal...man do I miss that game. I lost my copy and now stuck with the demo.
burple

Post by burple »

Super Metroid
Test Your Speed Here

Previously known as beaker1.
Noevo

Post by Noevo »

Diablo II

Civ 3

Total Annihilation :o

hand
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

tarpoon75 wrote:Unreal...man do I miss that game. I lost my copy and now stuck with the demo.
http://www.buy.com/prod/unreal-antholog ... 54308.html
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

cribbage
USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum
Izzo
SG VIP

Post by Izzo »

Single player?
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

zelda a link to the past for snes,
loop2kil
SG Elite

Post by loop2kil »

Super Metroid -SNES
Adventure - Atari 2600 days but still fun from a nostalgic perspective :)
Zelda - Ocarina of Time - n64
Need for speed -Hot pursuit 2 - Pretty much the whole series - PC
Quake 1 - PC
F-zero - SNES
RBI baseball -NES - I AM unbeatable at this game
Mario 3 - NES
Master Blaster -NES -Still have not beat this game - no saves and takes HOURS to get to the final level where i die.
Super Mario World - SNES
Cypher

Post by Cypher »

Since I'm running MAME there's too many to list.

Recently I haven't played any games. FEAR was the last one I played through.
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

loop2kil wrote: Master Blaster -NES -Still have not beat this game - no saves and takes HOURS
i hear ya bro. didnt beat it till i was like 18, but i have to use emulator save states
downhill

Post by downhill »

Zork

I have a Zork mid around here somewhere..
Shinobi

Post by Shinobi »

Doom, Red Alert 2, Diablo
WhoNut

Post by WhoNut »

Legend of Zelda -pick one, I'm a fool for Link.
When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands at your head, or the trigger of your gun?
Mad_Haggis

Post by Mad_Haggis »

Hey!, no bad will=4x**** for what you are trying to acroos the ????

Boat?

If you don't want to swear here, than don't, if your wan't to *&** here than don't i'm trying my hardest but am not without sin :thumb:
BEER
Mad_Haggis

Post by Mad_Haggis »

I'm going to party with chicks

I know

Pics.
BEER
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hemm, just found this while looking up some old threads.

Not single-player, quite far from it actually, but still relevant... I used to play this huge MMO "Star Wars Galaxies" Sony game with monthly sub a few years back. At some point Sony dumbed it down for console playing, a lot of people ran away and it went downhill, then they stopped it.

Well, some guys started recreating the server portion of the game and programming everything from scratch, they've gotten the game to a very good playable state and you can play it for free (they operate on donations). The game itself is huge, there are player cities/housing, different interdependent professions, animals, cities and planets from the original Star Wars universe, land speeders, etc. They don't plan on introducing jedis just yet. I think I've somewhat swayed my two daughters from Minecraft into a more meaningful game like this :) ... If you like Star Wars, definitely try it, it's called SWGEmu. (note you do need the original client game disks or torrent to play it).

For single-player... I want to dig out Blitzkrieg/AoE and play it some day, if I only had the time, lol.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Solitaire
Faust

Post by Faust »

Philip wrote:Not single-player, quite far from it actually, but still relevant... I used to play this huge MMO "Star Wars Galaxies" Sony game with monthly sub a few years back. At some point Sony dumbed it down for console playing, a lot of people ran away and it went downhill, then they stopped it.

Well, some guys started recreating the server portion of the game and programming everything from scratch, they've gotten the game to a very good playable state and you can play it for free (they operate on donations). The game itself is huge, there are player cities/housing, different interdependent professions, animals, cities and planets from the original Star Wars universe, land speeders, etc. They don't plan on introducing jedis just yet. I think I've somewhat swayed my two daughters from Minecraft into a more meaningful game like this :) ... If you like Star Wars, definitely try it, it's called SWGEmu. (note you do need the original client game disks or torrent to play it).
Wait a sec, you played SWG?!? WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED?!? :p

Anyways, that was such an awesome game for me at the time, being the Star Wars dork that I am. I think I played for ~2 years before somebody clued me in to the fact there is a set list of accomplishments you needed to become force sensitive and get the visit from the old man. Got about 75% of the way through the initial grind through Aurillia and they nerfed it so you could just roll a damn jedi. Good times, though! There were some awesome class stacks like TKM/MD. Aaahh, the memories of selling 3 hour buffs in front of the Coronet spaceport, making DWB runs working on a full suit of mando armor and jetpack. Oh, the memories!

I kept playing until the lava planet expansion got boring, which was pretty quick.

Would I have to learn the game again, or would I feel at home in the SWGEmu? I never played it back then as it was supposed to be really buggy at the time.

As far as games I keep going back to, I can't even recall how many times I have replayed HL and HL2. If BF 1942 had PB support I'd probably play that, too.
"Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Yeah, I played for SWG quite a while since the beginning of it, had a TKM, had a jedi quite early too. I quit at some point when they nerfed it down for the PS crowd. SWGEmu is like pre-cu SWG, it's literally the same game before jedis, and the server gets 1000+ people.
Faust

Post by Faust »

As I was driving home after my previous post I kept remembering good times.

The biggest one was the crafting system. If you were a legit crafter with the right resources you wares were kick arse/sought after. Pulling a camp of Kungas on top of a camp of Jantas... Nightsister Caverns... and krayt pearl runs, and... well, you know.

I think I need to see if I even have the install discs anymore, and failing that a torrent.

Thanks for the nostalgia, man!

Edit: 2nd sentence was fail attempt

- Leo Szilard
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I like it because it integrates so much of the Star Wars universe, from planets/cities/POIs to the profession interactions and the interesting economy of the game. I'll miss jedi though, I hope they turn FS on sometime. I remember in the beginning the holocron structure had you master 6 random professions to become force sensitive, it was quite a grind (even with the macro structure).

I have a TKM with a small house near Theed on Naboo. My daughter hangs out in the cantina in Mos Eisley, she joined some entertainer guild there.
Faust

Post by Faust »

What have you done to me, Philip? What. Have. You. Done.

Seriously, though, good call bud. Just finding things or remembering things and thinking "oh, yeah!" is great.

Haven't run GTA V PC or Mortal Kombat X since I installed the EMU.

- Leo Szilard
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

lol, nice :) It's a great game, doesn't have the 7 Mil Warcraft subs but still, there is SO MUCH in there from the Star Wars world, planets/critters/housing/races/professions/etc.

Now, should I mention that other addictive little "Onslaught" game that used to be the thing before Bloons Tower Defense ? Anyone remember that gem ?
Onslaught 2 (only if you have time to kill) --> http://onslaught.playr.co.uk/
heike

Post by heike »

7KAA
Fairy Tale Adventure 2
Wolf 3D
Prince of Persia, the old old one.
Rubbi

Post by Rubbi »

I forget it!
Gummihorse

Post by Gummihorse »

Hey guys,

Although it is a bit of a hassle getting the old consoles out, I tend to get back to the following games:

Super Nintendo: Super Bomberman
Playstation: Parappa the Rapper and Um Jammer Lammy