Windows Firewall & Network Protection

General Network security, firewalls, port filtering/forwarding, wireless security, anti-spyware, as well as spam control and privacy discussions.
MagikMark

Windows Firewall & Network Protection

Post by MagikMark »

Hi Philipi!

May I ask your thoughts on Windows Firewall and Network Protection under Windows Defender?

Do we really need to turn this "on" if you're running pfsense in the network? Isn't this redundant? Will it cause conflict with other networking activities such as VPN and file sharing?

Thanks
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

It will not cause issues. You can always allow a program through the firewall. PFsense will protect you from threats outside of your LAN, but a local software firewall will also protect you from LAN threats. Yes, it is a bit redundant in small networks, however, the performance degradation is negligible with current PCs imho.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

PFSense is only acting as a NAT router between your computer and the internet.
The Windows firewall can block public traffic from the wild side if your computer has a public IP, however if you have a NAT router between your network and the internet...you don't have to worry about blocking incoming traffic. however, the Windows firewall can also help prevent malware from spreading across the LAN, such as if there's an infected computer on your network.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!