WPA3 - Do I need it?

General Network security, firewalls, port filtering/forwarding, wireless security, anti-spyware, as well as spam control and privacy discussions.
Easto
SG Elite

WPA3 - Do I need it?

Post by Easto »

I seem to be seeing several articles that say my router with WPA2 security isn't that safe any more and I should be buying a new one with WPA3 capabilities. Is this true?
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

WPA2 is secure enough if you use strong passphrases.
There was some security flaw discovered in the Wi-Fi standard itself, not WPA2. If your router has firmware upgrades from the last couple of years, use those and you should be fine. Newer technologies are always slightly better, but WPA2 itself is secure enough, and WPA3 is still not available for all wireless clients so you'd likely still have to fallback to WPA2.

The only notable exception is some larger businesses, where they have to worry about passphrase leaking and using different ones per client.

There are some vulnerabilities being discovered over the years not only in wireless standards, but also in operating systems, software being used, etc. Routers typically run some type of linux, busybox, curl, web server (lighthttpd), etc. and any one of those may have some security flaws discovered over time, typically addressed by firmware upgrades.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Philip wrote:WPA2 is secure enough if you use strong passphrases.
Thanks. My passwords are so complex I'd be lost without my password manager. I also check for firmware updates on my router about every 2 months. I guess I'm good for now!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Yeah, you're better than most, I wouldn't worry about it much more than you've already done.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑