Best port scanner for XP Pro?

General Network security, firewalls, port filtering/forwarding, wireless security, anti-spyware, as well as spam control and privacy discussions.
Senex

Best port scanner for XP Pro?

Post by Senex »

I am looking for a port scanner to provide a list of all open ports on my PC, and I need some app to help me shut down all ports that are not essential. Recommendations?
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hello Senex, welcome to SG.

You generally only need a port scanner to see open ports on a remote host. To see the open/listening ports on your end, you need to have it scanned from the internet (using our online security scan, for example), or, you can see listening/established ports using the "netstat" command in Command prompt.

There is a bit more info on how to do that in our FAQs here: https://www.speedguide.net/faq/how-to-f ... mputer-115
Senex

Post by Senex »

Thanks for the tips. So once I find out what ports are open, is there an app that can close all open ports at once? Basically I want to shut all down, then open ports individually as needed. Considering how many ports there are, I do not want to do the reverse...closing 7000+ ports one at a time would grate on my nerves!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

That's what Firewalls are used for, to close listening/outgoing ports. The Windows Firewall can be used, or some type of external hardware firewall appliance. You can also simply stop the processes/services/servers running on your machine that keep listening ports open.

For incoming traffic, ports are usually blocked by NAT routers.
RichardKing

Post by RichardKing »

Nmap!!! "System Mapper", it is the most mainstream organize revelation and port scanner in the history.

It's a free and open source application utilized by framework heads, devops and arrange engineers for security reviewing on neighborhood and remote systems.

[spam link removed by admin]