How tell if neighbor is tapping into my ISP wired connection?

General Network security, firewalls, port filtering/forwarding, wireless security, anti-spyware, as well as spam control and privacy discussions.
saraohyland

Post by saraohyland »

I live in a duplex. The owners live in the adjoining portion. Several months ago we were chatting and they said that they had put a splitter on the IPS wiring at their parent's duplex when they lived next to them, thereby avoiding a charge from the ISP. I just came home from a trip and noticed electricity had gone out for 15 minutes. I then started having trouble streaming and noticed a new unsecured SSID on the list of available connections. It has one of my neighbor's name. I also noticed that my laptop which sits on a comman wall wants to jump to that SSID. I asked them if they had wired into my connection. They denied it. Should I be concerned about the security of my network? I change the password monthly and renamed the SSID. Know I could call service company to figure it out but hate to get them in trouble. Any tips on how to tell if they wired in?
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I doubt that they're tapping into your network, it's all circumstantial "evidence". The fact that there is another unsecured SSID in the area simply means they have some type of wireless network, as most people these days.

To see if someone else is using your network, most Wi-Fi routers have a list of currently connected devices, and you can also monitor your bandwidth usage per client device.