Scan Guard ???

General Network security, firewalls, port filtering/forwarding, wireless security, anti-spyware, as well as spam control and privacy discussions.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Scan Guard ???

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Just read an article about this Scan Guard on smartwarebuster.org.

Is this legit? Is it any good? Or is it some kind of malware itself?
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

The company is pretty new, and that "article" seems to be just some advertisement.. I don't see the need to pay a monthly fee for home use virus protection because of the free available tools like Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Free, etc. It all depends on what fits your likes and browsing habits though. Even with paid software, I would choose one of the Top 20 solutions out there that are well reviewed and tested - ScanGuard is nowhere to be found on those lists. See av-comparatives.org for example.
dj3000au

Post by dj3000au »

If you Google for "scanguard reviews" pretty much all results tell you it is a scam except for one (probably an affiliate). I wouldn't buy it simply because it is not an accredited US based business (no BBB.org accreditation) as indicated here: [commercial link removed by admin]

Cheers
MarySelina

Post by MarySelina »

Take it easy! ScanGuard is an antivirus application which developed to protect your computer and fix the performance problems you may be having with your PC. Its latest version is ScanGuard 1.19.11. According to its developer, the antivirus software can protect you from viruses, malware, adware, Trojans, and malicious programs that target and steal your sensitive data. By removing any files with duplicate characteristics in just a few clicks, ScanGuard can free up some extra space on your hard disk to speed up your PC and enhance computer performance. If you have installed it and don't want to use it again, you can correctly uninstall it following this guide ...... [ spam link removed by admin ]
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Based on the first two responses, it looks like this last post, pro-ScanGuard, might be from someone at the company that puts out ScanGuard.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Yeah, this thread seems to be a spam magnet, some people are just trying to push this questionable software.

I would not use, or recommend this program to anyone. The company is sketchy, the "reviews" all seem like a shill for the product. The program, when installed finds multiple "threats" on your computer and then demands payment in order to clean them. It may be hard to uninstall. There are much better, legitimate, free alternatives out there.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Ashdaw

Post by Ashdaw »

Glad I never got involved with this one.
Main Computer:
GA97X G3
i7 4790K
GTX960
32gb Ram
1TB Samsung 860 SSD
NZXT Case